Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical braided steel line kit ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Rocco611, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I googled and searched here but cant seem to find a source for braided steel line and fittings. I need to make a custom hydraulic clutch hose , oil pressure line and some flex brake lines. is there a source where I can buy the bulk hose and individual fittings ? looking for 3/16 teflon lined or similar

2. Grainger, Amazon, Hosecraft, Autozone, etc.:rolleyes:.........Which Google did you use?

3. Carid, eddiemarine............the list goes on and on.

4. squirrel

squirrel

Summit has a whole slew of stuff, in stock, and quick shipping....the hard part is figuring out just what you need.

5. .........Jeg's as well.

squirrel likes this.
  6. sdluck

sdluck

Where are you located,is there a royal brass?

7. I've had various hydraulic supply shops custom make lots of "lines" for various project vehicles, including fuel, A/C and others. I like the convenience of having them made while I wait and being able to see, inspect and choosing all the fitting options on the spot myself is also pretty sweet. The cost is lower than you'd think and the results are professionally crimped and finished. I design and they make. Because hydraulic service is mostly maintenance or repair, they don't mind if their customers must supply some of the original pieces.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  8. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I am in central california

9. Rocco611

Rocco611
    from Madera Ca.

I buy most everything from Summit since RockAuto ended customer service. I agree finding what I need is the hard part.

10. squirrel

squirrel

If you'd like help here, perhaps you could post detailed pics and descriptions of what it is you're working on, and we could offer suggestions.

mad mikey and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. sdluck

sdluck

12. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

You need to know what you need..!
    The rest IS actually pretty easy.
    May take some time going thru the long lists of ready made parts at Summit and Jegs. Or, you buy the detail parts and make your own. Or, you call a builder (noted above and others), tell them the length and fitting styles that you need, pay the bill and they send you newly made lines.
    Summit and Jegs have long lists of steel braided lines. As I assume other sellers do also.

Mike

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Didn't know you could buy the parts to make brake hose's, how would they be D.O.T. approved.

mad mikey and squirrel like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

but you can buy braided brake hose assemblies. I'd rather use OEM stock replacement types...unless there's a good reason to use braided.

jimgoetz, upspirate, egads and 2 others like this.
  15. oj

oj

I can make them for you, I have a deep inventory or I can spec what you need and you can get a local race car shop to make them for you. Usually the hyd T-O is #3 AN (3/16ths); oil pressure is generally #4AN; brake hoses are same hose but with crimped fittings and either -3 or -4 depending on the supply line.

16. Some truck shops may be set up to make fancy hoses and can tell you what they may need you to buy. I have one local place, Moreland Hose and 2 speed shops that make them too.

17. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree with Jim on this one.

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I purchased all my braided line and fittings from Godman Hi Performance, now called J&J Hi Performance, 901-382-7404. They carry any size line and fitting you need.

19. big john d

big john d
    from ma

if you have served in the armed forces summit will give you a discount thank you summit

jimgoetz likes this.
  20. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Yeh, contrary to what people think, the whole DOT approved deal is not just some ploy to get more money out of you, it really is a life or death matter when it comes to brake lines.
    I've done larger fuel and water related lines and yes it can be a struggle for a beginner.
    I have only done the -3 size for the brakes on my roadrace shifterkart in the early 80's, if the ready made DOT approved versions had been available back then I would have used them.
    When I did the SS brake lines on my three current projects it was a no-brainer since places like Jegs and Summit carry them in a good variety of lengths, not inexpensive but I like the peace of mind knowing the assembly processes used are certified.
    I also recommend Godman Performance for hoses and fittings, they have a pretty comprehensive inventory.

mgtstumpy and mad mikey like this.
  21. Not sure I understand the difference between making your own Stainless braided lines and making your own hard lines using a flaring tool. It’s not difficult to screw either up if you don’t take a great deal of care.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and Mr48chev like this.
  22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flairing hard line is pretty well cut and dried, either the flair seals and works well or it leaks and you redo it but it isn't going to fall apart. ON the other hand it takes a special crimping tool to crimp brake lines and most hydraulic shops won't build you a brake line even though they have the correct size hose and fittings.

23. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

No 37 degree AN brake fittings here, mandatory for all fittings to be DOT approved (45 degree or metric bubble). It's easy to buy the separate fittings and lines however they are only good for 'off-road use' only.
    Insofar as other fluid lines are concerned there are no issues with AN fittings.
    I'd bite the bullet and not skimp with safety and buy DOT approved braided brake lines and fittings. Approved hoses are certified to meet a standard.

egads likes this.
  24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Speedway carries DOT brake lines in different sizes. I bought my -3 brake hoses from them as well as all the fittings. Hard part is figuring out what you need, they have a pretty good diagram to get you started. I used their 3/16” easy bend hard lines as well. I used their diagram as a reference and drew up my system design with measurements and what fittings I needed. Then it was just a matter of looking up each fitting from their catalogue and ordering them.

denis4x4 likes this.
  25. big john d

big john d
    from ma

i have ben asked to explain the discount from summit racing i just asked the person taking my order there are many places that offer veteran discounts but do not advertise them home depot lowes 10% texas roadhouse 10% autozone competition products summit racing i am sure there are many more just ask your salesperson thanks john

26. Terrible80

Terrible80

Maybe you could find an oem hose from a similar application. If you ever need another you'd have a part number and get it over the counter.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

olscrounger likes this.
  27. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a fan of braided hoses for brakes-have had a few fail soon after install-were a quality brand from a speed shop too. A friend did his gas lines with braided hoses made by a race car shop. After a few years they now leak as well.

28. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Here in the Inland Empire, as mentioned, I like to go over and rummage the surplus aircraft parts while they make my hoses,
    Supporting Small Business:
    G & J Aircraft and Competition
    1115 S. Sultana Ave.
    Ontario, CA 91761

Phone #: (909) 986-6534
    Fax #: (909) 984-5516
    You can email us here: [email protected]
    Sorry for the Business Plug, but they support all forms of racing and normal rodder needs.

29. Oilguy

Oilguy

Use only DOT approved brake hose ASSEMBLIES. Not just approved hose with ends installed in your garage. You could end up in legal trouble should there be an accident caused by hose failure. And if you mix parts from different manufacturers and an end blows off, the hose manufacturer will not support you because you used another's fittings and vice versa.

olscrounger and egads like this.