Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought another junker today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LowKat, Jun 9, 2015.

1. '61 Impala convertible, I'm 3rd owner. Good running / matching 348 engine with a Turboglide. 80K miles, power steering, power brakes and top. Original interior / carpet and paint but lots of rattle can primer on it. Gonna try to get the primer off. Needs a lower right quarter for sure. Damaged then repaired with fiberglass. Little to no rust in the trunk or floors. Missing front end stuff in the trunk including nice grille.

I gave the owner a few days to think about my offer, when we talked today he wanted 2K more than I offered, which I expected. After we made the deal he says: "Oh yea, I already had the front bumper chromed and I have a new convertible top for it, and there's that NOS material for the interior and some other little stuff. I'll toss those in since you'll need it anyway."

I already have a tri-power intake manifold. Looks like I better start looking for carbs. I know where to get a good deal on an original 3X2 air cleaner base.

This is gonna be fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff and Dave Mc like this.
  2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Very cool, great project! Gary

4. Damn. Saw this same car somewhere before. Good to see you pick it up. Love that model. Almost bought a rusty same version ... a decade back. Yours is much more solid and complete then my opportunity was. Congratulations.

5. orangeamcs

orangeamcs

That's going to be nice. There is a hardtop 61 in trj can't remember the issue bit it's from Maryland, anyhow try to find it. It's probably the nicest mild custom you will ever see.

6. Very nice! I had a 59 with the turbo glide back the 60's it was nothing but trouble. 1st order is to change it to a power glide.
    my .02

7. 41 C28

41 C28

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice score! More like a cream puff than a junker.

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

I like that, a lot. When I was a kid there was a black/white top 'vert that cruised our little 'burg on occasion. Sharp ride.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a nice start on a nice car. 61's are my favorite Chevys out of the 60's. Probably because I spent a lot of time riding in a 61 Wagon when I was a kid.

11. czuch az

czuch az

I just love it when they say, "Since you're gonna need it anyway". then proceed to fill your truck with tons-o-stuff.
    I bought a 223 for the Galaxie and the guy totally unloaded all his never gonna get used 223 stuff.
    Tghe treasure of the day was a glass bowl holley.

12. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Very nice, great find with extra parts no less!

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I'd be happy with that, love the OEM colour combo.

14. Thanks for the good words. I can't wait to get it home. Probably gonna just make it a runner / driver and get it really clean before I make any major decisions. Hopefully I can cruise it some this summer.

Great score on the glass Holley. They're getting hard to find.

I was into VW Baja bugs and sand buggies in the early 80's. When I sold my last Convulsionwagen in 1985 I told the guy there was lots of free parts with the car. He ended up with two level pickup loads of "good shit" but I made him pay my asking price for the Baja. We were both happy and I haven't owned a foreign car since.

15. YES! GREAT color combination!!

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very impressive! I'm a Pre 1941 Ford guy, and can't wait to see some photos of that back home after you wash it. Good luck with the clean up. Bob

17. Glad you ended up with it. Rare car, rare engine, you scored big.

18. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

Nice! I like it :)

19. Nice score!

20. dudley32

dudley32

What a great car...I've always loved '61's...