Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buick brake drums --- HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cruisin32ford, Feb 27, 2019.

1. cruisin32ford

cruisin32ford

Bought a 32 3 window with early BUICK brake drums on the front. 1962 to 1964 or later maybe. Drum is 12 inches (inner) and takes a 2 1/2 " wide shoe. Hard to find bearings and brake parts without knowing what model, Wildcat, LaSabre etc. they came off of. My old MOTOR book only goes to 64. It says all models are the same for front bearings. Can anyone help clarify? I've tried matching bearing and race numbers at parts stores to no avail. On line they want Models. Any body have any ideas? It's the big hub. Thanks!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Most of the Buick drums on Ford pre '49 front ends use the Ford spindles and bearings and machine the drums to fit, using Lincoln backing plates, or the aftermarket equivalents.
    Not sure what you mean by "big hub".

kidcampbell71 and 36-3window like this.
  3. Do a search, no shortage of threads addressing this subject
    If using with old Ford backing plates, outer edge of breaking surface will need to be machined flush, with groove
    Can be done on a brake lathe. Took me awhile, but wasn’t hard

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. goldmountain

goldmountain

The car most likely has Ford hubs adapted to the Buick drums. How about a picture?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

36-3window likes this.

5. Ramjetus51

Ramjetus51

Cruisin32 sent you a PM

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So perhaps you have Buick drums and Buick hubs using bearing adapters like the ones 29Rat used to sell? Pictures would help.

7. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Like mentioned, it does help to know of your still using the buick hubs, that have been adapted to Ford spindles with adapters. If you say you have the large hub, that's assuming you have Buick hubs. There was a change in bearing style from ball bearing roller to taper roller around '60 or '61 I think. The style of car should not matter, but the style of bearing is a must to know. At the parts store, pick a random model, have them look up the race and roller and see if it matches what you have. You can do the same on online parts stores. Post the race and bearing numbers here and we can help find out your application...

8. Most bearings/races have numbers on them....unless they are worn off.....x4 for pictures !

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Since the OP's post is about a year and a half old, I sorta feel that hopefully he has resolved his issue:rolleyes:

Hnstray likes this.