Register now to get rid of these ads!

buick drums in wash. state

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bottomfeeder pete, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Does anybody know of a shop or person in wash. state.(Wet side) That has experience with the machine work involved to do the Buick brake drum swap. I`m near Bellingham thanx Pete

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not on the wet side. One of my friends here could do it but I can never even catch up with him to bs fir a minute let alone to get him to do anything. His day job keeps him on the run 24 /7 until harvest is over.

I don't know who owned the coupe with the Buick drums that was at the E/W no overhead run a few weeks ago but no doubt they would know.
    [​IMG]
    That car had Oregon plates though. It does have Buick drums on all four corners.

3. Kato Kings

Kato Kings
    from Minnesota

What brakes are you going to use? Which hubs are you going to use? I may be able to help. PM me.

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I just had mine done by Hamber dubcee, he's in Enumclaw.
    Basically just the hubs turned down to fit the drums and drums punched out to 5.5 pattern....pretty much any machine shop should be able to do it.
    Look in the tech archives, there are a couple of ways of doing it.

5. i can do it all... turn the hubs to fit the drums , cut the lip out of the drums to clear the backing plates , turn the drums for new shoes , drill drum for 5-1/2" BC or change bolt pattern in drums/hubs. i just did 5 pairs (10 drums)

of course you would have shipping to mess with

6. I guess more info would helped.Late hubs (outside of drum) 39 backing plates and shoes.I was hoping to get it done near here. 36-3window can you pm me a round about cost? might fit the budget to ship. thanx Pete

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's right at 145 miles from where you are to Enumclaw Pete so that's 600 of driving if you have to take them down and go back after them later. You should be able to find someone closer that can do it though as it is a pretty standard job for a job shop machine shop if they have a general set of diagrams to go with. If you are going to have later model rotors/hubs cut down for the hubs that is a really simple job.

8. PM sent

have you checked into using the Buick drums AND hubs? someone on here sells the adapters

9. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

And I have the Buick hubs if ya wanna 'em Pete.:)

10. What do you think about the old way with a drum turning machine? A friend of mine has an old working one. He used it to widen wheels years ago he never did any Buick drums though. He says come get the monster, is this worth while? mainly want it for the drum project.It seems I read a thread here about it. anybody doing it this way? Any tips? Thanx for all the help.Pete.

11. what is this machine? pictures? i use a VERY old brake drum lathe for the drums , and my 10" Logan for the hubs

12. I am not sure of the make its 20+ miles from me it is pretty big. I am going to pick it up soon.I will get pictures and post them . 36-3window thanx for the pm I like them prices about 20.00 ph cheaper than up here. I think with that price its doable with shipping. I pm`d you earlier but screwed that up somehow.I will stay in touch thanx Pete.