Register now to get rid of these ads!

Buffalo to Louisville for a Crosley

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ardyboy, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ardyboy

ardyboy

Drove down on Monday Dec 7 and returned to Canada on the Tuesday. This car was purchased by a couple of guys that belong to a loose hotrod group called the Rodfathers. Saturday mornings are breakfast and wrenching at Garys Hotrods and there's always a crew on standby. Purchase price including shipping was $500--they bought a few lengths of 2x3 to start and the rest is sweat equity(caused by beer consumption) and donated parts from far and wide.

Attached Files:

2. sololobo

sololobo

I don't know about the beer, but I see plenty of "crack" there!! ~Sololobo~

3. Cool JR..
    Old guys building an old school car..
    Nothing better than that..
    The Rodfathers have the concept of what "hot rodding & ONDR" is all about.
    Way to go guys..

Rick

4. Man that body looks better than I thought it would. Tell your buddies they're lucky my garage is full or that little wagon would be in Georgia right now.

5. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

AHHHHHHH! To much CRACK!

6. ardyboy

ardyboy

had to post that pic---parents are supposed to embarrass their grown children

7. ardyboy

ardyboy

just a quick update--the guys are having a riot figuring out drag race mode on a $0.99 budget. There's quite a few guys stepping up with gently used stuff to help get these guys to the track safely. What a great way to spend winter Saturdays. We figure the name on the car will be "borrowed parts"

Attached Files:

8. Cool build. Please continue updates. Also, would be interested in seeing some more pics of the innovative front axle/spring mounting arrangement. Thanks.

9. storm king

storm king

Nose needs to come up a BIT. To me, the definitive Crosely altered is the Breeze Brothers "Little Giant" Lot's of pics of it on www.doverdragstrip.com
    It was the first altered I ever saw a s a kid that really hauled. I still think it's the most perfect Crosely, ever. In any event; it may give you some ideas.

10. you guys are having way to much fun, nice project and worth the bonzai trip to pick it up

11. ardyboy

ardyboy

storm king--thanks. I checked out a few pics of the car and it looks cool---passed them on to the guys. If only they could "borrow" a pair of those 12 spoke Americans

12. barry wny

barry wny

Local Crossley built 350/400, scary fast pro street rocketship. Pics from a village parade, daughter is 15 now so must have been 10 years ago. It's still stashed here, I like it.

Attached Files:

13. ardyboy

ardyboy

couple of pics of their front end mockup

Attached Files:

14. Thanks for the front end pics. That's a cool way of adapting a parallel leaf spring axle to a transverse spring with those bolt-on batwings. Haven't seen that done before. Nice job.

15. ardyboy

ardyboy

fitting for power and office room--still within budget restraints($799.99)

Attached Files:

16. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

ARDYBOY...you stold that body for the price! you dirty dog. yea those body's are VERY rare. and i understand the length of your frame. it's ugly for sure, but form follows function. dragcars must perform regardless of looks. YES! can't wait to see further progress. please keep us posted you crosley theif! HA!...POP.

17. rod.father

rod.father

As one of the owner/builders I wish to thank you all for your kind words and encouragement. If it wasn't for the INSTIGATOR who voluntered to make the trip this project never would have started. The list of helpers and contributors continues to grow and without who's contributions of parts, advice and labour we could not afford to build the Crosley. THANK YOU. Other than the cost of the car I have to date $85.00 invested in the car.:rolleyes: One of the criteria of this build was to do it for $1000.00. HA! HA! an other point was to have FUN. We are doing that with the build and are looking forward to the enjoyment at the track. Not just the trip down the strip, but the social part too.
    The wife wants to know where we are going to stire it and how we are going to get it to the track. What a kill joy. Guess we will just have to rely on the futher generosity of friends.
    Hope to see you there this spring.

18. screwball

screwball

Are you guys Canadian or from N.Y.?

19. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Interesting build ...

20. ardyboy

ardyboy

screwball------------Canadian eh

21. rod.father

rod.father

Taking a break on the Crosley build to help out a fellow Rodfather. Dropping the front cross member on his "36 Ford P/U to get the oil pan off the cross member and to lift the front end gasser style so he can go street and strip. Ardyboy took some pics.

22. rod.father

rod.father

May have blowen the budget. Had to buy splined axles, seals and bearings. We will soon put this together and put in the new gear set. Going to examen the ride height and may radious the rear a bit more.
    Stay tuned.

23. ardyboy

ardyboy

Well--after a couple of weeks of helping out a fellow Rodfather get his straight axle 35 Ford pickup ready for the upcoming race season the guys decided to get back to work on the Crosley. Snow has been heavy this year and when you're depending on weekend shop time to get the work done, outside storage under a tarp is the norm. So, the first hour of work on the car is sometimes an hour of shoveling. The engine is in place and a cool set of zoomies were donated. Seat is situated. Tin work is coming soon.

Attached Files:

24. ardyboy

ardyboy

Well the nice weather has returned to the north eh. And the Rodfathers are back at it. The Crosley got it's last bit of chassis welding and a coat of paint. Body got a quick coat of white inside and then it was fit back down over the chassis. The Crosley is going to Chip Paddles garage where a little more time can be spent on the final assembly.Usually there's only a few hours of freed up hoist time at Garys during the week and on Saturdays. BUT these projects would never have got off the ground without his time and support. Brother Edds 35 pickup will be spending the next couple of weekends at Garys Hot Rods shop to have the brake lines installed and some final fit after jacking up the front end for the straight axle. The boys are looking forward to drag race season--that is if it doesn't get in the way of enjoying a beer season.

Attached Files:

25. ardyboy

ardyboy

the boys are back at the little sedan. Engine and trans are in place. Rad is mounted and the mounts for the front end sheet metal are in place. Brake lines are going in this week and then the wiring. Still have to install interior sheet metal and a firewall. It won't be long till we're ready to see it rolling under it's own power. So far the cash investment is at $1,401 and lots of begged and donated parts.

Attached Files:

26. rod.father

rod.father

It's hard to keep on track when you only get 1 or 2 days to work on your project and you are helping your buddies out with there rides.
    The gears are in, the gas and brake lines run and bled, brake pedal hung, intake on, carb being rebuilt, grass burners on (important part to the build!!!!). Only have to hang a gas pedal, build tubes and floors and firewall, wiring, oh yea, the fuel cell, and where to put the battery, and the rest.
    WE are getting there.

27. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i will be watching this one! im trying to get back to mine, 48 crosley on a chassis research 98 inch wheel base dragster. your getting me warmed up!

28. ardyboy

ardyboy

floors are being fitted and a 3 gallon beer keg mounted up front for rad overflow---the build is slowing down during the summer months while the boys take a little vacation time with their families.

29. ardyboy

ardyboy

pics didn't show

Attached Files:

30. ardyboy

ardyboy

Here's a pic of Chris behind the wheel while the car gets gassed up. It's running but there are bugs to work out, final paint and finishing . The car made it to the end of summer BBQ at Garys shop for a roll call picture.

Attached Files: