Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buick 401 harmonic balancers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nail-head, Dec 9, 2008.

1. nail-head

nail-head

Mine is worn badly on the outer wall of the sleeve, where it passes through the front seal in the timing chain cover. It's bad enough that I'm fairly certain it will leak all over my shiny new motor and freshly painted engine compartment.

I've found shops that will rebuild it, but that just means re-vulcanizing the rubber donut between the halves. I need that, too, but it won't solve the worn sleeve problem.

I can't find anyone selling new balancers.

I've learned I can have a later model big block balancer machined to fit. I don't want to do that unless I absolutely have no other choice.

Does anybody anywhere sell new balancers? Aftermarket, OEM, hi-po, anything?

Can that worn sleeve be "re-sleeved?"

Or am I stuck with a leaky front seal?

2. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

3. Fr. Buick

Fr. Buick

On a budy's old Inline 8 there was the same problem. I took it to the local parts store and they sold me a thin sleave to tap down over the warn part to give a clean surface for the seal. I imagine they have someting similar for the Nailhead.

Be very careful when you install the balancer to torque the center bolt down to proper spec - which I think is around 150 bound-foot. It will work lose otherwise and cause a lot of problems.

Check with Russ Martin at Centerville Auto Repair on the web to confirm. And he might have a good used one or a source for that sleave... Have fun!

4. AHotRod

AHotRod

5. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Try Bob Owens here on the HAMB (Flat-Top-Bob). He would be your guy to buy a nice used one.... He has a listing on the first page of the HAMB O'Dex as "Owens Salvage Co. - Texas"..... Great guy to deal with....

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've seen those thin sleeves for the Nailhead, I even have one motor that has one on it. I think they list as "repair sleeves"

http://www.fisherconcepts.net/Products/Dampers/Automotive_Dampers/body_automotive_dampers.html
    lists new ones... never got anything from them

the torque on it is really important. I'll check my manual tomorrow for the factory setting.

7. ray

ray
    from colorado

hit up an industrial bearing supply for the repair sleeve. they won't care what car it's for, they'll want the diameter of the damper seal surface. they will have it, or get it for you. very common thing in repairing industrial stuff.

8. nail-head

nail-head

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Looks like the sleeve is the way to go. I'll have the rubber replaced first, then sleeve it, then install it.

Russ Martin has the repair sleeves for $16.00 + shipping.

I've got a reproduction of the original shop manual with all the torque settings, so I'm good there.