Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Brakes for Willys beam axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by txcr13, Oct 31, 2011.

1. txcr13

txcr13

Just picked up a '40/'41 Willys car front beam axle, which I intend to put under my '46 Stude coupe. Axle needs full restoration, and I want to upgrade the brakes to discs.

Any suggestions about what company makes brake kits for this axle? I heard of one application that used Hurst???

Or, any ideas about what GM or Ford spindles could be adapted to the Willys axle to accept to upgraded brakes and have a 5 x 5-3/4" bolt circle?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. bykerlad

bykerlad
    from australia

i put 39 stubs on mine,then a disk brake hub ,ended up with 5 x 4 1/2 bp

3. BobbyD

BobbyD
    from Belmont NC

4. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hi i used 37/41 Ford spindles on my Willys axle fairly simple job reamerd axle out to fit Ford kingpin then machined up spacer between axle boss and spindle bearing worked out perfect and lots of brake choices for Ford spindles hope this helps cheers Wayne

5. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

send your spindales to Aerospace compotents they will custom make them for you........thick vented rotors donot look right.........

6. drumyn29

drumyn29

I'm using 65 volvo disc brakes like the gassers used. There is a post about it here somewhere.

7. txcr13

txcr13

Thanks to all for the replies.

I am limited at this time to using a bolt-on or very simple modification of parts solution. If there are any more ideas out there, keep 'em coming.

8. cahaldo

cahaldo
    from Wisconsin

Just wandered into this thread. Sorry I'm so late on the uptake.
    I used the original Willys spindles coupled with a- believe it or not- 5-4 1/2 trailer hub, heavier lugs, matched the bearings, added an SKF seal 16667 .5 -wider to cover the lip of the spindle, added a Wilwood hat with an 11.25" disk, and wrapped it all up with a pair of ET spokes. I did this all in 2001 because no one I knew had any knowledge of this swap. This is a project I've had since I was 16- long before buying shit off the shelf was available and we had the luxury of H.A.M.B!

Attached Files:

9. cahaldo

cahaldo
    from Wisconsin

I also made my own caliper bracket and made spacers to line it all up with. The entire axle assembly including tie rod, etc. are chromed just to make it look nice. And, oh yes, I'm now 70 and still have it.