Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bought a few blowers today and would like some help.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ddpecka348, Apr 28, 2012.

1. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

Would like to have someone explain to me the ins and outs to making the blowers I got the other day work on some of my engines. 1st. The "GMC" 4-71 Blower I would love to build and clean up for a possible Flathead V8 build and would like some help understanding all the things I need for the blower and where to get them and what other parts for the motor itself. And the other one I know for sure is a "GMC" 6-71 Blower and I'd love to build my 65 327 to run that and need again help and sort of instructions to lead me in the right path. and the other 3 I'm unsure if they are all GMC 6v71's or maybe a 8v71 mixed in or not? and if It is possible to make a "dumby" blower with no rotators inside and being hallow and just running carbs on it or in it? I know its been done just unsure how. I also got a brand new Bearing and gasket set along with the blowers. Show me the way PLEASE
    Also bought a Sun 504 Distributor Tester and a Sun Scope Motor Tester along with the blowers and lets just say I got them really cheap and surprised how cheap but just excited to be learning new things and ready to start cleaning things up and rebuild em! :D Not bad for $200 I thought :cool:

Attached Files:

2. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

$200, I think the term is "you stole them". Subscribed to learn more as well.

Scotty.

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Man are you sure your name ain`t"Jesse James"?You got one hell of a deal.Excellent score.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

$200 is honestly all they are worth. you have a 4-71, big bore 6-71, 6v71 and two 8v71 by the looks of the pic.

5. One Finger John

One Finger John

I kinda fancy the Sun machines. Do they work? Were they included in the $200.00?
    Should of read the whole post. Anyway, congrats on the haul.

6. kelzweld

kelzweld

You might want to get hold of a book called Street Supercharging by Pat Ganahl. It has some good info on setting a GMC up for a petrol street motor.

7. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

Yes they were included and im hoping to get them somewhat working

8. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A lot depends on condition. If the inside of the case is all scored and rutted it is useless for a supercharger.

But if you want to run a "dummy" blower for looks here is how. Start with a 4 barrel intake. Cut a flat plate of aluminum to bolt on the intake, that you can bolt the blower housing to. Sandwich the plate between the carb and intake. Bolt the blower housing on top.

To make it good you will need to make a bearing on the front to hold the pulley, and another pulley on the crankshaft for a dummy blower drive.

Also, you will need to put a gear drive on the camshaft to get the "blower whine".

You may also want to drill small holes in the blower case so you can reach in with a screwdriver and adjust the carb.

O ya, you will need to machine the top of the manifold flat so the blower will fit level. Then use an angle spacer under the carb like they use on boats.

This is if you want to put a fake fuel injection on top of the blower. If you want to, you can put the carb on top of the blower. But then you will need to make up some kind of pipe or duct from the carb, through the blower case, to the intake manifold.

9. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

There are 2 sizes I know of 6-71 blowers, The book mentioned above has good info setting up a diesel blowers.

Ago

10. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

$200?!?!?!?!?!?! Are your knees sore? Lol that's insane. Good score!

11. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

"Also, you will need to put a gear drive on the camshaft to get the "blower whine"."

...actually, the blower whine comes from the cogged belt drive...alot of guy's who don't like the noise, will drill small holes in the pulley's, between the ribs, to eliminate it...

12. You can also make a dummy with carbs on top by building 2 "boxes" and sliding them down from the top to the bottom inline with the carbs and weld them top and bottom, mill a 4 bbl manifold flat to the block and weld the mounting plate on it. then run the bearing and pullys and viola a real looking dummy blower!

13. budd

budd

14. Fake dummy blower ,,,,, ahh like blonde with a boob job, I get it.

15. fake blower ? must be the same dumb-dumbs that run olds covers on a sbc.

16. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

The only reason id run or sale a fake is if the cases are shot or rotors would be messed up. But does anyone have any good leads or information or who to get a hold of to talk about putting the 4-71 on a flathead? and what is consisted in a conversion from diesel to gas and whatever is needed to put on a flathead or 327.

17. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

Pictures of the 4-71 and what I'd want my coupe to look like with the blown flathead.

Attached Files:

18. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

Someone needs to re-clearance it for your application. Needs mounting lugs cut off side, better bearings & seals, and either a modified or aftermarket rear bearing plate. there's also drain holes in the case needing to be plugged, and the timing needs to be set.

19. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

That's a later style blower with the better rear plate. Should be fine just get a cover for it.

I'm completely jealous of the deal you got, as long as everything is good.

20. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Very nice score:)! The 4-71 will fit perfectly on a flathead.
    As said abowe, just some minor change of parts++.
    The rear bearing plate would be wery nice if ju just machine it down and polish:D!
    I wish I had Dads old Sun Tester:(!

Taildragger&fenderless

21. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

did you get em in GI ? when i worked at DpC,we went threw a few & scrapped em instead of rebuild them,:mad: i remember loading a half dozen or so into the scrap bins,when i moved out here i know there was pile of them still behind the building in back,---chuck

Last edited: Apr 29, 2012
  22. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

Chuck go buy em up! I got these from a older diesel mechanic near my high school! Awesome guy sat for hours while he tought me things about these blowers

23. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

Any leads to which holes I need to plug?? And anyone I can call to discuss on how to convert it to gas? And how to build a flathead aluminum intake to a blower intake for the 4-71? Drawings/designs w or build process would be great! As I will be beginning courses at Southeast Community College in Machine Tool Technology in July and may be able to make some of my own pieces!

24. RADustin

RADustin
    from Louisiana

buy the street supercharging book and buy the CD from deanblowers.com

has everything you need to know.

25. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

You need to find a Detroit Diesel truck repair manual and teach yourself tear down and clearancing the rotors. They are timed and clearanced so they dont hit. The pullers needed to remove the drive gears etc are kinda special made but simple.

Blower size is the factory set up , ex: a 4-71 blower will fit a 4 cylinder of 71 cubic inchs per cylinder which in stock config will feed 284 cu inch (perfect for the flathead. ie - 4x71=284
    Small marks and scores in the cases dont hurt a thing as long as everything is clearanced an nothing hits.
    With some reason a 4-71 can be overdriven to displace a lot more air and more cubic inches....

26. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

Dick in Wahoo does em for alot of locals 402-443-5025,and Rick Dean in Iowa has a video and kits 360 451 2119,Theres a blown flatty going together now in lincoln just off the interstate and 27th.I wish you luck on the 4-71 on a flathead it'll be a high doller build with any boost.You might consider scrapping the blower idea and putting your thoughts toward reverse flowing that flathead.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  27. Darrin, years ago I knew a guy at the Lincoln city bus shop that set them up all the time. You might try calling down to there shop to see if they have a guy there that would mess with them on the side. Chuck Ruby comes to mind. He might also still work part time for Belmont car care shop over by the LES building on North 27th street in Lincoln.

28. ddpecka348

ddpecka348

Thanks Jeff I was wanting to get ahold of Dick! and Thanks Larry the guy I bought them from may know him!

29. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

I believe Hampton Blowers refurbishes old diesel blowers into useable "hot rod" units. They are easy enough to find just Google Hampton Blowers. Not cheap though, I'm thinking its around two grand.

30. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

Please no fake blower! I used to see those on pro street posers in the nineties! I have always used BDS for all my blower service, they do a good job ans I have never had a quality issue with them. Good luck, time to break all the weak parts in your drivetrain!