Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick Drums, so why not use the hubs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29RAT, Jan 31, 2006.

1. UPDATE: Machine shop said should be done this week and i'll send em out after that.

2. caddylakman

caddylakman
    from USA

ok, so these buick drums, that everybody always wants on their rods, come with a 5 on 5 bolt pattern, are are ~ 10 inch in diameter, and have a nice finned design on em. My first question is, what's so special about them being "buick" drums? Because the drum brakes on any 59-60 buick, olds, chevy, and my 60 caddy, look exactly like those "buick drums" that everybody wants. Is there something special about the ones on a buick, that makes them better than the ones on a caddy? What am I missing here?

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Chevy never used finned aluminum drums like Buick did. I don't know about Cadillac, but I've never seen an Olds with them either.

4. Alright there DONE! Picked em up last night, took longer than expected (sorry) I will be packing them up in the next few days and sending them out.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Sounds good. Thanks for the effort.

6. Are there any left ? I asked in the classifieds & pm'd several times, no reply.

7. Sorry! I was waiting for you thinking I had sent you the details, I had you in though and have a few extra sets anyway . PM sent

8. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Buick Drums are popular because they are Alum/Finned/12" so they fit on the old Ford setups. You may be confused by the 10" latemodel GM's.

Gm 10 Bolts in Camaro's and Firebirds. Aluminum, finned but 10 incher's. They look like mini Buicks but with 5x4.75BP

9. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

i wanted to ad to this post so i wouldnt lose it.... took forever for me to find it i was telling a friend what i was trying to do and said he saw something on the hamb just like that , i pmed 29rat but in case he is out of them does any one have an extra set they would sell?

10. Has anybody installed them yet? Just wondering if everything went together smoothly.
    Max

11. I still have a few sets for anybody interested.

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would like a set if you do paypal?

13. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

Inner adapters had VERY tight fit and needed heating but maybe it was just my spindles. Backing plates and drums didn't fit together very well but they needed some machining on the edges. Adapters seem to work great! And machining is good as well, bearings fit perfectly. Might be interested having another pair in the near future.

--mika

14. adavis

adavis

Please tell me these adapters are still available. It's exactly what I've been looking for/considering engineering. It's a relief to see that someone has already gone through the trouble of make them...that is if they are still up for the taking.

15. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hey mika,
    what wheels do you use?
    Michael

16. attitudor

attitudor
    from Finland

I´m using Pontiac '41 rims. 6x16in and 5 on 5 bolt pattern. --mika

17. Yeah, I bought a pair of the Doc's adapters......ultra high quality and perfect fit. I never finished up my swap before T-man bought my project pickup...

18. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Neat work but I just went all the way: Buick spindle, backing plate, hub, drum. The only work involved was reboring the Buick spindle to Ford king pin angle and bushing back to size. Some older junkyards will sell the whole shebang as cheap as they'll sell the hubs and drums.

19. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

I didn't look at your name and location before typing that last response but thought you'd like to know where the original idea (spindles, etc.) came from. I learned it from Bill Waddill back in the '60s-Flint's own Mr Hot Rod.

20. I am all out! If enough interest exists I can do another CNC run of these, let me know.

21. looz nutz

looz nutz

Hey 29ratman anybody called you to get more set of these adaptors? I want a set put me in line for the next run if there is another run. Damm I saw this thread to dam late. Thanks dough great work you have done here.

22. 51ChevPU

51ChevPU
    from Arizona

I was wondering if there are any adapters still available. Please PM me. Thanks

23. BTT Because I just got my Buick brakes and will soon be doing the conversion; I want to check all the options.

24. tttlesabre

tttlesabre
    from NY

Does anyone have a set of the spacers to install buick hubs. I am new to the site. Building a 1931 Vicky Rat Rod with Buick nailhead. Want to install buick hubs and drums. Thanks Doug

25. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Are there any more of these being made ? or does someone have a set they would sell? Thanks, Tom...

26. Sorry for the silence, seems like its time to dust off the cobwebs and run these again. I need to re quote the machine work since we moved to AZ from MI. Let me know who's interested, the more the better, they get cheaper with quantity. Last run I think we did over a hundred sets and they all sold, haven't heard any complaints. Rather than rehash all this read the past postings and research the tech archive for your options as there are many. I know its long but do it anyway so you understand it completely.

27. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

Put me down for a set---2 sets if it helps the numbers. Tom...

28. PS PM me so I can track it better - thanks

29. TERPU

TERPU

If you run another bunch please let me know.

Thank you,
    Tim

30. I have read this thread, but am still unsure if I can adapt my brakes to '32 spindles.
    Brakes:
    [​IMG]
    Spindles:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]