Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake light switch issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by azsnow, Apr 30, 2012.

1. azsnow

azsnow

I just bought and installed the Painless wiring torque converter lockup kit, part #60109. The kit suplies a brake light switch, but there is no way to use the brake light switch with my application, any ideas? BTW, its a 4 prong.

2. birdman42

birdman42

it is to unlock the converter when you hit the brakes.You should be able to use the two wires or the converter and put them on a toggle switch.Then you can control when to lock or unlock the coverter

3. chubbie

chubbie

I can only guess that you don't have a late model brake set up:eek: with the threaded hole ect. I don't have the lock up set up, but i didn't use that one because there is no where to mount it, on an old school brake set up. try to explain that to the guy on the phone:confused:

but i did mount one under the hood on the under floor brake by drilling holes and makeing a small braket one time...don't think they are water tight

4. TIN INDIAN MAN

TIN INDIAN MAN

GM has a switch that was a push button type that had 4 prongs to do that it was on a 96 Chev Imp SS//////easy to use with swing pedal

5. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

I'd consider drilling a couple extra holes and hooking it up to another brake light switch next to your existing brake light switch.

[​IMG]

I'm assuming it's for the truck in your avatar.

6. azsnow

azsnow

Yeah I have the frame mounted pedal and it has zero possibility of mounting the switch! I didn't want to hook it to a toggle, as my wife will drive the truck once in awhile, and i don't want her to forget to flip it and overheat the trans. Here is what someone helped me with on another forum, hope this works:

"i looked up the manual on painlessperformance.com, if your using the stock pedal and switch it will be difficult to install a different switch.
    currently you have 12 volts to the brake light switch, when you push the pedal the switch makes and you have power to the brake lights.
    from the painless manual for your part:
    THE TWO TERMINALS CLOSER TOGETHER ARE FOR PASS THROUGH VOLTAGE
    AND THE TERMINALS FARTHER APART ARE FOR BRAKE LIGHTS.

their switch is a PDST (double pole single throw) with NO/NC contacts
    with the pedal up you need 12 to the trans and not the brake lights
    with the pedal down you need no power to the trans and 12 to the brakes

you need a relay. a simple bosch type relay that you can buy at any parts store

[​IMG]
    courtesy of the12volt.com [​IMG]

keep the existing switch and wire to your brakes and then add everything below
    using your 12v feed into the brake switch splice a wire to also feed terminal #30
    run the purple wire from the trans to terminal #87a
    hook the one side of the coil to the brake light (switched) side off the brake light switch
    and the other side of the coil to a ground

this should give you 12v to the trans when the pedal is up
    and no power to the trans when the pedal is down"

Going to give it a try!
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

7. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You can use a regular Bosch style relay to operate the converter shut off. Just wire it up to your exisitng brake switch, to do the opposite...normally closed, open when brake is on.

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I have been running a 700r4 for years with no switch on the brake pedal. Unless I am missing something I dont see where one is needed. The valving in the trans keeps the converter from locking up in 1st gear so when your at a stop the converter will be unlocked.

9. George/Maine

George/Maine

Your could try a motorcycle switch they are normaly open and when touched made,very little movement and use reg switch for lights.

10. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Just look for a spdt type relay and use the NC terminal and wiper terminal for TC lockup. Coil wire goes to ground and to brake light cold side.

Got them cheap on Zebay

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

It should be single pole double throw, or SPDT