Register now to get rid of these ads!

Broke the easy out in the block, now what?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wicked Tin, May 16, 2012.

1. Glad you got it. 4 hrs grinding on a busted easy out is enough to make the pope start cussing and drinking.

2. titus

titus

Carbide Burr!:)

3. tooljunkie

tooljunkie
    from manitoba

the high end bolt extractors are less likely to break,snap-on for example.
    the carbide burr works extremely well.i had a hard 8 mm bolt that a drill wouldnt touch-not even mark it.carbide ball burr 1/4" diameter allowed me to grind bolt entirely out of hole,i was able to steer it due to the ball shape.
    had to use a cordless drill very very slow and compressed air to blow filings away.

i broke two taps off-in the same hole.turns out i started tap crooked (10-32) and as it went in so far it would crack and break.
    hammer and a sharp punch and SAFETY GLASSES (not mentioned in this thread once ,btw) to break them out.got a chunk of hard steel in the face more than once that drew blood.
    teeny bolts and taps are the worst.

caterpillar drawbar broke off,1-1/4 bolts,drilled big holes and sawed out a piece with metal jigsaw blade,slipped piece out and out it came.

4. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

Hope I got this right but Rusty O'Toole has the best Idea. The torch will melt the hardened easy out and not damage the threads. I've done it and the cast of the head will not melt as quick as the hardened steel.

5. gasser john

gasser john

I third this idea as long as you have some bolt left to weld to. works like a charm if so. good luck

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If you want to try the torch technique there is a knack to it. The bolt or easy out will get red hot before the surrounding cast iron. If you have the torch set just right and hit the oxygen at the right instant you will blow the bolt out and never hurt the threads. You will want to run a tap thru the hole but even that is not always necessary. The trick is to have the torch exactly on the right spot and blow out the bolt at the exact right moment. If you fart around too long you will heat up the surrounding metal too much and melt it along with the bolt.

Like I said there is a knack, but it is not very hard to learn. If you are handy with a torch by the time you do 5 or 6 holes you should be pretty good. Go to work in a muffler shop and this will take, a few days or a week. Practice on something cheap, or an old part you don't care about.

O ya stand to one side out of the way of the shower of hot sparks blowing back at you.