Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake and wheel dillema-Bloody 5 1/2 's!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowsquire, Oct 15, 2003.

1. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

This ones got me goin in circles...

I want to run 16" steelies all round on my rod,fronts all sorted,got f100 brakes coming and two nice 16" 40-48 wheels.

the rear is the issue- I have a mustang 8 3/4 diff to slide under it,(currently in my daily driver) but thats later ford pattern.

I dont think theres enough meat on the rear axles to redrill to 5 1/2 pattern.I could get brand new 16" ford rims,but the centres are ugly,and I love the big curvy centres in early steels.

Is it possible to weld in just the bolt pattern section into old centres?

Im trying to work a way around another 6-800 bucks for an F 100 diff in good condition, I have a standard diff to slide back under the falcon already.

Is there some other way to adapt the diff to 5 1/2 ??

backyard solutions preferred [​IMG]
    Thanks guys..

2. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

can you say "wheel adapters"? [​IMG]

3. just run adapters. low-n-loud has the same set up on his 34

4. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

W h e e l a d a p t e r s...
    right on! any one got a link or a pic? do they space the wheel out much?

hiya ricky, did you get my email about the edelbrock covers? exchange rates not too bad so i could go a bit higher....

5. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

Wheel adapters will space things out about 1" per side. I had another thought. Get axles shafts with a larger wheel pattern flange then drill it and the drums to the larger bolt pattern. More exspensive than wheel adapters but no spacing issue. Just a thought. Good luck.

6. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

new axles.
    tell em'what ya want when you order them.

7. Wheel Vintiques makes a 16" steelie with a 4-1/2 bolt pattern and it has the look you want. the centers look just like `40 wheels,even has the vents

8. carkiller

carkiller

16 inch internatonal wheels 16x5 w/5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. Early ford cap fits also. Center hole may be a issue. Cal

9. onelow48

onelow48
    from Maryland

Wheel adapters are made by a few people. Excaliber, or
    100+ is another company. 100+ filed capter 11 so if you call around and find them you can get them cheep.

10. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

As moneys tight,I think carkiller has it!
    International trucks are pretty common down here, most are 60's/ early 70's-are these the ones with 16 by 5's?hope so.
    I'll start diggin around.....
    HAMB ROCKS.[​IMG]
    thanks everyone.

11. 55olds88

55olds88

thats some good info for this neck of the woods too, considering late model ford rears are easy to get hold of as are the wheels.

12. SimonSez

SimonSez

I have used those International rims on a 9" rear. The centre hole is quite big and clears the axle with no problems.

I got mine from a sixties pickup, but they go back way earlier than that. Be aware that some of them had 6 stud wheels though, so don't buy any sight unseen [​IMG]

13. Two-Gun Bob

Two-Gun Bob

Yeah, I'm using 16" International wheels from a '54 pickup and they fit perfectly on the 8" Ford
    rearend out of a '65 Fairlane. As mentioned, they look the same as the Ford steel wheels and take
    the Ford hubcaps without any problem.

14. Low Sauire,

Dude I have THE wheels u r after. 16 X 4.5" that take a 50 ford cap, but have the right bolt pattern u need.

I think they're off a Cusso ? If youre interested email me at [email protected]

Later...

Rat [​IMG]

15. Call Pete Paulsen, Wheels by Paulsen in French Camp, CA. 209 983 0271.
    The guys been around for just about forever, the wheels ya want will run about 40.00 a pop.
    Cheaper than wheel adapters, new axles and wheel vintiques. Easier to find than IH wheels.
    I think the last thing I ordered from him took about 4 days to get here.

It aint yours if it don't make ya dirty. [​IMG]