Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brakes driving me nuts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by friggin"A", Apr 29, 2010.

1. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

Ok, I'll try and make this as short as possible but I need some assistance figuring out what to do about my brake setup and I'm a bit overwhelmed. Please bail now if you don't want your brain to implode like mine.... :confused:

Here's my setup: 64' F100 with stock rear drum brakes, Crown Vic IFS with police/taxi front calipers, 94 Mustang pedal assembly with MC and booster. I also have the stock F100 stainless steel brake line kit which has 3/16" lines and 3/8 fittings (I think)

I'd like to make all of this work together without too much additional cost. Some might ask why I have all these mis-matched parts.... perhaps I should have planned better but it is a long long story how I got to this point and I feel like they are compatible enough that I just need some info to move forward. I have the mustang proportioning valve, but I don't think it includes metering (not a combination valve) since these stangs had four wheel disk but I'm not sure. I'm assuming I'll also need a 10lb residual valve for the rears.

Fittings on Mustang MC are M10x1.0 and M12x1.10 which match the crown vic, so front should be fine, but will I need to get 1/4" brake line? Not sure if primary goes to the front, secondary to rear, etc.

Mustang master cylinder is 1 1/16" bore and Crown Vic is 1" but I don't think this should be a problem since I'm using the Mustang pedal assembly and haven't changed the pedal ratio, also, I'm told the CV front calipers are similar to the cobra brakes so I'm assuming piston diameter to be similar and 1/16" difference in bore to be minimal enough not to worry about.

I'd like to avoid making flares if possible, I've done it before but I'd rather not if I don't have to. I don't even know if adapters exist to go from m10 or m12 to 3/8... I've heard pep boys sells line with mismatched fitting sizes, but not sure if available for what I need. I'm pretty sure I can make everything work together, just want to get some other opinions/advice.

That was probably clear as mud as to what I'm actually asking, so here's a nice little list:

1) will MC work since its a disc/disc (I think) and being used for disc/drum
    2) 1 1/16" bore ok for my setup?
    3) does prop valve for 94 mustang include metering?
    4) are there adapters that go from m10 or m12 to 3/8" fittings?
    5) will m12 fittings work with 3/16" line? do I need 1/4" line for the front?
    6) which port is primary and which is secondary? front brakes go to primary?
    7) why do fittings appear to be one size at inlets of proportioning valve and another size at corresponding outlets?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  2. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

3. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

My suggestions as I have built my own brake systems before but I am no pro brake builder.

Throw the proportioning valve away and get you an adjustable one. You can use a disc/disc for disc/drum but IIRR you need to put the proportioning valve on the front.

Adapters? I am sure they would. I got 3/16" line on my fronts.

Oh and usually the rear port is for the front brakes.....usually.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  4. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

yeah, I think I will just go with a new prop valve, just need to figure out how to get from metric to standard. the mustang one is actually adjustable but probably limited considering its specific to that application. I will probably wind up having to just buy new fittings and do some flaring, but as long as I know everything I have will work without costing me too much more $$ I'll be happy. I definitely want to make use of the line I already have, most people seem to use 3/16" everywhere so I'm not too concerned. So prop valve, metering valve, and residual valve. I forgot to mention I have to get a new master cylinder anyway since mine is a clogged up corroded junkyard piece, but I figured I should stay with a mustang one since thats the pedal assembly I'm using.... unless another would work... I'm not sure about the stroke/rod length, etc. to know if that's an option... anyone? I'm assuming the rear port is for the front also, plus the rear chamber seems larger, but that may just be because of the angle, which works for the stang, but is obviously too steep for my setup (see pic) but I don't think that will matter as long as it stays filled. anybody got any other thoughts on my mess?

5. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Schucks sells adapters to go from metric to standard.

6. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

no schucks, but got a checker out here..... although I'd rather get a root canal then try and explain to those morons what I'm trying to do. as soon as I say proportioning valve, or metric to standard, or residual, I'll get the dumb stare followed buy something like this:

"what make and model vehicle sir?"
    "well.... its actually a custom setup....."
    "my system needs to know the year"
    "ok 1964 F100, but...."
    "ok, which engine sir"
    "well it actually has a late model 5.0"
    "I don't see that in my system"
    "it doesn't really matter about the motor"
    "well is it a V8 or v6?"
    "V8... and it would actually be an I6 if it was.... nevermind"
    "ok so what part are you looking for again sir?"
    "you know what, I'm actually good, thanks anyway though"
    "we have a special on brake cleaner can I interest you...."
    "yeah, sure gimme a couple cans"
    "thanks, you have a good day sir, and let us know if there is anything else we can help you with in the future"
    "yeah, great, thanks for everything......"

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

my hack advice based on adapting crown vic rear discs to my ford 8"

I think your MC will work, I think that bore will work, I'm not sure you're going to be satisfied with pedal feel or travel, that's a personal thing and affected by lots of factors

I would put an adjustable prop valve in for the rear or maybe even try it first without one at all and see if it brakes safely

Funny sizes in prop and MC ports are supposedly to prevent mixups by the guys on the assembly line. That's what I heard anyway.

Look at MPBrakes and Stainless Steel brakes, they have lots of useful info and I think one of them has a big chart that shows the front and rear ports of tons of MC

I run 3/16 to the front and 1/4" to the rear, although I know some people run 3/16 all around

The metric fittings that go to the caliper have bubble flares, and american fittings are double flares. You can get 'conversion' brake lines from most parts stores but YMMV as far as selection, it's usually hell to find what you need.

I ended up buying bubble flare sticks and cutting an end off and using my flaring tool for the american side. Worked for me.

You can get converters from jegs , etc, but what a PITA to chase down, $$, and I don't like to use them if I can help it.

Can you go to pickapart and get the fittings off a mustang MC there? I've seen tons of them in our yards here.

1) will MC work since its a disc/disc (I think) and being used for disc/drum
    2) 1 1/16" bore ok for my setup?
    3) does prop valve for 94 mustang include metering?
    4) are there adapters that go from m10 or m12 to 3/8" fittings?
    5) will m12 fittings work with 3/16" line? do I need 1/4" line for the front?
    6) which port is primary and which is secondary? front brakes go to primary?
    7) why do fittings appear to be one size at inlets of proportioning valve and another size at corresponding outlets?

8. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

thanks fellas, really appreciate the thoughts and the direction. I was wondering.... what if I just use a master cylinder from a 68 big block Mustang? reason being.... its disc/drum, standard size fittings so it will work with my brake line. I just don't know if it will work with the pedal assembly and booster (94 mustang) don't know anything about "stroke" etc.

Johnny, thanks for the MPBrakes tip, I checked out there site and found this:

MC390387P $119.95
    Use for disc/drum
    Outlets: A3/8-24 B 3/8-24
    Bore size: 1” Ports:right
    Shallow piston hole power brakes

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  9. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

sorry took me so long to reply.... took a break from brakes for a while to work on exhaust.... you guys still out there?

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

11. TrannyMan

TrannyMan

What was the ??. I wouldn't run a non power cylinder on a booster.

12. friggin"A"

friggin"A"

it's cool I think I have it figured out, and no, I wouldn't run a non power cylinder on a booster. thanks man

13. Smoking

Smoking
    BANNED
    from Florida

Man, forget about the brakes, and just take out more insurance!