Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Broken trim stud

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lcfman, Jul 9, 2014.

1. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I have a rare piece of aluminum trim with a steel backing support that has a broken mounting stud that I need to try to repair. There is about 1/8 inch of the steel stud still remaining to attach a repair.
    Does anyone know a good repair?

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

is it really steel or pot metal?

You could TIG weld it carefully or maybe use some sort of epoxy if it doesn't take much load or vibration.

3. Pics of the part would be helpful....

4. missysdad1

missysdad1

I've had success drilling out the old stud - being careful not to drill through the part - and tapping the new hole with a bottoming tap. Then install a new stud using red Lock-tite. Use anti-seize when you reinstall the trim so the new nut doesn't freeze on the new stud. Good luck!

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

There's a thread here named 64 Comet Caliente Convertible, look it up. There you can see how Jeff fixed some trim pieces with epoxy, sheetmetal, and screws.

6. Gerrys

Gerrys

7. 3M attachment tape works in a pinch and here is a newer size gets .090 thick

8. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Send me a pm, and some pics... I do alot of trim resto... I could give you a walk through...