Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake fitting woes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg37, Apr 29, 2015.

1. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Hey Everyone, I put a couple new brake lines on my 37 Ford over the winter. Everything went fine except one connection leaks a couple drops only once in awhile when I step on the brake. I tightened the fittings as much as I dare. I know it shouldn't leak at all but is this acceptable ? I'm about ready to JB weld it!!!! I forgot to mention I'm using synthetic fluid. Thanks everyone in advance

2. BJR

BJR

Maybe you had a piece of crud in the fitting when you put it together. Take the fitting apart and look at the mating surfaces.

3. Even a small leak can cause a sudden loss of pedal and also introduce air into the system.
    Pull the connection apart and check the "mating" surfaces to check for gouges or nicks.

4. get inside the end of the flare and deburr it. more often then not a few minutes with a piece of emery cloth will cure a leaking brake line fitting.

5. Dot 5 fluid is always a problem with leaks (don't ask how I know). I would buy a new fitting and start over. Post if you are having trouble finding the fittings.

Charlie Stephens

6. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Forget the JB Weld!
    Do as others have suggested.

7. no leak in a brake system is acceptable
    no jb weld cure is acceptable in a brake system
    all the parts are cheap, just fix or replace

8. i find that sometimes you can just back off the fitting and re-tighten it and the leak stops

9. 3spd

3spd

If I have a fitting that is fighting me I like to work it back and forth a few times - seems to seat the flare or something - anyways makes 'em seal. I would check it like others have said first though.

10. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

Are they stainless tubing? Some of those are about 5 times harder than Bundy tubing or Cunifer, so don't deform to make flares in the first place, or are harder to get to conform to the mating flared fitting.
    Had to touch up the flares on a few preformed lines a buddy bought for his Corvette.

11. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

I just went out and pulled the connection apart, I must have really reefed on it because the small nipple where the flare seats was oval shaped and the flare although good did have rough edges which I emery papered. Tomorrow I'll get a new fitting and hopefully it seals. By the way just kidding about the JB weld. Thank You !!!!!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. Do it right.

Might save your ass.

13. greg37

greg37
    from mi.

Roger That !!!

14. Or the persons in front of you.