Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bought another Ford today

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by steinauge, Oct 15, 2015.

1. PCJ

PCJ
    from Austin, Tx

On my 49 the wheel and shaft are splined with a keyed spot to make sure they line up properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

No key or taper or master spline on this one,just splines.

3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I surely do wish I could either move the hood on this car about 1\2" forward or move the front fenders about the same amount back.I have tried and tried but I just cant seem to make that happen.I have diddled the hood hinge holes some,ditto the fender mounts and it wont get any closer than it is.The hell of it is the fender to door and hood to cowl fit doesnt look too bad.Look at the front end pic on page 11 and you will see what I mean.Any input is appreciated.

4. I just want to say I am really enjoying this thread. Steinauge, you sir are an inspiration! You don't mess around, you just get after it and get it done! You don't seem to let anything hold you back.. Keep going!

5. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you for your kindness sir.

6. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I got the idea to try building a grille for the car today.I got started late but got about 4 hours in.This pic is a very rough mockup,but I believe the idea is sound.I have to make 1 more tube and get all the different length tubes in the right place.I need some way to hold the tubes in the correct position\location but still be able to move them.Maybe an "X" of zip ties on each one until I get everything just right and then start tacking? DSCN1337.JPG

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

I think you should make a some kind of jig for the grill,when you do the final welding.
    In late 90's i worked few months for a friend of mine,i was welding horse stable bars for him.
    His jig was nothing fancy,few square tubes on the table and slices of angle irons on the top of the squaretubes to keep the bars in correct position.Later he made a better jig and built a welding robot from 2 mig welders and a bunch of servomotors.He is one of the smartest fella's i know..

8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you Antti! I never thought of that.It is a lot more trouble than I expected to try and get all those tubes in the right spot and lined up.

9. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Well,I got it evened up some and tacked.At this point I need to (I think) shorten the tubes a little and make some sort of end cap to make it look more finished.Does anyone have any ideas? DSCN1338.JPG

10. Looks a lot like the one that came on mine. It has the middle bars a little longer, and the top ones a little shorter, to better conform to the contours of the grille opening though.

11. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Your car was what gave me the idea.Its all your fault!;)

Last edited: May 20, 2016
  12. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I agree, shorten the top bars to follow the end contour of the body opening.

Hard to tell from the pic, but what about the half moon opening on the bottom of the hood? Are you going to fill it to make the hood edge straight all the way across?

13. I'll take the blame! I can measure mine this weekend if you want me to, unless you're happy with it the way it is.

14. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thanks,I would like to see the measurements.I would also like to know how deep the upper surround on the hood\fenders is.

15. Will do. It's a '51 surround I know that much.

16. OK, there's 6 bars to it. Top is 42", second, is 47", bottom 4 are 48". They're bent in the middle, not sure of the angle. Hope that helps.

17. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thank you Critch! Bama mav I likely will fill the notch in the hood,I just dont want to do it until I am certain about the grille setup.

18. No problem, let me know if you need any other measurements or anything

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Gotcha! Couldn't tell if you had filled it yet or not by the pic.

20. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I finally bought a set of hubcaps.I have been trying to decide what to use for some time and finally decided to try a set of single bar flippers. DSCN1339.JPG

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  21. RMONTY

RMONTY

Sweet! That ol' car is really coming along....she's gonna be a daisy!

22. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Thanks! How are you coming on your Chev?

23. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I got some more done on the grill today. Also took the car across the highway to a nice paved secondary road that is about a mile long and drove up and down DSCN1343.JPG DSCN1344.JPG it several times.It is hard to tell much about a car on a rough dirt road,felt good to get on pavement! It all seems to work fine,the only problem is I need to reset the toe out,it has way too much.Considering how far apart that car has been that isnt too bad.I reckon I will set the toe at around 1\8-1\4" and see how that behaves.Coming back across the highway I was passed by a sheriffs deputy-I saw him coming and thought "Oh shit,here comes about 300 dollars in fines".He drove by and waved-----------some days you just get lucky.Of course he is a local guy and knows very well who I am and where I live.

24. RMONTY

RMONTY

It's coming along slowly but surely. Trying to get my engine work payed for, and just doing some sheet metal work here and there...I got all the sheet metal for the engine back yesterday, found a couple of holes in the oil pan. Fix'ed em, and am in the shop as I type waiting for filler to dry so I can prime it and hang it up to dry. Carry on....I know it must have been fun to get her on some solid ground. Did you light the tires up at all? I would have!

25. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Well,maybe just a little.A little is all you get with a mildly modified 250 and an aluminum powerglide.;) the thing that really astounded me was the lack of driveline vibes.I made that drive shaft 0ut of a rear ford piece and a chevy front piece welded together.It is straight enough but I didnt even try to balance it???? I am glad to hear you are making progress.Put up some pics when you get a chance.

26. RMONTY

RMONTY

There are a few of boring stuff on my sedan delivery page. Just some sheet metal work....I will put a few more in today but its nothing more than before, during and after of the oil pan repair.

27. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I found a set of headlight rims on evilbay for cheap! They look good in the pictures but we all know where thats at.I should have them this week.Antti check your PMs.

28. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

PM's checked and answered.
    Btw.nice choice with the hubcaps!

29. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Got my headlight rims today! I cleaned them up a bit and rattle canned them.I think they are OK.Sure enough in good shape! No dings,dents old chrome etc. DSCN1349.JPG

30. dlandberg

dlandberg
    from Sweden

Great work you been doing!! Been following along all the time really digging the non rubber mounted chevy 6 have done some of that installations in pickups with great results they run really smooth so no vibrations!