Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs brake line advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by worn shoes, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 56shoebox

56shoebox

What is Yelp???

2. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

WOW! [ read yer Yelp ] on this "situation" :mad: small claims court sounds like an option! :eek: o_O NOT acceptable!
    Glad yer STILL here!

worn shoes likes this.
  3. roundvalley

roundvalley

Never used AN but don't they take a different flair angle??

4. worn shoes

worn shoes

Thanks Mike and others with the positive comments and guidance.

5. worn shoes

worn shoes

Dude was out of control. He started in on me and made me lose my cool. I used him and thought the best of him and his shop. He really bummed me out with his work and actions.

6. worn shoes

worn shoes

37 degree is what they use.

7. I would start fresh, measure the hose you need and the ends, take off the AN stuff, get flair nuts and re flair the line. You can either get a tee by itself or get a rear brake hose with one on it. You can pm me if you want as I have an illustrated guide for brake hoses.

Just be careful re flaring the line sometimes they will crack at the flair face and it will leak. Inspect each flair face with a light.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  8. worn shoes

worn shoes

I will order some stuff on Monday and work on this myself. Sucks that I paid $95 buck an hour and got this type of work. I guess it could always be worse :) Thanks for the advice guys!

9. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Easy buddy. It's a little leak it'll get fixed either by him or someone else. Don't need to get all doom and gloom. The guys just looking for some advice.

worn shoes and pat59 like this.
  10. absolutely amazing that someone with a shop would friggin' do work like that.

volvobrynk and worn shoes like this.
  11. worn shoes

worn shoes

Yeah its a bummer. Just trying to adapt and overcome. Not here for drama just wanted some true advice. I thank everyone who has chimed in.

12. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

I hear u. Good luck you'll get it fixed

Texas57 and worn shoes like this.
  13. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Worn Shoes Hope every thing works it self out. Love your shoe box, had a 50 in hi skool. Don in N-W Indiana

worn shoes likes this.
  14. worn shoes

worn shoes

20150811_194257.jpg Thanks Don! Here's my other car. This is the one with the bad luck haha. Thanks again guys. I'll sleep better at night knowing the plan of attack.

volvobrynk and 504640 like this.
  15. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

How do you read a YELP review?

16. worn shoes

worn shoes

Go on yelp. Then pop in the name of the shop (limeworks speed shop) then the area whittier ca.

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SAE standard flare is 45º. You cannot mix the two.

Texas57, volvobrynk and daddio211 like this.
  18. 2racer

2racer

19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is highly uncharacteristic of Steve.

20. worn shoes

worn shoes

The AN he used are 37 degree. He used adaptors on the wheel cylinders. So they go in with a SAE and use the 37 on the back side. He cobbled that together on the rear only. The front is all 45 double flare with tube nuts.

21. worn shoes

worn shoes

100% the way it went down. I have a buddy that's friends with him for the last 18 years and was shocked.

Roger O'Dell likes this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am not questioning your version of the events.

I am just wondering what happened to the old Steve.

I have a bunch of his parts on my Model A. They are nothing short of flawless.

23. worn shoes

worn shoes

His products seem to be legit. He was just not in his normal arena with this? I think after the 4 th time of having to come and look he just had enough. I was always calm and understanding with him. He seemed like he just wanted to move on.

24. Not sure on the shoebox, but make sure the wheel cylinders are inverted flair. If they're just a hole then you need to run some pipe to inverted flair adapters and then run new hard lines. An older parts place should have a good assortment of Edelmann brass fittings, the only 2 pieces you might need to order would be the brake hose and tee. If everything works out right you might even find the right length of pre made hardline and not need to flair them.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    volvobrynk likes this.
  25. stimpy

stimpy

see a big mistake using aluminum tube nuts , for steel lines you use steel sleeves and steel tube nuts as the aluminum ones will stretch the threads and you never get the flare to seat and it will lift under pressure

26. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

While I hate to see these events unfold, I will admit I have learned more about brake lines and fittings.

27. I think we all have had a bad day where we wish we had not got out of bed. I have never met the man but, have purchased his wares. I think an apology is in order and a refund. If it were my business I don't know I would salvage this customer .

28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

The right words goes a long ways.

29. worn shoes

worn shoes

I received no apology him. He kinda made me feel like I should be greatful he was even there. I can say with honesty that I did like the guy. I was more then willing to work with him. But when he blew up and then came ripping up my street it killed it for me.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. trollst

trollst

Look, this is not rocket science, they're brake lines. No adaptors, take them out, replace them, make them right, easy to make, invest in some tools, get on the net, and, make new ones. Learning is a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.