Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake issue on my 62 caddy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jlouie, Apr 26, 2008.

1. jlouie

jlouie

I need a little help here. The pushrod is stuck in the back of the master cylinder and i need to know how to disconnect it. from the pedal, or somehow else?? i have the delco brakes, pwr, 4 drum, and i would really like to drive the damn car, but now it ain't going anywhere. any ideas???

2. Some of the older ones had the rod behind the snap ring. You would have to remove the snap ring to remove the rod. Some of the boosters were the same way. Should be some kind of a clevis at the pedal one would think ??

3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

For a Delco power booster/master cylinder, assuming your setup is the same as on my '61 Bonneville, you remove the four bolts holding the master to the booster and it should just pull off.

#29 in the exploded diagram in the last picture below sticks into the back of the master cylinder, and fits over the end of the pushrod which is #11

Attached Files:

4. jlouie

jlouie

thanks guys. stuart, i have a similar setup, but with a dual master cylinder. is seems that the rod from the booster got past the rear most seals and is wedged in the master. i can get the master cylinder to move off the bolts and can twist it, but can't see what is hanging up. after the swap meet today, i'll play some more and get this done.