Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bugattis at the Schlumpf collection - lots of photos.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by James D, Jun 23, 2009.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

The spring eye is basicly oval and the bolt that runs through it and a tab on either side has a bushing that allous it to slide. There are radius rods on both sided and a torque are that runs along side the driveshaft ant attached around the gearbox U joint. I'll find a photo tonight and post it. Fourteen years in a Bugatti restoration shop and you remember this stuff. :)Those axle trumpets started life as one chunk of 5 inch bar stock and everything was machined away and they were bored for the axle shafts, no brackets were welded to the tube.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been starin' at 'em for awhile. The Auto Union as well. I'll just leave it at that. ;):D The wheels are turnin'!

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing. Automotive art at it's finest with lots of detail ideas to take and run with. For any of us who are putting together pre WWII race car style roadsters the thread and photos will sure to be marked for future reference.

4. bgbdlinc

bgbdlinc

...my dad travelled to Europe several years ago and one of the highlights was to be the collection. When he got to the warehouse (after the brothers high-tailed it out of there), it was closed and an armed guard had been posted at the door. The workers at the textile factory had no idea the warehouse contained any such automobiles since it was always out of bounds. When the brothers departed they screwed the workers for their back pay and benefits, as I undertand it, and the workers seized the warehouse and magnificent contents.
    I can almost hear my dad's thoughts as he gestured to the armed guard (who spoke no English -my dad did not speak French, German, or Alsacienne) 'I didn't come all the way from Canada to be denied access -I've GOT to see it!'
    The guard was so surprised that someone would come all the way from Canada to see the secret collection, he gave him free access for a couple of hours -he was the sole person inside and I believe the first allowed in. My dad, an antique car historian thought he had died and gone to heaven and nearly pissed himself 200 times. Every time he turned around there was something unbelieveable. In the end, he thanked the guard many times over and left a changed man......

5. miller91

miller91

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Didn't Bugatti also make a supercharged moped? At least pretty sure it was a Bugatti...all in minature.

7. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I don't know anything about a Moped but there is a 1937 Peugeot bicycle with a Bugatti engine mounted to it.
    The B.T72 is a Supercharged 12.66cc geardriven SOHC 10.000RPM screamer.

Attached Files:

8. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

That's it, saw it once before, had to look a while just to figure it out, wonder what other creative stuff Bugatti did besides trains and bikes? These guys were something, that's for sure. Thanks.

9. A couple of details for you here, though not very clear...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. I recall reading (Road & Track?) that when the workers found out the bosses had been shafting them, they siezed the warehouse/museum and threatend to burn the cars, one at a time, until their demands were met. It only took a few burnt Bugs (makes me sick), before the government stepped in to quell the revolt, and save the rest of the collection.

11. What else?

Well there was this...

[​IMG]

More here...
    http://www.bugattiaircraft.com/plane.htm

12. That collection is just obscene and NEVER OT.

Ryan did a post with some pics of the plane a while back, but it wasn't that color, more of a greenish-blue than that.

I saw some guys racing a couple of those Talbots and Bugs last year at the Historics. They just sound awesome.

Thanks for the cool pics.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

One of the REALLY dumb things I did years ago was throw all the original doped fabric we took of the Bugatti airplane in the dumpster. just following the boss's instructions. I did keep a one square inch square piece, but wonder what I could have today if I sold all that old fabric one square inch at a time?

14. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Just the thing you want to hear with a Genesee Cream Ale hangover after a night of mud-surfing in the Bog. Here's a great sound clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZMPDCNyQxE&NR=1

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRSYTw9IBxg

Got to hear this one at Donnington about 30 yrs ago. Magic!

15. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Some kind of hot-rodded Bugatti motor out in the wind with all the attendant engine-turning and machine work. In other words a hot-rodded Bugatti Deuce Coupe. Imagine getting your hands on an original and rodding it? There'd be Alsatian villagers with torches and pitchforks coming after you!

16. That's the real happiest place on earth. Great pictures of some rare cars, thanks for posting.

17. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

I beg to differ. Motorboating on your avatar would be the happiest place on earth!

18. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

I have the book on the Schlumpf collection and enjoyed seeing how they look today. The brothers were bastards to their employees, but put together the ultimate Bugatti collection.

19. autobilly

autobilly

Mind blowing collection and excellent venue. Thanks for the superb coverage James D.

20. It's even better in the flesh/tin than the pics if that's possible, I was there in 1997 on a trip to France, theres also shit loads of other cars there as well - Jags, Mercs Fords etc. Take warm clothing - it's bloody freezing in there. Also - the area around each car is alarmed, I found that out when I went to take a closer pic of a Gullwing Merc...Doh!!!

21. Romain

Romain
    from france