Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects brainfreeze 1930 model A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by brainfreeze, Dec 8, 2014.

1. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Cool car. Love the Y-block. Thats what I'm building. A coupe with a y-block.

Sent from my SM-T805Y using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brainfreeze likes this.
  2. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

mate I've just solid mounted the rear end at the moment, i have ladder bars that ill temporarily fit, but I'm scared they will hit the floor right under my ass! haha if thats the case then ill look for some 36 rods

3. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

+0.060 292 should push it along alright, and then when i rebuild and fit the mcculloch blower it should be some fun!

brEad likes this.
  4. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

where in australia are you bud?

5. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Marybourough Queensland. About 3 hours north of Brisbane.

brainfreeze likes this.
  6. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

yeah sweet! I'm down in brissy! got a buildup on here?

aussie57wag likes this.
  7. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

Nah. Not much has happened on it for a few years. Got married, got a mortgage, had kids, work away, rebuilt an eh holden to sell to earn a bit of extra spending money. So the model A build has slowed up a bit.[​IMG]

8. aussie57wag

aussie57wag
    from australia

brainfreeze likes this.
  9. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

body looks in good shape! but yeh man ill let ya know if I'm ever heading up there!

10. mohead1

mohead1

Hey brainfreeze...nice car....have a 30 meself....was interested in the frame jog u had there, size of beams, and u found some straight ones

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

brainfreeze likes this.
  11. mohead1

mohead1

Jig....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

12. Shaun1162

Shaun1162

Everything about this build is spot-on: the body, the stance, the tires/wheels, and of course the Y-block.

Leave it in-chopped, and original paint. At least for now.

brEad and brainfreeze like this.
  13. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

I used 100mm(4") SHS for the long lengths and then 50mm(2") SHS for the shorter cross pieces, they have a 3mm wall thickness from memory which is about 1/8"

Now that I've mocked up my frame, I'm going to remake the frame jig and get it up higher off the floor so I can brace the frame better for welding it up!

I ran a string line down the centre of the jig and scribed a line across the top of each 50mm brace so that I could use it as a datum line to keep the frame square and check my measurements from. This is the first hot rod I've built so I'm probably going overboard but I don't want to have to re-do anything haha

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

Thanks mate! I'm hoping the front will drop a bit once I get the weight of the engine in it! Otherwise I'll get the spring reset the amount of drop I want

15. Lou39

Lou39
    from Cedar, MI

What are those deck lid hinges? Can't seem to get the pin type adjusted.

brEad likes this.
  16. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

They were on a bench at a buddies garage, $20 for the pair, had to grind the bottom edges to match the angle and contour of the tulip panel / deck... they might have been from a boat deck ? ... DSCN0683.JPG
    DSCN0684.JPG
    IMO... check out '37 Ford flatback hinges.. they have a shorter upper half but still need to be ground like the ones i'm using ... someone repops them...
    message me if you use the '37s, as I have a method that makes getting at the mounting bolts under the tulip panel much easier...

brEad likes this.
  17. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

so I'm looking to set up my rear spring perches but the stock width seems way too close to the drums in a spring behind setup, so I'm thinking of moving them in maybe an in and a half each side, how would i work out how much to shorten my A rear leaf? I'm going to take it to a spring shop who've I've used before to reset leafs in my falcon sedan, also get him to roll the eyes on the top side when he does it!
    so yeah how do i work out how much to shorten it? I'm thinking just shorten it the same amount as i bring the perches inward?
    seems right?

18. If you're going with a spring behind at the back, why use an A spring? It just sticks up and eats into trunk space. With a 35 - 40 type spring, it keeps everything relatively flat.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

because i have an A spring haha i have thought about a 35-40 spring, know of any for sale?

carbed87 likes this.
  20. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

mate your in birkdale? I'm in wello point! have to grab a beer sometime! i think ill just get my A spring shortened maybe 1.5" each side and bring my perches in 1.5" each side, get bayside spring works to do it, should work i think

21. Manager

Manager

Hah you quoted me while I was changing my post, didn't want to offend X38 with my comment.Sorry 38 it wasn't meant as an insult.:oops: Yeah catch up sometime, I cruise around the Point most afternoons in the Sporty if not my red 28 tourer street rod I don't mention on here.:)

brainfreeze likes this.
  22. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

i may have seen you driving around, I've got a kurrajong green XL falcon, super low, thats my daily driver, ill wave ya down if i see you again

23. Don't worry, I'm not offended.;)
    To me, the only reason you would use an A spring in a behind the axle application would be to clear a QC.

brEad, lothiandon1940 and brainfreeze like this.
  24. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

i don't really plan on using the boot for much so i don't really mind not having space in there, how wide is a 35-40 spring?

25. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

yup, model A x member for clearing the quickie option... a plus with getting what you want in a sale...$

brainfreeze likes this.
  26. Manager

Manager

I think in a model A you see the diff centre readily from the rear with an A spring, instead of seeing spring and u bolts hanging down behind it. Plus you have the option of a Quickie later when you get rich.:)
    If you go the flat spring consider a 37-40 front spring. I think you don't need to narrow them.

27. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

My car will be that low that you can't see the diff haha I'm just thinking to use it since I have it already

28. Be careful, compromises based on this reasoning lead to mish-mash cars, whether it's a spring or anything else.;)

29. Manager

Manager

[​IMG]Ah O.K. I missed this most recent picture of your car, didn't realise what you have done since you first started.I was thinking you were building a traditional hot rod.Not going to matter what you use.

30. brainfreeze

brainfreeze

yeh mate its traditional, whats not traditional about it? there were heaps of low cars built in the 50's and 60's haha

AHotRod likes this.