Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake and clutch pedal assembly question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead A, Jan 10, 2007.

1. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

the progress has been slow on my 30 coupe,but now Im back at it.getting ready to install 39 clutch and brake pedals to a model A frame(using 39 tranny and flathead).after just holding it in place , it does not look right.do I need to place the body first .anybody out there been through this ,any suggestions or pics would be nice.
    thanks

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would seriously suggest mocking up the body first and trying to figure out where you're going to sit. The last thing you want is to not reach the pedals while your chest is in the steering wheel or vice versa... It's going to be a lot harder to change it later.

Let's see some pics in the mean time of the build!!

3. Check out Vern Tardels book on How to Buiild a traditional hot rod. I'm pretty sure there's a section on using the '39 brake/clutch assembly in the model A. Of course he's using a modified 32 K member, but it might give you some direction at least.

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Mike and Vern's book does indeed discuss the use of a '39 pedal assembly. It's pretty much the bible for building an av8. Anyone trying to build one of these cars without a copy is swimming against the tide, especially if your a "first timer".

Frank

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

As the pedal arms should pass thru small round holes in the toeboard to allow proper sealing, you need to have the body located to set up the positioning.
    Basicly, a line drawn thru and parallel with the toeboard will intersect with the hinge bolt/shaft of the pedal assembly.
    You also need to pay attention to engine/steering column clearance etc.
    A mock up of the frame/body/engine is very important in my opinion.

6. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

I'm having the same problem. I didn't get the pedals out of the truck tho. Dammit!

7. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Hey, wadaya know I just went and checked the book shelf and I have that book. Thanks.

Duh.

8. Like the guys say, mock it up first.

While you're at it, fit the steering column as well.
    You don't want to end up with it too close to one of the pedals.

If you don't mock it up first, you'll end up with a car that's not much fun to drive.
    Seen more than a few of those at rod runs.

Pay attention to the throttle pedal as well although you can install it after the final body bolt-down if you wish.

May as well install the seat while you're at it.

Nice part about having a lot of this stuff done and done right is when you do final assembly you don't have a lot of little jobs staring you in the face....

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

You might want to look over the stock arrangement as well...the old salesman's handbook pics give many of the dimensions: http://home.cogeco.ca/~deuceguy/Model_A_Scans_Main.htm

Reason is that choices are damn tight...'28--34 Ford cars are very small packages, and there is not a whole lot of choice on where steering wheel and pedals go unless you are a contortionist or multiple amputee. Once your knees, the seat, and the dash or in there the remaining space in front of you is all wheel...