Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake pedal travel - how much?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Lee, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

My late model has about 1 1/2 to 2 inches. SHould I expect about the same from an early ford assembly with a stock MC? I might have a clearance issue...I always have a clearance issue.

2. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

My 37 with 40 brakes has about 2-2-1/2 inches of play. I haven't had the need to adjust it, so I don't know if I can get any more out of it.Might give you some idea.

3. I can't answer the "inches of travel" question but I can tell you that you need a 6:1 ratio in the levers. If you have a 2" center to center lever actuating the master cylinder pushrod then you'll want a 12" lever from its pivot to the center of the foot pad.

4. when you say pedal travel do you mean how far the pedal goes down before the brakes go on,or do you mean how far the pedal can go over all? i like to set it for at least 5-6" of aver all travel,with the master cylider bottoming out before the brake pedal hits the floor. that way you have about 1-2" of travel before the brakes go on with the pedal about 3-4" from the floor.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Over all travel. 5 to 6 inches would be a bit much for my taste, plus there isn't that much room. I'm hoping for around two inches otherwise the pedal is going to bottom out on the bellhousing and I'll have to cut it - which I don't want to do.

This is a complete '39 assembly by the way.

6. i'd just make sure you can get full travel of the piston in the master cylinder....i always make it so you are able to bottom it out

7. Also, make sure the Pedal Rod is long enough it does not fall out!!! A guy up here went off the end of the 1/8th mile at 100+ from this same thing. He never tried to get the pushrod to fall out.

8. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

The pedal rod won't fall out, hahaha. Every pin is wired in place and I've fabbed some upper stops/bumpers to keep the pedals from rattling after topping out. Working on a pretty cool return spring setup for the clutch pedal too so it doesn't stress the throwout bearing spring and trash the bearing.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Grimlock, I just threw a tape measure on the coupe and it's actually running closer to 3 inches. That's without pumping it up....Probably needs adjusted.

10. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks. I've got a plan now.

11. TV

TV

Grim, try and set it up with 1" of free play, and be carful that the plunger rod is not to long. If it is it will drag your brakes, you will think your spring has it pulled back all the way, but if the rod is to long it will keep a slight pressure on wheel cylinders ,and drag the brakes. I've been there and so have a lot of my friends.--TV [​IMG]

12. Grim-I think any over 1" is too loose.....also my favorite ratio- pedal length to lever length is 10-1/2" pedal length[OC] and 3-1/2" lever below fulcrum. this gives a firm feel and is adequate in leverage to work properly.Any more length will give an overkill ratio and will throw you thru the duvall w/shield!