Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brake booster problem!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olkarz, Apr 15, 2012.

1. olkarz

olkarz

Does anyone know how to hook up this brake booster??? I got it out of an '89 GMC Sierra 1500. Someone got to the fuse box so i wasn't able to get the complete wiring harness and fuse panel.

Attached Files:

• ABS.jpg
      ABS.jpg
      File size:
      498.2 KB
      Views:
  2. JAWS

JAWS

Just remove the abs stuff and hook the lines up.

3. JAWS

JAWS

Oh and don't forget a prop valve

4. olkarz

olkarz

Actually interested in the ABS. The Master Mechanic at my local Chevrolet Dealership says that it is a stand alone system, but of course he would tell me how to hook it up!!! I found a similar 1 hooked up to that GMC S15 that I pulled the tilt steering column out off and will go back next weekend to pull the whole wiring harness.

What happened to the Real Car Guys, except for the ones on the HAMB of course??? you tell someone that you're working on a cool project car and they would simply give you more information that your brain could hold at a time!!

5. badshifter

badshifter

ABS is more than the master/booster. It's the whole matched system. Wheel speed sensors, ECU, harness, pump/pumps, valve, controller etc. It's WAY more than a stand alone system. There is no such thing.

6. Champscotty58

Champscotty58

Beat me to it. The booster isn't going to work as an abs unit on its own without the sensors and ECU telling it what's going on.

7. Exactly right. Just hook your lines direct to the master cyl and have brakes like a typical older car without ABS.

BTW, you can't put ABS on your Jag front end without custom fabrication - it does not have it.

8. olkarz

olkarz

that's what I needed to know. I didn't recall seeing any sensors on the drums of the 90 Sierra pickup even when i took the drum off. that's why i thought it would work.

9. squirrel

squirrel

I think those early systems were just rear wheel abs, and it might have even used the trans speed sensor (speedometer sensor).

It's about as stand alone as you can get. But also not something I would consider swapping into an older vehicle

10. olkarz

olkarz

The little black box on the side of the MC is the ecu. The Master Mechanic said that it senses the pedal pressure and adjust the brake fluid amount going to the rear brakes so that the brakes don't lock up on the pickup trucks during a hard brake when the bed is empty.

11. olkarz

olkarz

Thanks for the info Jim. I just thouht it would look cool in my 57 3100. I have the 1999 Bravada 8.5" LSD in it, which has 11" disc brakes, thinking it'll help keep it from locking up on hard stops.

12. squirrel

squirrel

Some of the trucks had a load based proportioning valve in them...my son's 87 suburban 3/4 has one. It is just a mechanical valve that senses the height of the rear of the truck and adjusts brake pressure accordingly.

I expect that getting the ABS to work is going to be kind of challenging, I wouldn't even try...

13. JAWS

JAWS

My point exactly. Without going into detail. I wanted to save you the headache of sorting the system out. Not just any vss will work, it want's the correct pulse and there is a box that went above the oem ecm behind the glove box, small and usually missed, that controlled or rather helped "count" when tire and gear sizes changed. Call it pinion factor or whatever. It also helped translate for the speedo and the cruise.

14. I'm not too sure how the ABS master will play with a non-ABS brake system. I would have gone with something a lot simpler and without a learning curve myself.

Bob

15. Your correct about those systems working off line pressure. They work good until they get old then they are a headache. Especially if they go bad. Can cause low pedal pressure and all kinds of other problems. I would get rid of it if I was you. I had a 1991 chevy truck that I was very close to pulling all that off of because of problems. I would go with an adjustable proportioning valve and keep it simple.

16. olkarz

olkarz

Thanks guys for all of your input!! Thankfully i still have the master cylinder and brake proportioning valve from a 84 firebird.