Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Bought a 40 Merc not a Dodge, a MERC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by VANDENPLAS, Aug 8, 2021.

1. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@VANDENPLAS,

Dodge it or Buy it?...:p

Seriously nice Cruiser...a little altitude adjustment and some mild extra carbs and I can imagine your smile...

VANDENPLAS and wood remover like this.
  2. A height adjustment would be one of the first things done !!

Stogy likes this.
  3. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Vaaaan...well...did ya get the Dodge Duster?...:)

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. Been busy , and the weather here has sucked hot humid and crazy rain. Spoke with the owner shooting for Friday

Stogy likes this.
  5. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fingers crossed for you...and yes the weather...:eek:...couple more days of that stuff coming too...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. 9BE1B0C3-6E2D-4397-B6F9-4FB9678A69CF.jpeg 218EDA0B-E26C-4C54-9D37-B95F05AD07CB.jpeg

I’m not sure what I did to the wife , but she showed me this , this morning!! Say she likes it as well, reminds her of the 50 fleetline I had , showed it to my older daughter and she likes it as well.
    I dunno man…… I did something good! Wish I knew what it was !!!!! Lol. Gonna call the guy today .

7. Man, you must have done something right or it is a trap...one of the two. Either car could be cool.

8. Yes, be scared.;)

9. Either she’s gambled our savings away and wants me to buy a “toy” to share the blame of our despair :D

or she realizes I’m a car guy without a car !!!!

Lol , she’s great . Saved my life n puts up with me definitely a keeper !!

she told me I deserve a car, but that I’m to busy for a budget car that will be a project , spend a bit more n just drive !!!

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  10. Sounds like you better find a good driver soon. If anything like my experiences, that situation could change tomorrow. :D

11. Went to look at the Ford yesterday super clean car it runs and drives all stock, the guy is firing a vapour lock issue.

new tank 1/4” copper line rebuilt carb. The gas cap was non vented
    He’s going to put a bigger line and a vented cap
    He’s a hardcore car guy. And wants it running right before it’s sold

drove it it drives nice, but it’s stock.
    We did settle on a price but told him to give me a day to think about it.

mid I get this I think I would need to do juice brakes and either a 5 speed or an overdrive unit so I could actually drive this thing.

I enjoy driving my cars a lot and in stock form I think , think I would tire of it sooner rather the later.

I’m going to look at the Chevy tomorrow after work.

tje Chevy right off the hop would need the window tint removed, and different wheels, the ones on it look ok, but a little to street rod -ish for me

Stogy and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  12. Never ran a bigger line than 1/4 inch on flatheads ,never an issue , non vented cap is a problem , fuel lines to close to heat source also a problem . To put the 5/16th line will likely be an array of ill fitted fittings. Stromberg carb I assume , or ford 94 ??

Stogy and VANDENPLAS like this.
  13. Looked like a stromberg , it’s a new copper line right up to and in the carb, he put a few loops in the line between the fire wall and engine for vibration
    I’m thinking and so is he it’s probably the cap.

my only concern is if I improve the brakes and put an overdrive or 5 speed swap and I going to go nuts and blow the bank on this car.

Stogy and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  14. 6B1F2482-C025-44F2-84EA-0B6ECB89AC6A.jpeg I just joined the 4 door club as well. Go for it!

15. @Dan Hay how do you like driving it and how much do you drive it ?

you need to hold in in 2nd or it’ll pop out ?

Stogy and Dan Hay like this.
  16. Shouldn't pop out , transmission issue if it does ...

clem, Stogy, VANDENPLAS and 1 other person like this.
  17. evintho

evintho

The '37 is cool but I'm kinda leaning toward the Chevy. Having a '54 Customline, I'm biased towards '50s cars.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  18. I like driving it, but I don’t like the body roll in turns, I’m going to lower it and install sway bars front and rear. Mine has Lincoln front brakes that are self energizing so it stops a lot better than 40 brakes. If you do the hydraulic conversion do the Lincoln or 60’s F100 front brakes. They are an easy conversion.

if you have to hold it in second the trans it probably pretty wore out. Mine is fresh and it shifts great and doesn’t pop out of any gear.

I should also mention that mine has a 305 Chevy adapted to the 39 box and banjo, so it goes just fine.

19. Just got back from looking at the 53.

how do you say lip stick on a pig without sounding rude ?
    Man are the pics deceiving!!

Anyways going to call the guy on the Ford in the morning ,

I know , I know , it’s not a dodge :D

20. Pretty sure the Ford is the right decision between the two.

21. clem

clem

Common problem with these gearboxes, - can be a pain, but can also be fixed easily.

I drove my ‘32 for 10 years like that, but now with a ‘39 box that is perfect it is a lot easier to drive, and more enjoyable.

only problem with a fordor is it doesn’t look quite as nice as a tudor.
    I have never regretted buying mine and it’s nowhere as tidy as what you are looking at…

CF682375-733C-4E36-AED4-23E36028E2C3.jpeg

22. FF56FB44-8EFD-4193-8851-174D1EB1A368.jpeg 6C2FF7FD-F5F6-432D-AD05-A7C6FA4D76B3.jpeg

fully finished basement, water was coming up through the vinyl plank floor, pulled up the floor and chased the water to the wall (s)

got a foundation waterproof company on contract and starting mid September, insurance adjuster is coming by tonight.

If I didn’t have bad luck, I’d have no luck at all.:(

called the guy with the Ford and told him I gotta wait and see what I’m paying for here before I buy the Ford.

Oh well, gonna take my shirt off and go sit in the corner and cry

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Patience, there's a silver lining in all of this...We'll just go along with the suspense of it all...;)

Best of luck in the repairs...

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  24. Thanks @Stogy the car is not gone forever .

just off the table for the next little bit till this soggy mess gets sorted .

Fingers crossed. Thanks home slice !

Stogy likes this.
  25. clem

clem

before this gets deleted…..
    sure the water wasn’t coming in through the walls, ( looks like a combination of wet and white mould ) - are they wet to touch ? If not properly sealed/water proofed from behind, they leak water as quick as most sieves………
    ( I have done permeability tests on them - probably the most porous building material out there ).
    Usually the concrete floor is on polythene so doesn’t create a problem.
    Inappropriate for this forum I know.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. I sure hope the guy with the '37 will have some patience with you on this

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  27. Seems your life is similar to mine. Every time I think I am ready to jump off into something new, I get to fix something I already have. Hopefully you can get it all worked out soon.

VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  28. That is a great looking 37! If you do get it and you want an OD look into Mitchell OD's. They are Bullitt proof and easy to install.

Mike

CME1, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  29. Heres a 37 Frod 4 Door with the corrected height roof........belongs to a mate of mine.............oh........& I don't mind 4 doors myself either........I've had the ol' brown turd 1940 Dodge for 50 years next month, hotrodded since 1973........andyd

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71, VANDENPLAS and Stogy like this.
  30. Truly a bummer , but there will always be something claiming spare money or time .
    Everything happens for a reason , and perhaps a more wanted car is coming down the pipes ...

Jibs, Truckdoctor Andy and VANDENPLAS like this.