Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bought 41 ford frame, what do i have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Swiss50chevy, Jul 9, 2014.

1. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

10325135_10154317073120548_1936438050458424675_n.jpg Got a few questions. Picked this up for $300, was told it was a 41 ford coupe. I am naïve when it comes to flatheads but I am super excited to own one!! I know it is a 221 CI flathead (seized) and the heads have "A" cast on them. Any information and opinions will be appreciated. 10544410_10154317072250548_8527435484784129667_n.jpg

Is this for sure a 41 model?

What cc are the heads?

How many parts can be utilized in a model A build? Brakes?

2. Dizzy looks right to be about a '40 or '41..

CC - No idea.. stock cast iron heads are good for wallhangers or boat anchors thats about it imo.

Parts wise.. everything really. Brakes, stub axles, wishbone, MAYBE the axle although i'd tend to go an earlier one.. get a dropped A axle instead. You could use the '41 axle though. The lever shocks if you are that way inclined.. Engine, gearbox, rear end (not the spring.. look up Chris' tech thread on adapting a later rear in a Model A.. use the A spring).. pedals, steering column, box and wheel..

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great deal for the low $$! A plethora of parts there...Yes, frame is a '41, looking at the center X-member, anti-roll bar, and shocks.
    Model A build will be an 'A' or '32 frame, advisably. Front axle and spring are too large, and axle wishbone bosses too wide...'28-'36 axle/Model A-'34 spring fits best, you can trim the wishbones (if you split 'em)
    Rear end and spring can be used, (extend the rear of frame when you 'step' it, many builds on here to guide. Torque tube/driveshaft has to be shortened, use the engine and trans, and the steering column with column shift, F-1 pickup steering box.
    Use the front brakes, spindles, and drums.
    Heads are VERY useable, low CCs if engine is a 221...(59 AB heads have large chambers, these are small. Will do 'til you buy some good Navarros...

Like I said: Many Model A builds on the HAMB to follow...

4. Swiss50chevy

Swiss50chevy

thanks for the pointers;)

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

You got a very good deal on a lot of usable parts there. Pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with a 50/50 mix of acetone and ATF and let it soak. Every so often put a breaker bar on the crank snout and rock it back and forth gently until you feel it start to move. Generally, it is the rings frozen to the walls of the cylinders and when you get those broken loose it will move. The flathead I have was like that and I got it unstuck that way.

Don

6. X2!

7. You made a great deal. For an AV8 you can use the front spindles, the front brakes, the motor, the drive shaft and torque tube, the rear axle, and the rear brakes.

1939 was the last year Ford used a top mounted shifter transmission. In 1940 they started using a side shifter. You can build the car with the side shifter and use the original linkage and steering column (difficult). You can also use a 32-39 transmission or one out of a later pickup truck (with the top shifter) . If you decide to use a top shifter save your old transmission. Ford used the same basic transmission almost 20 years (with continuous improvements). The parts may be useful in a rebuild. Van Pelt Sales has a lot of transmission info on their web site. http://www.vanpeltsales.com/

As noted above, the wishbones can be modified to work. However, the front axle is not the best for a rod with split wishbones. Any Ford front axle from 1928 to 1936 is the better option along with a 28 to 34 front spring. Same for wishbones. I like the 35/36 best.

Sid or Joe can help you with a dropped front axle and may give you a credit for the axle you have. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nostalgia-sids-dropped-axle-service.647246/

Your frame looks good. You may be able to peddle it, along with the springs and shocks on the Ford Barn or HAMB classifieds.

One final tip. If you are going to build an AV8 get up off your billfold and buy a copy of "How To Build A Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardell.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  8. Guys, in regards to the axle / wishbone bosses.. '28 - '31 are the same (2 1/4") and then '37 through '48 are also 2/14". '32 - '36 are 2".

The '41 - '48 stepped wishbone will go right onto a Model A axle, or '37 up. You'll need to pack a '32 - '36 axle with a spacer. It may not go straight on BOTH sides, as i'm not sure how wide the axle bosses are between a Model A and a '41 - '48. But if you split them, it'll work fine.

I know, because i had to trim 1/4 from my '36 wishbones which are 2" to fit a Model A axle.

9. I agree with Bib on the axle though, a dropped Model A / '32 or even up to a '36 is a better choice.

Edit: Just remembered the shock mounts on the rear end are also very handy to use. And instead of extending the frame to make the later spring behind setup work, you can knock out the rivets if the A crossmember, slide it forward however much you need.. and then flip the bells on the rear end so the spring mounts forwards. I think that's an easier solution than extending the frame.

10. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Definately a 41-48 frame. Lever shocks tend to be pre-48.