Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Brake Caliper Location?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by thegearhead, Jan 10, 2021.

1. thegearhead

thegearhead

So on my lil 50' Crosley i'm building a disk brake setup where's the best place to place the caliper traditional front of rotor at 9 o'clock or rear at 3 o-clock? My suspension setup is leaf spring front with steering box and drag link to driver spindle then the tie rod is in front of axle. Factory setup.
    So i got more room for caliper at the 12 or 3 o-clock position but not sure whats best.

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most I’ve ever seen through wheels and my own are at 1:30... or between 12 and 3

3. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Calipers at 3:00 on the left will be behind and 3:00 on the right will be ahead. 12:00 would be the same on both sides. You need a better descriptor.

4. Budget36

Budget36

Where ever the bleeder comes out at the highest point would be my way.

56don, '51 Norm, Just Gary and 7 others like this.

5. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

I really don't think the caliper cares where it is positioned on the rotor...Just make sure the bleeder screw is at the top...

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

^^^^ THIS!!!

It doesn't matter if the caliper is on the front side of the spindle or the back side all that much but the bleeder screw absolutely has to be at the highest point when you position the caliper on the spindle.
    Ascetics says to put them on the back side of the spindle but clearance issues with steering and other pieces don't always allow for that.

Johnny Gee, Just Gary and Budget36 like this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

What are you using for calipars/rotors/hubs?

8. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Crosley,the one I had /Hot Shot,had factory 4 wheel disk,mount them stock.

9. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Front, back, 2-o-clock, 4 o-clock, etc. etc., doesn't really work...
    All you have to do is swap the left side to the right side and that idea goes out the window..!

All in all, it really doesn't matter. Many/most suspensions will have something...in the way of putting the big lump of a caliper in any given spot. You most likely have to put them...where they fit best.
    Be sure to check the "lock to lock" position with the caliper in place. You don't want it crashing into anything while turning, while at full bump stop, etc.

But as os others have said, and it bears repeating, bleeder..."up".

Mike

10. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I did read years ago when disc brakes were the new rage that a certain position (my memory ain't what it use to be but guessing at in front of the spindle) provides greater stress on wheel bearings.
    Maybe somebody else saw this article or knows the tech side of things to confirm or deny it.

11. Uhhh....the front and back don’t change when you go to the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. thegearhead

thegearhead

My 50 Crosley has them as well but there not up for the drive train swap haha

13. thegearhead

thegearhead

calipers/rotors are from a 81 honda civic and hubs are original Crosley hubs that has been machined to fit the rotor.
    Was hard finding eveything to fit inside a 12" dia rim haha

14. First try to find a spot that puts your bleeder up high.
    If you can't find a great location with a good angle for bleeding, then find a spot for the caliper that clears everything whether it is 4 o clock or 2:30 or 7 or anywhere it is safe. and dont worry about the bleeder location....
    It will work anywhere.
    If you find that you cannot bleed by the bleeder fitting because its not at the top, or by cracking the hose fitting, usually a banjo bolt,
    then you can do what I do...
    Take off the calipers, stick a board or thick metal spacer between the pads to act as the missing rotor, bleed in whatever position works, then put the calipers back on the rotors.
    I have been using that method for years on dune buggies etc..

Sent from my SM-G981V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    Hnstray and Budget36 like this.
  15. thegearhead

thegearhead

Got my backing plates and brackets finished then mocked everything up. Looks like it well be at the 2 o-clock position looking from the drivers side.

Attached Files:

16. wisdonm

wisdonm

If you look at high performance cars from the side you will find the front calipers are behind the spindle and the rear calipers are in front of the wheel center. This helps with reducing polar moment, I believe it also adds a component of anti-dive.

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bleeder "up" isn't as critical as "bleeder port" up. Make sure you know where the bleeder port is located within the cylinder, because that point has to be at 12:00. If you can't mount them that way, then you need to do as @dare-to-be-different said and bleed them with the caliper removed from the mount and rotated to the correct position, bled, then re-mounted.

caliper.JPG

Maicobreako and Budget36 like this.