Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bruce Meyer's "Used Cars"...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 10, 2013.

1. That, to me, is what a hot rod show should be. No drama, just a couple of guys shooting the breeze about cars. He also owns the Frank Mack roadster which was the car the hooked me into hot rods. I met Alex Xydias at Pebble Beach and he and Bruce were showing the belly tank. Great memory.

2. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

Maybe it's a lending library and those mark places of books that are checked out....

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The thing about Bruce that amazes me the most is his memory. He was introduced to me one time (by Jay actually) and ever since then he acts like we are old buddies. I saw him in Vegas last year and sheepishly walked up to him thinking there was no way in hell he'd remember who I was.

"Mr. Meyer? Hi, I'm..."

"Ryan! How are you!? Great to see ya!"

Just a really, REALLY great guy. He makes everyone around him feel important.

Harms Way and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Fenders

Fenders

sorry I don't get it... if he didn't have those cars, someone else would, and we would be congratulating that someone else.......

5. Fenders

Fenders

Not to busy to remember Ryan.....

6. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

i went to see bruce's new place during duece week and when i got home and was showing my brother in lar the photos he said, "hey that's bruce meyers, he is one of my clientes. I've leased him a few building on wilshire Blvd." NOW I AM WAITING FOR THE "REAL HOOK UP"

btw, what the hell was i thinking with that beard, :confused:

Attached Files:

7. Normant93

Normant93

The hallmark of a true Gentleman......

Incredible collection, pretty near all my favorite cars!

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

Super nice guy, I was lucky enough to meet him at the Amelia Island Concours DeElegance here in Florida. Along with Tommy Ivo!

9. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Great Guy, Great collection!

Pierson 34 is my alltime favorite!!!

10. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

That '60 Corvette is one of the all time best cars ever!!!!!!!!!

11. gilby's garage

gilby's garage

real estate investments

12. 296ardun

296ardun

The hobby needs guys like Bruce Meyer, yes, if he didn't do it, maybe someone else wood, but the point is that he gets it, knows how to invest to preserve some of the greatest hots built, and all of us thank him for that...and thanks for posting the video.

13. This statement is naive & you obviously don't understand Bruce's contribution to the Hot Rod industry. Yes, he owns these cars, but it is what he has done with those Historic Hot Rods that matters. Bruce is a major reason Hot Rods with important historic achievements are restored and not turned into some Street Rodded POS.

Bruce started collecting Historic Hot Rods in the 1980s when they were considered worthless old Hot Rods & not at all fashionable. He & others helped change the mindset of the car world that Hot Rods were not some bastard step child of the car hobby but an integral part. Bruce & Dean Batchelor helped introduce a Hot Rod class at Pebble Beach, this helped legitimised Historic Hot Rods in the same vain as Historic race cars. This has made Historic Hot Rod value much greater which helps protect these cars from future modification.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

actually, he never really owned it or even sat in it...but he did pay for it.

15. daddio211

daddio211

I had followed Bruce's adventures somewhat, albeit from a distance. You know, magazines, internet, stuff like that. I had the greatest admiration and respect for him, because he was literally seeking out historically significant hot rods and returning them to their former glory. I mean, REALLY, what a guy!

In 2007 we were down for LARS and it was an exceptionally hot weekend. My dad and I were wandering through the cars at So Cal's open house (my wife and mom were hiding in the shade) when I spotted Mr. Meyer. He was alone and I saw an opportunity. In typical fashion I made a bee line for him, extended my hand introducing myself and expressed my sincere gratitude for what he had been doing to preserve our history.

He very warmly looked me in the eye and said, "Eric, that might be the greatest compliment I've ever had." I didn't really intend it as a compliment, just wanted to show my gratitude, but I'm glad he took it as a compliment. What he's done in recent years is unparalleled in my mind.

I stood and chatted with him for about 20 minutes when a middle aged, smaller man who looked strangely familiar walked up. Bruce let me finish my sentence, grabbed the guy around the shoulder and said, "Jimmie, I want you to meet my good friend Eric."

Jimmie Vaughn shook my hand and we all talked hot rods for a few more minutes. I was clearly out of my element at this time, so I said good bye. My dad was quick thinking enough to shoot the photo below, thanks dad! RIP.

To this day that is one of the highlights of my life. I'm not star struck, and could care less about celebrities, but as Ryan said Mr. Meyer has a way of making you feel important to him. Special, even.

Thanks Mr. Meyer for all you do, and making a GREAT life memory for me!

Attached Files:

16. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Bruce is such a classy guy and he really knows his stuff. Adam should let him do the talking next time. :rolleyes:

17. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

Amen brother!!!

18. Gator

Gator

I know it's not HAMB material, but MAN I love that TestaRossa...

19. It doesn't matter if it's HAMB material. It is a beautiful automobile and any one that objects is just making a social statement that has nothing to do with cars.

20. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

And that's all that counts really, right?

21. I too attended the Duece week tour of Bruces place.
    Great guy with even greater cars. He has an eye for the right stuff.
    It was truly an honor to be allowed to mingle among these cars!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yes He owns Geary's ,... And he makes investments. But Bruce is a passionate Hot Rodder first and foremost. I met Bruce through Gray Baskerville Just before Bruce made the deal on the Frank Mack Roadster... What impressed me the most was our phone conversations when we were talking about historical Hot Rod s that had yet to be found or lost to time, grabbing names out of the air of these cars, and Bruce knowing "in detail" just about everything about them.

His passion runs deep and we can thank him for taking historical Hot Rods to the elevated position they are now. When the Doane Spencer car was first finished, I got a call from him to tell me that it would be shown at Pebble,... He said, "Why don't you come out for the show ?" I laughed and told him I just couldn't find the time... (truth is I couldn't afford it at the time) But just knowing I would hear from him from time to time to talk about historical cars was a trip,... and still is.

We have stayed in touch over the years, And he is a true gentleman, a regular guy and a hot rodder to the core. During a conversation with him years ago I asked "who do I call to get a Peterson shirt for Frankie ?" (Frank Mack)... He stopped for a second and said "Dennis, would you mind if I gifted it to him ?" I had no problem with it,... A few days later I got a call from Frankie, all excited about this box with all kinds of Peterson shirts and things in it from Bruce. When I called Bruce about Franks death, there was flowers from him at the funeral..... A man Bruce never met face to face and yet respected.....

You will never hear me say anything against Bruce,... And anybody that doesn't like him or is jealous of him,..... dosen't know him... Not only does he have this awesome collection of Historical Hot Rods,... perfectly conserved and preserved... But he shares them with everybody that loves them , instead of hiding them away.......

Bruce Meyer is one incredible guy,.... And I am proud and humbled to know him.

23. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Awesome video and what a neat collection! I'm happy for him and the cars he loves. He's got a bunch of the cars I'd like to own that's for sure.

24. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Very well put Dennis.

25. weez

weez

Just remembered something about the Frank Mack car... don't know what year it was, but as familiar as I am with it, I didn't know at the time that it still existed. I was on my way to work heading west on Magnolia in North hollywood and I saw the Frank Mack roadster getting off the 110 freeway in morning traffic! Just about blew my mind. Kinda like seeing Bogart walk into Starbucks, it just didn't compute- I found out shortly afterwards that Bruce had bought it, so it must have been him- it was neat to see it unexpectedly like that-

26. seatex

seatex

Hot Rod Hero....................good on Bruce!

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

HAHAHAHA... Great story.

28. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

When you think about it in the context of what happened to the Kookie car, deals like this become important. It's nice that he lets folks see the cars as well. (Kind of funny to see all these straight arrows in suits at Pebble Beach checking out Hot Rods though.)

29. he said he was 71 ?? wow must be the good living... seems like a very cool guy and very generous with his time and cars....

30. LTM75110

LTM75110

Cool dude for sure, Two of my favorite cars, Prufer`s 32 and the black Gull wing.