Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bubbbba

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bob hindman, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Rand Man

Rand Man

We know what it's like, trying to make this old stuff fit. The starter plate fit fine, thanks.

2. Yeah, who woulda thunk that first burnout was so close, yet so far away...

3. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

WOW is all i can say!!!

After fighting some transmission alignment problems and a million air leaks Lindross and I got her done today.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/bonneville06/jim%20hamb/Mvc-005s-1.jpg

Dropped it on the ground and drove it out the shop door , around the building , lined her up and popped the clutch . Holy shit, this thing will get it across the parking lot!!!!
    I have the throttle set for only half throttle and had no problem smoking the tires. Now i know how you guys feel, this is great!!!
    Lindross asked what the tach was saying , and i said what tach ??
    All i could do was hang on to the wheel. Next time i WILL buckle up for sure.
    Bugs ?? You bet but what a challenge this is going to be!!!

You guys that havent built you one of these are missing the blast of a lifetime!!!

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Looking good. How cool to see it out doors, had to feel great to have it moving under it's own power. Now the real fun starts.

6. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Jim,

The car looks great. I especially like the way the Jimmy looks....and the cool front wires.

Ron

7. Made Uncle Otis proud today. :)

8. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Lookin' GOOD.

Handful o' fun, eh? DAMN, I'm looking forward to getting ours fired.

By the way, does ours have to look as pretty as that for us to run'er? :D

9. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Let me know how you feel at the end of 1320ft:D
    Any testing plans before Indy.

10. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Mac,
    This is much more of a thrill than i had ever imagined...:)
    We had hoped for a tuesday evening try out session before Goodguys but Goodguys may be our first runs etc.
    We will be very happy to just finish the full quater mile and not break anything at goodguys.
    I already think i dont have enough clutch.
    A clean straight 15.00 will make us smile. its all about looking good at this point right ???:)
    I am not a "track tuner" my ideas have always been unload run a clean run and "fight " the gremlins at home not at the track..:) i

11. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

You know with my old bracket car I refused to work on it at the track, it was always ready before we got there,and it always worked out. But now this over carbed old flathead running heads up just won't work out that way. It seems we are always looking at the plugs and rejetting the carbs. All so we can squeeze a little bit more out of the damn thing.:D
    I bet you run faster than 15.0. the KEY is getting the trans to shift right,trust me.

12. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Bubba, I hope you do not do like I did. Carried mine up to Georgia this past weekend for it's maiden voyage down the 1/4.
    It showed it's ASS!
    I have run it on the road in front of my house and it spit and sputtered at little bit when I launched it, but spun the tires and went. Well, when it hit the track, it did not spit and sputter, it would leave the line and then SHUT off, roll about a length and a half and come back on again. I tried everything that I knew to do and it would not do any better.
    I am pulling the intake off of it to see if that is the problem, so I am almost back to square one.
    Even though it showed it's ass, I still had fun!

13. Rand Man

Rand Man

REJ,
    Sounds like too much air. I've had similar problems on other race cars. Keep trying.

14. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Rand Man, I thought the same thing. I'm trying to run two carbs on this motor and everytime the second carb would kick in, the motor would shut off. Even with one unhooked, it still did it, but not as bad.
    I'm going to try a single with the stock manifold and see if it works that way, then I will start over and try again.

15. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Think you're right. Had that prob when I first did the BBD (two barrel) on the Toad, (temporarily riched up the idle and just rolled the pedal more 'til I could work it out, took a bit of tinkering).

We're hoping the vac/slide SU carbs will handle that aspect of over carbing ours.

16. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

REJ,

What carbs are you running? Can you send me a picture of your set-up, I may be able to help. I specialize in ignition and carburation tuning.

Ron

17. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hi Ron, maybe you can help me on my holley carb. It runs fine, but can't seem to make very much power, Do you know much about Holley 1 barrels on a stock slant 6? My best time was only 15.61.

18. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Ron, I'm running two BBD two bbl Carters, or I should say I was. Took the manifold off and installed a stock two bbl intake and carb when I got home yesterday. I need to weld up a pipe for the stock exhaust manifold and block off two holes on the exhaust and then I can see what it does.
    I built a log manifold and had the two carbs on it. The problem was that it was getting too much air when you opened the butterflies off the start line, but the plugs were showing the mixture was right after a full 1/4 mile pass. It is probably an intake design flaw, I do not claim to be an engineer, but I am sure I did something wrong when building the intake.
    I'll get the single running and probably run it that way untill I get the "race" motor built. It will probably handle the two carbs better than the stock motor.
    As far as pictures, if you look under the thread about the "Nightmare" being complete, there are some pics of the two/two intake setup.

19. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Well, seems if several of you were right on. Took the two/two manifold off and installed a stock cast iron 2bbl intake and ran the car down the street last night.
    I am going to have to learn how to make it leave the line without spinning the tires now. It spun all the way through second and half way through third gear. I admit I was leaving a little hard after the episode last weekend, but I did not think I was leaving that hard.:eek:

20. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

REJ,

It sounds like the accelerator pump isn't injecting enough fuel when you hit the gas pedal, and you have a bogg from too little fuel. With the engine shut off look down the throat of the carb while you quickly open the throttle. You'll see a "shot" of fuel come out ot the accelerator pump "shooter". The small hole in the shooter needs to be enlarged a couple of thousands then try it again. You'll have to creep up on the final size of the hole until the bogg goes away. If you make the shooter hole too large you'll get a bogg from too much fuel. This condition is similar to giving a cold engine wide open throttle in the winter time. The problem is compounded when you have too much carburation on a small engine. Just go easy on drilling out the shooter and your problem will be solved.

Another thing: remove your distributor and weld the advance mechanism so there isn't any mechanical and vacuum advance in the distributor. Then set your timing at about 36* BTDC. The engine will start and run at 36* all the time. You'll be surprised just how responsive the engine will be. Be sure to run good gas so the engine doesn't "ping".

Let me know how it runs. If you have any questions, call me at 816-436-6108 any evening.

Ron

21. Ron Golden

Ron Golden

Joe,

You simply have too small of a carb to make any power. Originally the slant 6's were in an economy car and weren't required to make very much power. Similar to the old VW bugs. The best thing you could do to a VW bug was to install a 2 barrel carb on an after- market manifold. Then they would run a little over 100 MPH.

Modify your manifold to mount a Rochester 2GC carb (they came on all General Motors cars thru the 50-70's). If you can find an after-market 2 carb manifold it will really wake your engine up and would be much better than modifying your stock manifold.

Also modify your distributor like I described in my answer to REJ above.

What are you running for an exhaust system?

Ron

22. Joe Hamby

Joe Hamby

Hi Ron, today I took that one barrel off and installed a Offenhouser four barrel manifold, with a carter AFB off of a fifty eight plymouth, and along with that a six into one hooker header, instead of the old exhaust manifold, this should make it move some air mixture, I never did believe what those earlier seniors used to say, "It needs back preasure", Thanks for your help Ron. Joe.

23. recycler

recycler

REJ, what Ron said about locking the dist advance is good advice. I'd do that if I were you. Our dist has been locked since day one on our flatty. Starts good, runs good.
    Brad

24. REJ

REJ
    from FLA

Ron, thanks for the info. I will probably run with a single carb for right now, and soon as I get the "race" motor built, take your advice on the carbs.
    Brad, I have an old distributor that I am going to try that with. I'm running the advance higher than normal now, and was assuming the mechanical and vacumn advance would put it in the ball park.
    When I was drag racing the bikes, we were running mags that had no advance and did the same thing.
    I may have to run a late model starter as I have noticed that when it gets on the hot side, it does not want to start. The old dodge starters were gear reduction and did not spin these things over very fast. I noticed that this was happening over the last weekend and thought maybe I had it too far advanced.