Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick brake drum HOWTO - Follow up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trinary, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Trinary

Trinary

Mart - sorry I didn't post a reply earlier. The thread is locked in the Tech-thingy now, so here's my best at answering your questions.

:: Why did you need the delrin bush? Was it because the chuck can only get a grip on a relatively small area on the front face? ::

The only true surface on the chuck side of the hub was the inside - outside was rough forging rems. Not much for the chuck to grab on. I used the delrinto keep everything spinning true, and to support the work.

:: Why did you rederill the 5 on 5.5" pattern? The existing pattern is 5 on 5.5". I'm guessing it's so you can use the cap screws, which can take up the extra thickness of the Buick Drum. ::

I believe the existing pattern on the drum is 5 on 5, no?

:: I like the two step reduction of the diameter first to fit your gauge, then the id of the drum. was it a matter of luck that the guage id was in between the two diameters? ::

I suppose it was. The guage was liberated some time ago from a friend [​IMG] The guage isn't all that special, but that drill bushing is tough to come by...

:: Thanks again for the informative post, glad to see more people documenting their work. (tidier than my efforts I must add). ::

I've learned a lot from you all, just wanted to give a bit back. I had Frog leaning over me telling me what I just screwed up, so I had lots of help. First hub I started cutting on ended up .020 smaller than the wheel pattern guage. Luckily, I hadn't cut all the way to the shoulder of the hub....

:: PS. You might want to consider reposting the pics of your buddy's cart a bit smaller to stop the dreaded scrollbar problem. ::

Looks like Ryan will have to solve that problem now [​IMG]

2. Trinary

Trinary

NealinCA - here's your follow up.

:: I have some questions on the wheel pattern. Is that something available commercially or is that a homemade piece? ::

I see plastic ones at the swap meet all the time. Just borrowed that one from Frog. Seems easy enough to replicate, but the real issue is your second question....

:: Do you just use a transfer punch to mark out your holes? ::

Check out that drill bushing that's in the 4.5" hole on the drill press. That bushing is harder than a woodpeckers face, and accepts that .250" drill bit that's about to go in it. I don't know where to get the bushing.....

:: I am guessing the same method could be used to redrill rear axles flanges. ::

Yeah, I suppose so, but then I'm just a blacksmith pretending to play hotrod.

If y'all have any more questions, fire away. If not, we'll put this one to bed and move on. I have a bit of time on my hands, so if anyone needs a bit of this machine work done on their Buick drums, let me know.

3. Mart

Mart

Thanks for the follow up:
    thanks for the pm too, I probably would have missed the post without it.
    The 48 hubs are 5 on 5.5".
    I might try and make a similar gauge, looks pretty useful.
    Mart.

4. NealinCA

NealinCA

Thanks for the response, and like Mart said, the PM was great, especially at the rate posts roll off the front page.

I didn't see the drill bushing. That makes perfect sense now. I wonder if you could get by using a plastic wheel pattern with a drill bushing? Maybe you could at least use it to make an aluminum pattern...

Hardened drill bushings are pretty common machine shop items, you can get them here for example.

Thanks again, and I am glad your first post made it to the Tech'O'Matic, but too bad these responses didn't.

Neal

5. atch

atch

fwiw;

i pm'd ryan last night assking him to add these responses to the original post which now resides in tech o'matic. don't know if he can/will, but it's been asked.

6. Dan

Dan

Some woodworker supply stores sell the drill bushings, don't know if they are the same ones you are using but they sound like it.

7. Trinary

Trinary

:: The 48 hubs are 5 on 5.5". ::

Yep, the hubs are 5x5.5. But they're already .625" - needed something to bite. I suppose you could add a backing ring like Wilson Welding too for strength, but I'm only stopping a '28 Tudor with a flatty, not a 4500 lb Buick [​IMG] As a friend of mine reminds me, "Stop trying to build a f*$%ing submarine/space shuttle." Submarine for over-engineered (heavy), space shuttle for too precise.

8. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

[ QUOTE ]
    Stop trying to build a f*$%ing submarine/space shuttle

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, one of my friends told me to stop building mine like a tank. Then he went for a drive with me and shut up about it.