Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Briz Bumpers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Jim, May 2, 2010.

1. Weasel

Weasel

Briz bumpers - like a strap-on on a dyke!

2. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

This is getting more of a challenge that I thought.
    As the bumpers are the only chrome on the truck except the emblems they will draw your attention.
    I will be finishing up the rear roll pan and bumper valance next week and post the picture.
    Now yesterday out at French Lake Auto Salvage the bumper that caught my eye was the early 50 chev pickup bumper. The only problem was they had a 8" bow to them which will work great in the back of my truck but on the front I am afraid it would look like a 70ish safety bumper. Making a front valance to the bumper would fill the space but I'm not sure it would look right.
    It a tough call on what to do.

jim h

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Worst add on ever.

4. weez

weez

Also see: "Bumper Crop" by Spencer Murray in TRJ #41. All about Desoto bumpers on 40s customs.

5. Rikster

Rikster

A very nice article... a must for all early custom enthusiasts!!!

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I love the 41 Ford bumper but I don't think that they repop them. That may be why I like them.:D

7. There used to be a '54 pick up with Model A bumpers on it that looked real cool. I think it was owned By the same lady that owned a Valley Custom Lincoln, Ina Mae Swearingin or something like that. Anyway, I haven't seen it done since...

8. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Phil, I was thinking of the A bumpers too -- although I thought Ina Mae's were on a T-Bird.

Briz? Naaah. Stock bumpers would be better.

9. Tony if I remember right, both the truck and the Linc are in the Coachmen's show thread.

10. Rikster

Rikster

Tony is right

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And Briz bumpers only work on pre 1940 cars... They are not the real deal though!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep they look decent on most fat fender late 30's cars but they would really look good if they were chromed.

I liked them when the first came out and thought seriously about putting a pair on the 48 then I started seeing too many on the wrong cars such as ProStock John's Merc when he first got it.

The real deal steel ones have always been hard to find so maybe chroming a set of the aluminum ones is viable.

12. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

I had a set on my car when I first put it together - mainly because I found them used/cheap at a swap meet and it was the best I could find and afford at first, but never really liked them and always looked for something else & eventually I did find something better.
    They are now laying in the dirt next to my garage for the last few years.

13. I think both of these things suck...the headlights you mention make the car look a lot like a Barn Owl! Whoever heard of using aluminum for a bumper?

14. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

15. teddyp

teddyp

heres my 50 chevy with 49 plym. bumpers that i like much better

Attached Files:

16. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I like them...

17. Cerberus

Cerberus

These bumpers look like guard rails for a freeway off ramp.

18. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have Briz bumpers temporarily on my 36. I would like to replace them with DeSota bumpers someday but the Briz bumpers will work for now. When my dad started building the car in 1957, his plan was to use DeSota bumpers. I have thought about having the Briz bumpers chromed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. anteek

anteek

I had Briz bumpers plated on a '51 ford tudor;looked great and no one realized they were plated. Plated by a reputable cheaper than Bumper Boyz would destroy my stock ones.