Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Buffalo NY to Bakersfield Ca... Hot Rod Reunion 2016... AA/GS 1933 Willys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ModelAPunk, Oct 20, 2016.

1. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Well it's a very long overdue trip... but we made it! My father and his crew chief made the trek with The original Ron Bizio AA/GS 1933 Willy's pickup and brought it back to the west coast... We'll be attending the 25th Annual California Hot Rod Reunion! The car is an original California AA Gasser built by Chuck Finders in the 1960's running a blown Chrysler 392 Hemi. It was Restored by Tom Wilford in the 1980's. Back to Bakersfield 50 years later for a cross country trip! Stop by and say hello! Looking forward to meeting new people, and hearing all the stories people must have about the truck from back in the day! Always looking for some original home movies from the 1960s of the truck too... Hopefully we can make a few passes and maybe even participate in the cacklefest! Looking forward to it!

FB_IMG_1473780788840.jpg

Attached Files:

oldsjoe, 550Coupe, mad mikey and 10 others like this.
  2. 296ardun

296ardun

I wish I could make it....I saw the Bizio Willys at Lions at night when it first ran, in black primer, unforgettable sight! Very glad it still lives...

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

mad mikey and ModelAPunk like this.
  3. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

So cool!! That was it's first version called the Cal Automotive Special. Would have been awesome to see that! You're one lucky guy! Haha I wasn't even born yet!!!

296ardun likes this.
  4. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Nice work!

ModelAPunk likes this.

5. Congrats Have a Great Time and dont forget to enjoy the weather we both know whats comming!! Hobo Jim

ModelAPunk likes this.
  6. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks guys! I'll try to post some pics as the weekend goes on!

7. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Ugh, one more reason for me to kick myself for not making it this year. Absolutely love the truck and had the cash in my pocket to buy it when it was up for sale. Good to see you boys doing it some justice. Tell Marty Strode hi for me, I'm sure he'll be checking in on things.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

ModelAPunk likes this.
  8. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

9. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

My dad knows Marty. He touched base with him and said he will definitely be coming by to say hello. Yeah we definitely enjoy the truck and love taking it out. It's one of my all time favorite Gassers.

mad mikey likes this.
  10. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Well I'm at the San Francisco airport waiting to get to Bakersfield... flights were delayed last night and got stick in Chicago spending the night... in the meantime my dad sent me this pic. They are getting Tech'd in this morning, and hopefully will make some exhibition passes!

Attached Files:

mad mikey and Stogy like this.
  11. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Outstanding job on the truck, really looks great.
    Hope you have a good time this weekend and get to make a few passes.

ModelAPunk likes this.
  12. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Ask Marty about the story of shoes flying across the pits at Woodburn Dragstrip. Saw it first hand. The Jackson brothers should still have videos of the truck from back in the day. My absolute favorite gasser as well

ModelAPunk likes this.
  13. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks! Spent long nights polishing up those magnesium halibrands! Haha talked to my dad, he was talking with Marty earlier. I'll have to meet him! I just landed in Bakersfield so time to head to the track!

hotrodtodd1960 likes this.
  14. '34 Terraplane

'34 Terraplane
    from Western PA

Jeff and son,
    What a trip to take ! You are indeed fortunate. Hope all goes well at the HRR. Be sure to include lots of pictures of the reunion on this site. Be careful and ENJOY !! ....Craig (1948 Austin P.U.)

ModelAPunk likes this.
  15. papajohn

papajohn

Glad to hear you finally made it! Hope all goes well at the track.

Maybe you could take an extra 3 or 4 days off work and drive something cool back for me.

ModelAPunk likes this.
  16. looks like it gonna be a fun trip.

PS, you owe me a Tuesday night.

ModelAPunk likes this.
  17. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Here's a few pics from yesterday... We were able to make 2 full passes. The Second pass was our best pass ever! 8.18 at 163mph! First we ran Chuck Lipka in his blown olds powered 40 Willy's coupe, and second we ran Tod Barker in his blown Anglia...

IMG_20161021_102053537.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  18. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

I will take better photos today...

19. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Larry Anderson... here is a pic of Marty Strode with my father Jeff, and his crew chief Jerry....

Attached Files:

296ardun, Larry Anderson and 550Coupe like this.
  20. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Craig, my dad said to say hello and thanks. We are having a blast! He said to tell you we met Rob Stuart from Austin works.

mad mikey likes this.
  21. Larry Anderson

Larry Anderson

Thanks for the pic bud. I've got a few more that Marty may have or have not passed along to your dad. Awesome to see what you boys are doing with it. Every now and then I catch her on YouTube

ModelAPunk likes this.
  22. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

ModelAPunk likes this.
  23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Man, this Willys is stunning going down the track, same way when parked.
    Saw it run yesterday.

Larry
    If your leg gets tired from kicking yourself, I'm more than glad to take over, once I've recovered that is, legs will be real tired when I get back home.

ModelAPunk and hotrodtodd1960 like this.
  24. hotrodtodd1960

hotrodtodd1960

Thank you guys for bringing that beautiful truck out !! Watched it run yesterday runs as good as it looks!

1940Willys and ModelAPunk like this.
  25. Probably the best looking willys drag truck EVER! It sure is my favorite. Congrats one the passes made. And thanks so much for posting the pics. The truck is stunning, what a great piece of drag racing history. :D:D:cool:

hotrodtodd1960 and ModelAPunk like this.
  26. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Checked the Willys out in the pits and run on the track. Awesome truck. Thanks for bringing it out.

ModelAPunk likes this.
  27. Offset, oldsjoe, Jeff Norwell and 6 others like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

What a treat to see the old truck again, and meet Jerry & Jeff ! This is what I started with, when I restored it 30 years ago. The second shot, is final prep for it's re-debut at Fremont in '87. I am at the front, Bobby Mead is wiring the mag-switch, and the painter, Dan Leuthold is at the rear fender. Bizio 1.jpg 2013-04-02 201651.jpg

Just Gary, T-roaster, swade41 and 7 others like this.
  29. Sparkswillfly

Sparkswillfly
    from Colorado

ModelAPunk and 55hdyman like this.
  30. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We drove straight home yesterday morning, I got home at @ 2:00 AM. Here are some shots from CHHR. Bonus pic is my Brother Jerry, building the headers ! IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0136.JPG IMG_0154.JPG 2013-04-02 202045.jpg