Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BRAKES, 39-48 lincoln brakes----useful numbers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FLAT-TOP BOB, Dec 20, 2003.

1. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

thought these number might be helpful to someone redoing lincoln brakes.
    1. shoes 286-29
    2. wheel cly.s 1 1/8 bore wagner 4543--4544
    3. hold down kit napa 80401
    4. brake return springs napa 80301
    5. brake adjuster wagner h1500--f462775
    6. spring over adjuster raybestos h403
    7 good brake hose for use on fords raybestos bh36722

kidcampbell71 and Ric Dean like this.
  2. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Hey: that is what i was looking for. are the cylinders for the front or rear?. i know the fronts are different than the rears.
    thanks a bunch.

3. Man, if more people read the HAMB there would be some people pissed off at you!! Those are sacred numbers not to be shared without the secret handshake...of course I'm writing them down right now. Thanks!

4. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

the cly.'s are for the front--1 1/8 bore. 1" on the rear

5. lakes modified

lakes modified
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the onfo. for some reason, i thought the front's were bigger than that. guess i'll go check my stash and see.

6. Elrod

Elrod

Quick question: So the brake adjuster can be replaced? Is this that adjusting cam? I have a set of backing plates and one of the adjusting cams and adjusting bolt is missing.

7. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

BTTT for current interest...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thank you for bringing this up again Bruce. i missed it the first time. And Thank You Bob for the info!

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

10. gokatgo

gokatgo
    from Phx AZ

Cool info, I just got a set of those brakes as a deposit on a car I sold. I can't wait to put them on my roadster project. Thanks

11. LongGone

LongGone
    BANNED

For those, like me, who assemble things better with a picture in front of them:

Mike

Attached Files:

12. Thanks FlatTop.
    I needed that!
    I dont wanna pay 100 plus[shoes] shipping both ways [core] etc... but thats what Im findin...no one has em and if the do they are hi priced ....I got a pair of wheel cyl kits..mine is partially sticking on one side.

13. manyolcars

manyolcars

Who can give us part numbers for a self adjusting kit (cable, cable guide, spring and the adjuster arm) for these 12" shoes? Thanks!!!

14. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Thanks for the info.

15. MattStrube

MattStrube

Replying so I can have a quick way to the link. Thanks FT

16. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

actually a lot of those numbers that flat top Bob posted are no good and no one came up with the self adjusting parts. I dont have time to waste adjusting my brake shoes as they wear.

I have put Wilson Weldings 39 Lincoln backing plates on the front of my Model A. This is done the usual way with the two spacers per spindle.

I am using 1971 to 76 Chevy (only!) Station wagon (only!) rear brakes on the rear axle of my Model A. These brakes are 12" X 2" and come on the big wagons ONLY. The big wagons were Caprice, Impala, Kingswood and Bel Air. I am using the complete brake assembly on the rear. This gives you self energizing self adjusting Bendix brakes and a working parking brake on the rear. Simply make up a spacer on the lathe, everything bolts up on the rear.

Back to the front, you can ask for front wheel cylinders for 1948 to 66 Ford pickup. I am also using the 12" X 2" shoes, holddown springs and the self adjusting star wheel from the 71-76 Chevy wagon. You can get all this at the auto parts store. I havent been able to get the self adjusting arm from the parts store but I see that the self adjusting arm (its 2 piece) on the rear of my 57 Chevy is the same design wth one piece being too short for the 12" brakes. Tomorrow I'm going to the u-pull-it to get the same ones I used on the 57. They came off a mid 70s El Camino. I will cut and weld, using the 12" part as a pattern.

The 40-48 Ford brake drums work front and rear.

There you have it--self adjusting, self energizing brakes that bolt onto your stock Model A and accept the Model A wheels and all other 5 on 5.5 Ford wheels.

Someone is bound to notice that the Ford brake drums used a 12" X 1 3/4" shoe. Yeah and you remember every time you tried to get the drum off and it wouldnt come off because of the 1/4" wide ridge?

Turn the Ford drum fresh and you will find a good 2" usable surface for the 12" X 2" shoes.
    The pictures show one complete front brake and one rear brake sitting on the rear axle housing before the spacer is fitted

One more thing--the cost after buying Wilson Weldings backing plate----$13.88 for shoes per axle, $11.88 per wheel cylinder, $4.44 for the holddown springs, about $7 for the star wheels. These are Advance Auto prices

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and MIKE STEWART like this.
  17. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Lots of good ideas in this post...so who's got some more recent numbers and stuff??
    Wison Welding is good--but we bottom-feeding scroungers need Lincoln brakes too!

18. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Bruce, I think this information needs to be saved in the TECH ARCHIVES. I have never seen it anywhere else and I have been using Lincoln Brakes on Fords since 1985. This is my first time to get the self adjusting parts.

You dont need numbers for the 71-76 Chevy parts. Many auto stores dont recognize others numbers. Thats what happened when I gave them flat top Bobs numbers for brake shoes. Just tell them to look it up under 71-76 Caprice wagon rear brakes.

All the 12' X 2" shoes, springs and self adjusting starwheel are commonly available from the auto parts store. I am putting all this on my Model A but it fits on all 28-48 Fords too. Bob Wilson charged me $150 for the backing plates.If you dont want to pay that, one of the other HAMBers posts showed that he used the 40-48 Ford backing plates after cleaning off the Lockheed parts. He had to drill a hole for the top anchor bolt and relocate the wheel cylinder hole.

Jim Aust has a article on Rod and Custom online that shows he spent about $3000 (!) for MT products Lincoln brakes but it doesnt have the self adjusting feature.
    http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/techarticles/135_0507_lincoln/index.html

http://www.mtcarproducts.com/brakekit2.htm

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

There needs to be a whole tech section on modern parts numbers for old stuff...I'm looking for the 12X2 numbers and such. I think I have Bendix cataloging on the Caprice stuff, bt nothing on F2-LZ parts yet...
    I've got various Lincoln and F2 plate, and I'm just fishing for NAPA or other good numbers since few parts guys can cope with anything strange anymore.

20. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

21. Just picked up a set of Wilson Welding front brakes. Thanks for the info.

Mike

22. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

I'm really curious about this Lincoln set-up. I picked up a complete front axle out of a '46 Zephyr coupe for $10 at the junkyard, pulled. I liked the axle with the two dips which is kinda cool and will look nice in my T roadster. The drums are unusable, but the backing plates and spindles are ok. I was told that I couldn't use Ford components on the set up. Is this untrue? Maybe it was in regards to using '39-'48 car components and not trucks... I understand that Ford spindles can't be used, as it throws off the camber and caster as well as causing other issues... Is there an interchange list of some sort? I know that the F1 - F100 brakes were of similar design, but will they work on Lincoln spindles, as is indicated above? Do bearings need to be swapped out, similar to mounting big truck brakes on '40ish spindles? I have a ton of F1 style truck brakes and a ton of '40 set ups and was hoping to be able to put something usable together using the axle from hub to hub without having to hunt down Lincoln drums... Thank you. I appreciate any input.

Jonny

23. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You have 12" brakes otherwise much the same as F-1, which are 11 with slightly wider shoes...you can use '39-48 Ford drums, I believe, but nothing else from Ford brakes. I believe the F-1 brakes will go on same way as with Ford spindles. If you do swap, shoot me a pm--I'll buy you Lincols plates, which I think are of the deep-dish variety.

24. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

Cool. The spindle on the Lincoln looks quite a bit different than the Ford's... kinda bulbous in the middle if I remember right. Just wanted to be sure that Ford drums will work before i run out and start collecting bearings/spacers as if doing it on an "A". If anyone has put Ford components on a Lincoln axle with Lincoln spindles, I'd love to see some pics or get the part #s that'll make it work. Thanks.

Jonny

25. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

If I understand you correctly, take your Lincoln axle, spindle and backing plate, then slide a 40-48 Ford drum with bearings onto the spindle anfd YOU tell US if it works. :D It otta, since it works the other way round. I dont think you will need any Model A spacers. Those are required for Model As and up to 1936 Ford. You dont want ANY Ford parts on your Lincoln axle and spindle/backing plate! (Except the brake drum) The Lincoln is Bendix which is a LOT better than Fords Lockheed parts.

26. Jonnyhotrod

Jonnyhotrod

SWEET! Thanks for the clarification. ;)

Jonny

27. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

great info here...I thought lincoln brakes required your firstborn child or something.

28. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I'm losing track of all the bits here...anyway, if it clarifies anything, the Ford F-1 brakes are 11" Bendix with wider shoe than the 12" bendix Lincoln...I suspect the Lincoln would be margially better, but don't know; Lincoln brakes shoud take 12" '39-48 Ford drums. Mixing stops if you move the rest of the Lincoln stuff around--spindle angle is quite a bit differnt than Ford on any post 1936 Lincoln. Also, these lincoln brakes if transplanted to Ford front end are space back way too far at backing plate and need an adaptation that has been shown here.

29. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I'm bringing this back to the top, because I had a hard time finding these parts, following the description above.
    Here are parts numbers any parts store can cross reference.

Wheel cylinders:
    Front left: WC 14493
    Front right: WC 14494
    Rear left: WC 7563
    Rear right: WC 7564

Brake shoes: Z340, these are 2" wide, 1 3/4" wide shoes are not available and 2" shoes need to be machined down if you need them. I think 2" shoes fit rear as well.

PS: I'm using aftermarket backing plates, the real deal Lincoln brakes, might require different parts.

kidcampbell71 and cadillacoffin like this.
  30. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks Casny!