Register now to get rid of these ads!

Breathers on a PCV motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rdtreur, Mar 8, 2011.

1. rdtreur

rdtreur

I'm just finishing the '64 Ford FE 390 rebuild. I still use the stock intake with oil fill tube and PCV. My stock valve covers didn't have breaters or oil fill hole. I bought a very nice pair of vintage Edelbrock valve covers with Offenhausser breathers. If I use the breaters on the VC will this be oke in combination with the PCV? Or will my fresh painted engine bay be a oil mess???
    Many thanx Ramon

2. Build a baffled box to go under the breather. The oil you get is from what is thrown off the rockers.

3. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

I think you have an overly-complicated set-up that is OEM at the time manufacturers were changing over from draft tube to PCV.

You can dummy-up the new breathers with silicone or JB Weld and your PCV system will work as intended by drawing air through the oil fill tube (with vented cap). Or maybe you could dummy-up the vented cap and go with the two breathers to allow air to enter the crankcase.

Here's a PCV/Road Draft system that has been cleaned up;

[​IMG]

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sure the engine will just have 2 extra places for fresh air to enter the engine. The air flow is entering the engine so there should not be any mess at all. The old aftermarket breathers like yours have good baffling. I replace the foam rubber with scotch bright strips cut from a pot scrubber at the grocery store. It takes 3 or 4 strips to fill between the metal plates.

Both of these have PCV systems.

5. rdtreur

rdtreur

Thanks all you guys. really helpfull info! I will run the Offy breathers with the PCV.

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In theory you want the maximum distance from where the outside air enters and the point where the pcv pulls it out to get the best cleaning effect. Depending on your setup, the valve cover breathers may help or hurt. If needed, you can block the cover breathers off with a solid gasket where they bolt on and still keep the look.