Register now to get rid of these ads!

Broken axle removal tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buds56, Sep 25, 2009.

1. buds56

buds56

I was "testing" the 327 in my 55 chevy last night and snapped the left rear axle. Its a 57 ford 9 Inch posi 28 spline. the axle broke in the middle, I tried a large magnet, small nylon rope with a loop, no success Any ideas or tips to get the broken axle piece out?

Attached Files:

2. troylee

troylee

Try taking the other axle out and pushing it out. Hopefuly nothing twisted, then its beatin time.

3. Take the oppsite side and raise it higher and try with the magnet, but prob have to pull the rear and tip it so it can fall out, next get 31 spline axels.

4. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

I made what looks like a noose on a pole, from MIG welding wire. Looks like the ones they animal guys use to catch snakes. Usually you can grab the end and pull it out. You won't be able to knock it through from the other side if you have a posi carrier. Got pretty good at fishing them out on the 57 Chevy I used to own.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Use a gas welding rod or a old wire coat hanger,.... bend a loop into the one end just a little larger than the axle diameter (back to itself and twist it together,.. so it looks like a lollypop) and bend it on a 45 degree angle (so it looks kind of like a golf club),..... it should bend enough to go over the axle stub, and then tighten up as you go to pull it out.

Sorry about the visual picture painting, hopefully you can figure out what I am talking about.

6. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

I do more work on 44's than anything else so forgive my question... Dont all 9" rears have a easy to remove center section? Why not pull it and push the shaft out? I had to do that on a Jeep in the middle on the run miles from town.

7. Harms Way

Harms Way

The center section won't come out of the housing if the axle is still in it. it would come out about 1 inch and then the axle stub would hit the tube.

8. Bitchin55Merc

Bitchin55Merc
    from Dallas, GA

Like was said above, remove the other axle as well as the center section and push it through. Clean the housing of any metal shavings that may be in there. Saw em do it in a NASCAR race a couple of weeks ago and they kept the driver on the LEAD LAP!! Most incredible thing I've ever seen on pit road.

9. RAY With

RAY With

Never ever saw a ford axel break in the middle but if thats the case the spline is twisted in the 3rd member and it will come out but it will take a lot of pulling force to get it out of the spider spline. I suggest making a noose like your doing and tie the other end around the center of a mounted tire and swing it between your legs and shock it out like a slam hammer. This is how we use to do it at the track. If you had a small chain it would work better . My thoughts.

10. Hear ya go.....

Attached Files:

11. Andamo

Andamo

That happened to my '52 Ford years ago. I ended up getting a long length of clothsline and kept stuffing it into the axle tube leaving one end stick out the end of the tube. Then I started the car, put it in gear and slowly let out the clutch. The axle wrapped itself around all the rope and then I shut off the car and was able to go back and pull on the rope and the broken section came right out with the rope all wrapped around it.