Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bubbbba

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by bob hindman, Dec 17, 2006.

1. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

The dual point conversion shouldnt change anything on a reg coil hook up and almost all tachs should work very well.

On the rev-pol i have it has two primary windings in the coil and each set of points runs three cylinders. ( a early Mallory set up)
    This makes me need a tach that will do three cylinders i think.

2. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the update. By the way expeience is pretty hard to beat in any game ?

So the bar is 12.42 at 107 mph for all to shoot for. :)

3. that all....;) :) :D

we better start extracting a few didgets...

Cheers, and thanks for the updates,

Drewfus:)

4. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

The Hornet Ramrods / the Red Baron Dave Lewis new GMCHA?GR were on display at Starbirds today and getting lots of attention[/quote]
    ANY PICTURES OF THE NEW CAR??? LOVE THESE NEW CARS !!!:)

5. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

Yup, or just use a 6 cylinder tach and divide by two as long as it will read high enough. A 14,000+ RPM tach ought to get you there. An enterprising person could actually make a new face for their tach so it would read right, but have a nice, wide easy to read spread.

Crap! I got that backwards! Never mind. I blame illness for my poor thinking.

6. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

or. . . get one of them schnazzy pulse converters. . . hide it someplace... nah, too eazy :D

7. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

ANY PICTURES OF THE NEW CAR??? LOVE THESE NEW CARS !!!:)[/quote] try http://wwwtulsachevys.comimages/starbird07/index.html

8. mudflap261

mudflap261
    from tulsa

9. Rand Man

Rand Man

You're missing some dots and slashes, but I don't see the new Jimmy car. Couple nice shots of the Ramrods though.

10. bob hindman

bob hindman

World Record 12.422 Et. 107.55mph.

Hiney One Of The Hornets.

Bring On The Meat.........

11. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Do you have the correct link?

12. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

By the way , nice job on the Baron car. What carbs and headers is it using??

13. Rand Man

Rand Man

14. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

15. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

SHORT UP DATE:

Got the HA/GR home from the show and have been working on the list .
    Been working on AFB carbs the last few days and have had some experiences. Got a matched pair of Chrysler/Plymouth AFBs on there now and fixed the intake leaks. WOW engine sounds really good.

I have aquired a couple extra AFB early carbs if anyone wishes to try one on there HA/GR car.
    They are pretty hard to find in working shape but they fit the pre 1962 guideline pretty well. They were used from 1958 up on tons of cars and range in actual cfm.
    I will do a tech post on this forum on a couple of them as i get time.

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i honestly say i cant wait to see this car bud :D

17. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Yeah! I can't wait to see it in the lane next to me.:)

18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

WED NIGHT UPDATE:

Wed night is hot rod night at the shop and we got a few issues put together .
    My tach problem is prety well figured out. Te Mallory rev pol when used on a six cylinder has two coil primarys and a three lobe cam in the distributor. This means that the distributor has two sections firing three cylinders each. It also means we cant run the engine hooked to both sides at the same time. So we have to run the tach using only three cylinders. No one seems to make a a tach for a three cylinder so the next best thing is a four cylinder selection. Using the four cylinder setting works well but the reading is off 25%, so 6000 actual engine rpm is reading 4500 on the tach.
    So we are creating a new HAMB tach face with new numbers etc. I took the face off a new tach and will take it to the graphics shop next door in the morning. ( Will post a pic when done).
    We tried out our secret weapon ( only if needed :) ) tonight to see if she fits the seat and can see over the steering wheel. Her name is Jody and she weighs in at 110 lbs. May need the weight advantage when we run Hiney?? What ya think??
    Got the engine running really well with the new ( rebuilt) pair of afb's and it starts and runs really good for now, still go a couple little bugs on the list but we should get to the burn out stage soon.
    Also i want to weigh it out with some portable scales front to rear ratio and total weight.// Any one done this ??

Hiney or anyone heard the deal regarding Goodguys Indy ??? Should we be signing up?? Other classes have got their entry blanks in the last couple days????

19. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Bubba
    You shouldn't worry about Hiney because the flathead guys have some secret weapons of our on.:D
    I'm workin on the Indy deal now,should know something real soon.
    It's lookin good.

20. bob hindman

bob hindman

21. bob hindman

bob hindman

talk to meee.....

whats going on..

HINEY ONE OF THE HORNETS....

22. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Not much maybe next week i can get another update after our first burnout or something.
    I heard you guys were going to run a stick shift at Indy?? Any truth to that rumor.??:) :)

Just kidding !! Made that one up on my own, how am doing ???

23. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

HAHAHAHAHEHEHEHOHO Now thats funny right there.:D :D

24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Been more than a little busy with other projects and every now and then my real job gets in the way.
    Thought i would share my latest up date on the HA/GR project.
    Remember i had a tach problem with the use of the period Mallory 3 lobe cam Rev Pol ignition system? The coil is divided into two banks of three cylinders each. The thought was that at higher rpm this would increase spark output based on a twin primary coil. I actually found another new old stock coil for a spare and decided to use this system after running it on a distributor machine.
    The problem came when i tried to hook up a tach. There doesnt seem to be a three cylinder tach.
    The answerr seems to be to find a tach with a four cylinder setting switch and then the reading would be off by 25% as the signal was three and the tach was thinking four.
    Knowing it was 25% off i had my friend Pete at Freelance Grafics ( shop next door) make me a HAMB face with the new settings scaled to read the correct 25% lower numbers.
    Knowing this engine should not be spun much over 6000 makes it easy to just stop at 6000.
    So there , is this the first ever HAMB tach ???:D :D

Attached Files:

25. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

How cool is that,Man you do such good work make 12 more.:D :D

26. Yeah, anything past 6000 should be labled as mach speed. :D How about that killer roadster in the background. :cool:

27. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

What roadster? I cant see past the steering wheel, that thing is beautiful!:D

28. monzadood

monzadood
    BANNED

that steering wheel gave me a woodie.

29. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

A May update on the HA/GR Waffle House Special:

I had read somewhere that 10% of a car build takes 90% of your time. That seems to be true with this car. We have been so close ( yet so far) for our first burnout it seems.

Problem :
    1- Carbs- First of all finding good early afb carbs is a bit of a problem and i have built a few in the last few weeks and ran them on my test engine ( a flathead:) ) and finally just tore all the intake tubes down and had every part milled as i felt i had a air leak i just couldnt over come. Well that fixed that problem engine now sounds really good with a lopey idle you would expect from a roller camshaft.:)
    2-Front wheel studs, using a 1937 Morris front axle makes finding some parts ( like wheel studs) a problem . The hubs really wont allow replacement due to construction etc and we had to make new lug nuts ( 6 lug wheels) and that required a world search for the correct tap. Tuck next door got them done last week and we torqued them all on the car.
    3-A new problem with a drivetrain vibration when running on the jack stands . Removed engine for another input shaft to transmission and blow proof housing alignment inspection. It now appears that the engine adapter ( required for the GMC) is off center quite a bit. The locating dowels for the chevy lakewood housing are off to one side some. ( enough to make it bind the shaft).
    I bought this adapter a few years ago from a supplier on the inliner site and never did like the overall appearance of the plate, looks like a major redo for sure. I will go to Bendtsons this time for sure.

On the bright side , looks like we have narrowed it down to just this problem before a test drive , other than a clutch petal change ( for driver comfort). Looking forward to Indy Goodguys and the HAMBer Spam a Rama......:) :)

30. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

a couple pics:)

Attached Files: