Register now to get rid of these ads!

Broadway Bob has passed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by von zipper, Jul 27, 2012.

1. von zipper

von zipper

Just read that Bob made his last ride on the Green Momba! R.I.P.!

Attached Files:

2. R.I.P. Bob. What a ride he had.

3. robber

robber

Got to see the "Green Mamba" at Lions in 1969:D There was nothing quite like the "Mamba" before or since... Thanks "Broadway"! ...RIP Bob.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  4. awsomeears

awsomeears

My memory of Bob at his nuttiest is on Labor day weekend ( or one of the big shows ) in the early 90's when it rained for 15 mins and they decided to run 4 jets down the track to dry them.

Bob grabbed a can of Beer and sat on it for most of the 1/4 mile.....

One true showman ...

5. robber

robber

I should have mentioned that the car "Green Mamba" was Doug Roses creation, 1st built in 1967. Its been crashed, stolen, found, rebuilt and still exists and wows crowds. Broadway Bob (Bob Metzler) is one of the finest dragracing promoters of all time. He was known for riding on the nose of "Mamba":) (sometimes with a beer in hand).

6. ardyboy

ardyboy

Rest in peace Bob

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Got to see him in person only once at Indy. He was like a rock star! I heard he would often put the fans and racers needs before his own and give em' a good show. Sometimes at his own personal financial loss. R.I.P. There may never be another like him.

8. slammed

slammed

9. Sad day....RIP Bob.....

10. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

thanks for the great times and for building "Da Grove" into something special

I will be thinking of Broadway tomorrow as I make my first pass down the track

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

sincere Sympathy goes out to Family and Friends

12. funk 49

funk 49

Rest in peace Broadway Bob. Thanks for all the good times.

13. God Speed because I know you'll enjoy the ride... Don't forget to pull the chute by the Pearly Gates!

14. RIP :( Good times had at his track!!:cool:

15. krooser

krooser

I met Broadway back when I was dragging my '61 Chevy and '64 GTO back in the 60's... we were all in awe of him even back then.

I renewed my acquaintance with Bob after I started working at Capital Super Speedway in '83. I'd see him at the World of Wheels shows and other events... always had a good time with him.

Then, in 1984, I got him a little mad at me when I hired Gene Johnson and Bob Betts away from him... they were the SUNDAY... SUNDAY... SUNDAY!!!! announcers he used for years on his radio and TV ads. Bob and the guys couldn't agree on a fee to do his ads so I hired them to do my ads. But Bob rehired them the next year after I left Capital and all was good again.

Bob was known world-wide... what a guy. Rest in Peace and may you share a beer with St. Peter every now and then...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2345013345311188491

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2006/05/01/hmn_feature8.html

16. ChicagoSlackers1

ChicagoSlackers1

RIP BROADWAY BOB
    You will be missed. Gotta say thanks for everything you did for racing over the years you made everyone part of the action.

Attached Files:

17. RIP Bob hope theres a couple Honeys by your side!!!

18. von zipper

von zipper

I met him back in 1979 at a carshow at Arlington Park racetrack in Il. My buddy had a lifted 4x4 Chevy right when they became popular ( he made his own lift kit!) Well, Bob was amazed at it! He told us, "follow me, I'm buying you guys a beer"! He put a$100.00 bill on the counter,a crowd gathered, he said to the bartender, "let me know when that bill runs out! I'll put up another!" we went to the Olympics of Dragracing for years till the big names got wooed to Indy drag strip over Memorial day! A true showman!!

19. Great Lakes Dragaway is my home track. I started racing there in1986 with a 1969 Camaro. Bob made us feel welcome and he always put on a hell of a show. I will always remember him well.

20. Aw man!
    I use to go out to Da Grove with a friend, who was a former Super Stock division champ and engine builder. Although he quit racing his car years ago and now a spectator in the stands, Bob immediately recognized him and they talked for awhile. What a cool guy.
    RIP Broadway Bob.

21. poprockcrusher

poprockcrusher

Rest In Peace Bob

22. Another legion has crossed the finish line. Ask anyone who ever met
    Broadway Bob and they will have a story about it. R.I.P. Bob

23. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

really sorry to here this, saw bob for years when we raced at the grove, saw him a about 3 years ago at bowlingreen. he was always ready for some fun! rip bob, you will be missed!

24. RIP Bob. You will be missed.

25. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

R.I.P. Bob. Your a big part of why I drag race.

26. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

RIP Broadway Bob. Saw him at Joliet for the NHRA show about 15 years ago - the only time the crowd really got into it the entire day was when Bob came out, it was cool! I'm not from Milwaukee so I unfortunately never got to see him at Union Grove.

27. JustplainJ

JustplainJ
    from so.cal.

my dad was track photographer at lions.... that's me in the white shirt...
    R.I.P

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014