Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical brake squeak repair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Dec 12, 2018.

1. been chasing a brake squeak/squeal in this '31 model A. i have changed all the brake arm bushings, new shoes, new/different drums, etc.......still squeals on occasion. customer wanted me to try this stuff.
    how could this possibly work? IMG_4299.JPG IMG_4300.JPG

2. instructions say to clean the drums or disc then spray a light coat. also says it can be used as an anti-seize. wtf? IMG_4297.JPG IMG_4298.JPG

Chucky likes this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Maybe it goes in your ears.

Never heard of it. Reviews not good. Has aluminum paint in it? Well I guess it can't hurt.. Did you try chamfering the leading edges?

4. yep and contoured the shoes to the drums. stops great.

5. Used a product like that years ago it was a graphite paint. It went on “fluffy” if that makes sense
    Worked for a bit untill the brakes started squeaking again

What kind of shoes are you using? Drums glazed ?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd be more worried that it will act as a lubricant between the shoes and drum and increase the stopping distance quite a bit.
    From a lot of years of dealing with brake noises the prime cause of brake squeal is dirt in/on the lining or pads.
    I found out years ago that the cheapest softest lining that doesn't last very good and doesn't stop very great is quite often the quietest and most complaint free lining. The high quality performance lining usually had more noise complaints.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. i cut the drums, then swopped a couple of them out.

we are using the "woven" original style for the model A. i contoured them to match the drum and made sure all the rivets were tight.
    i think it is something in the lining.
    customer wanted me to use this stuff, we will see what happens.

F&J likes this.
  8. garyf

garyf

If the brake shoe contact points on the backing plates aren't lubed you will get braking noises.

saltflats likes this.
  9. IIRC... all old cars of the era had squeaky brakes. The narrow shoe and wide drum diameter aren't the best mix for dissipating braking-force heat. If the drums can take another cut, give them a coarser finish. The other culprit is today's linings being what they are made of. Good old asbestos is not around any more, can he find NOS shoes?

10. May stop after you get some miles on them!

clem likes this.
  11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Brake squeal became a bigger problem when they did away with asbestos. Some fifties cars had a screen door spring or equivalent, wrapped around the drum to kill squeal. Then there is the orange silicone squeal eliminator for disc brake pads, a dab where the shoe contacts the backing plate sometimes helps.

12. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Great advice. Also lube the ends of the shoes where they contact the adjuster/wheel cylinder.

13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

As stated, lube any metal to metal contact points and make sure the hold down springs are good.

14. this is a stock model A brake system. no wheel cylinders, new cams, rollers and pins. all points of contact trimmed and lubed.
    i think it is the lining material, and this hocus pocus shit in the can will stop it till it burns off but have NO faith that it will cure the problem.

Hnstray, clem and F&J like this.
  15. BJR

BJR

With bonded linings that would squeal back in the day we would take a hack saw and cut one or two big X's in the lining. It would stop the squeak most times. I think it gave the brake dust a place to go, instead of being trapped between the shoe and the drum.

tb33anda3rd, clem and loudbang like this.
  16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

[QUOTE="tb33anda3rd, post: 12864613, member: 126584"
    i think it is the lining material, and this hocus pocus shit in the can will stop it till it burns off but have NO faith that it will cure the problem.[/QUOTE]

Put it on, cash the check, and move. ;)

The reviews online say the same. Must be good for something, try it on door hinges.

Always fun to peruse that isle at the auto parts, fella can rebuild his whole car with bottles and cans.

17. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Someone mentioned dirt. Can't be your problem with all new.

I just replaced the disc pads on my old 4x4. We have a cabin up a long dirt road, in the summer when you pull up the dust cloud looks like the 7th Cavalry just rode in. And the brakes would squeek aftetward, went away for awhile then became constant. Old pads still half or better, chamfered.. Put new pads, problem gone, for now. Miliions of off roaders... Late 70s GM calipers.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  18. forgot to give an update: used the stuff as per instructions and NO squeak. time will tell.

19. BJR

BJR

Thanks for the update, too many times we never hear of the outcome.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Good boy, I want one of those fancy emoticons petting a dog now for some reason. :D

tb33anda3rd likes this.