Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Bud vase identification/aftermarket??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shivasdad, Nov 27, 2017.

1. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Going through some of my dad's stuff this weekend and found a bunch of receipts that need to be put in order to trace the evolution of his AA/FA, but in the box was this bud vase. The mount looks to be for a very specific place with the curvature and I was wondering if one of the Amelia Island types might know if it came from a specific marque or was it an aftermarket item. No marks other than PAT. APPLIED FOR and a number 17 on the upper lip near the mount. IMG_20171127_082809547.jpg IMG_20171127_082835411.jpg IMG_20171127_082847337.jpg IMG_20171127_082922840.jpg IMG_20171127_082948242.jpg IMG_20171127_082951786.jpg

zukovw and olscrounger like this.
  2. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Most "Bud Vases" were an accessory item. The mounting flange gave the owner some leeway as to where to place it. Luxury cars had them placed where the occupants could enjoy the look and smell of fresh flowers in their vehicle. I have seen them mounted on the "B" pillar on some Model A sedans. You couldn't get too crazy with the size of the flowers, hence the term "Bud Vase" as the flowers would hit the back of the drivers head when mounted on the "B" pillar. Many companies sold them.

3. I remember those from playing with VW's years ago. When were those popular? What era?

4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

When I needed a set of bud vases my research said that they were available in what is now known as the aftermarket and that some auto manufacturers offered them. Most likely in teens and twenties and possibly thirties autos.
    I believe they provided an attractive interior appointment as well as serving as air fresheners.
    With poor roads, poor weather seals and natural materials used in interiors you can understand that certain smells might develop.
    I found this set on line from a parts dealer in Florida who had several vintage singles and sets for sale. The nickle top rings matched all the nickle bright work on this 1915 Milburn Light Electric Coupe.
    Class all the way and flowers with water were in the vases on delivery day. The cut glass matched the interior light lens. 102_2205.JPG 102_2206.JPG

scotty t and pat59 like this.

5. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have been told by collectors the mounts are harder to find than the vases since people could easily remove the vase but often didn't bother to remove the matching mount. Some mounts are for square sided vases, some for round.

6. Your mount looks distorted from the screws.

7. yes they are harder to find. i have had to make them for customers.

8. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

There is some distortion from the screws but this mount was never flat. Maybe it mounted in a dash formation? Regardless, thanks for all the responses. I may try to fit it on the dash of my future '38 Dodge build.

9. I've made a couple of bud vases for my never ending project. I haven't got the mounts figured out yet, though. I could easily make the rest of the 6-pack. So far I have about six cents invested.
    DSCN1161.JPG

john worden likes this.
  10. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Here is one in my 28 Buick. TC-28.JPG