Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buflo, NY Visit/My '55 Nomads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grandadeo, Nov 12, 2009.

1. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

We will be in the Western NY (Tonawandas) area starting tomorrow, Friday, for about a week due to a death in the family. As time allows I'd like to try and hook up with any H.A.M.B.ers and see what's going on in my old neck of the woods, especially N. Ton. Any cruse nights still going on this time of year? Also I'm reposting an old thread from a while back about looking for my old '55 Nomads I sold way back when. It would be great to know where they are now. Thanks

Lee

About a hundred years ago – actually around 1965-67 I sold my two red and white ’55 Nomads to a man who lived, if I remember right, off Harlem Road. One was running with a 348 W-block in it, the other had no engine/trans. I was just out of high school with no money or enough smarts to do much with them. I won’t pain you with the price they went for. Anyway, before I went in the Navy and subsequently moved to Florida, he had one of them finished, painted red with a 409 in it. He drove it to the drags and ran B/MP. Just wondered if anyone remembered the Nomads or the gentleman that made something out of them. Although I’ve always wished I had them back I never regretted selling them to him because he did what I probably never would have been able to accomplish, at least at that point in time. He finished at least one of them and drove the wheels off it. I’d appreciate any info anyone might remember of them or him. Not trying to get them back. I’d just like to know if they are still around the Buflo area and still being driven. Thanks.

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Well I live in Charlotte, NC right now but it seems like it's unseasonably warm up there now. Around mid 50's!!!

Doubtful on the cruise nights but good fellers like Thunderbirdesque have some really nice project going so seeing them in person would be a real treat.

Grew up off Harlem in the Sloan area but that was in the 90's so I doubt the car was still around that area.

Best of luck finding it!!!

3. Grandadeo,

What are you doing on Tuesday night? I have got a place to take you that you will not forget and tell all your friends about.

Pm me if interested.
    Jim

4. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Yep, give me a shout next week, Lee. I'll be out of town this weekend, but back on Monday. I'm in amherst, just across the blvd from Nton... Like Jim sez... If you're free tuesday evening, you're in for a amazing sight. Maybe I'll have to pry myself away from the car for an evening to head down there.:cool:

5. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

Then you've had Vinsiak pop....would you know a Trzepkowski?

6. that's still going on, I thought it was a warm weather event

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Year round unbelievableness...;)

8. If I didn't have a set of fresh 16 stitches in my forehead I would maybe tag along on that. I could just see driving the bucket and getting some fresh bugs in there...lol

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Across from Woodrow Wilson right? Actually I have never had it!!! Sure is a real pollack name, I'm surprised I don't know it:D:D:D.

10. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

It was on Reiman, just down from the sloan supermarket

2000, you would be too young,,
    There used to be a car shwo in sloan in the back of one of the bars that you could see from Harlem Rd

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Camillos!!! Definitely miss the meat department at the Sloan super market. Just can't find those in Charlotte.

Sloan's so small you can see all the bars from Harlem Road!!! And wasn't there more bars per square miles then anywhere in New York at one time???? What can I say, the Polski's like to drink!

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

WTF did you do?:eek:

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Sorry to get off topic. jrblack30 invited me to that tuesday night get together and from what I hear it's something that should not be missed if you can help it. Plus you can check out is 34 3 window that is getting pretty close to perfection.

14. leaf fight gone bad, took a snow shovel to the head
    [​IMG]

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Messed up your part man!!! Hate when that happens:D.

16. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Jeezus! Itll probably leave a bitchin scar and you could be frankenstein for halloween next year without much makeup. haha, That's okay don't feel too bad, I smashed my thumb with a rubber mallet while assembling my rear axle the other day... I didn't need stitches, but I had to drill a hole in my thumbnail to release some pressurized blood... not good.

Okay, I think we just railroaded this dude's thread into faces of death territory...:D He hasn't been back yet!

17. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

I'm still here. Trying to do all the last minute stuff before we head to the airport tomorrow. You sure have my interest peaked about Tuesday night. The only thing I remember about Tuesday was the Sports Bar cruise near Lockport. At least I think it was Tuesday. I have to take my youngest daughter to Buflo airport Tuesday afternoon. I should be able to sneek away after that.

Lee

18. pastlane

pastlane

Jeepers Phil... "It's always fun until someone gets hurt" I do hope you kicked that shovels ass.

19. Dooley

Dooley
    from Buffalo NY

you can also try the Pierce Arrow museum, if it is still open,
    I have not been there myself yet..anyone?

20. BigChief

BigChief

OK. I give. What the heck's going on Tuesday nights thats sooo cool? Maybe some of the other WNY folks would show?

21. Man everyone wants my secrete stashes and now where the secrete hangouts are.

Well Chief if you have the time, wanna come out and hang out Tuesday night? It is kinda hard to explain when talking about it, it is even harder to put into words. The coolness factor is off the chart.

Lets just say with 10 bucks in your pocket you will have a story to tell all your friends and then some. I almost forgot the most important, cheap BEER.

There is an open invite to anyone who wishes to attend. Ya just gotta know where to go and the important secrete handshake.:D

22. jgang

jgang
    from hamburg ny

jee wiz phil. thats a nasty looking injury. i too hope you kicked that shovels ass.

23. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Hey Lee, have a few charcoal broiled Sahlen hot dogs and some loganberry for me. Maybe some beef on weck and some Pizza Junction pizza and wings. Damn, I'm hungry now!!!:D Let me know about those Tuesday nights. Don't get into a situation where you might have to squeal like a pig-----:eek:

24. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

OT, but you can get Sahlen's hot dogs and other Buffalo goodies in Hollywood Fl., AND the place is easy to get to.
    Mark

25. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn, Phil, did you REALLY piss off the ol' lady ???? :D

What the hell you doing with a snow shovel? You guys haven't had any snow yet.

26. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Ouch Phil!

thats gonna leave a mark.:)

27. racemad55

racemad55

Post pics of the old nomads!

28. might be a few cars at the Dunkin Dognuts (on Sheridan near Ted's hot dogs) around 4-6 Sunday night

29. Grandadeo

Grandadeo

Finally back on line. There was no internet access at my brother-in-law's house in Royalton. But spending some time on 30+ acres was a nice change. My thanks to Jim for a very interesting evening last Tuesday including a flashlight tour of several buildings jambed full of some really neat old cars, trucks, and other stuff.

Did make it to Ted's one time so far for my Western NY hot dog fix. Got three jars of hot sauce to take back on the plane too. Sitting in a Niagara Falls motel right now about a block from the American Falls. Back to Royalton tommorrow then fly home to Florida Sunday morning.

Looks like nothing turned up on my old nomads. I don't have any pics of them. They were both factory red with white tops. The finished one was painted all red. Maybe next year I can make the Niagara Reunion and ask around there.

Thanks again Jim for your invite it was cool.

Lee

30. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Shit Sauce!!!!! Nice!!!