Register now to get rid of these ads!

boxing a frame i need some tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 331caddy, Mar 19, 2004.

1. 331caddy

331caddy

im gonna box the frame on my 31 A..... what guage steel should i use and how far up should i go with the boxing.
    thanks guys

2. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

3/16". All the way.

3. No Shine 53

No Shine 53

1/8" works too.

4. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I did one last month. I made templates of the frame, one for ahead of the stock middle crossmember and one to rear. I took the templates to my local welding shop that has a huge shear. He used my patterns and made me the 4, 1/8" boxing plates plus the two 1/8" plates for the inside the crossmember and charged me $20.00. The next time I do this I will have the plates made a little smaller. It will make it easier to set them inside the frame and allow a small gap to make a better weld.

Attached Files:

5. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

i used 3/16" end to end

6. 1/8" will do it.
    It's what the chassis shops use.

Take a look at some of the ads and you'll get a good idea of what's required where.
    You will want openings for various things.

Fwiw - my Deuce factory frame with 1/8" boxing plates under the 32 roadster with tube axle up front just rolled over 40,000 miles with no problems.

That's with a torquey 462" Buick and running some of the rough roads near the house as well as Highway 99 which is pretty beat up by the big trucks.

7. gotcha

gotcha
    from Sanger, TX

I use 3/16 when I do notches, but for boxing, 1/8 is all you need...

JP

8. jub

jub
    from York, Pa

I used 3/16, made templates front ot back had them cut at local metal shop, to fit inside the frame rail so they sat back in a 1/8, I think this way it is stronger.

9. 331caddy

331caddy

thanks for the tips guys this week i should be getting into this deal... ill have some progress pics coming soon..

thanks again

10. Rusty

Rusty

Great guys I was going to ask this question myself. Almost finished wiring my shop so I can get started. Will update pics as I get them.

11. CGkidd

CGkidd

What do you guys recommend for welding on frames Wire feed or Stick? Just curious. I am getting ready to start boxing my frame soon.

12. trey

trey

i used wire feed for my dodge frame. man, thats a lot of friggin welding!!! no twisty twisty now though.

trey