Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Border Bandits Gas class builds to the Southeast Gassers rules.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by II FUNNY, Nov 5, 2014.

1. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

I need an aluminum center section, just can't bring myself to spend the money on one!

2. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Get after it!!! Or I'm going to rename your car "Back Burner"

3. Not a ton of progress that can be seen just finish welding a bunch of stuff and fitting fiberglass trunk. But I did get the moon tank mounted and now I am re doing my mid plate setup to make sure I have enough clearance on the clutch fingers. We drew up a mid plate and had it water jet at a local shop. Since I don't have a block to put the tabs where they need to go I got it bolted in along with the previous mid plate and I just shimmed the new tabs so they will be in the correct location when I put the motor back in. The new mid plate is 1/4" the old was 1/8". I have also been working on window track for the doors and figuring out the window felt also I want it to look like it did stock around the windows with the stainless bead on the fuzzy.

Attached Files:

4. Also got the vent windows mounted in the doors.

Attached Files:

Pufff, Dog_Patch, 3dnsouth and 6 others like this.
  5. Paint yours silver.., $3.99

OahuEli and racer-x like this.
  6. Write "Aluminum" on it somewhere.., $3.99005

loudbang likes this.
  7. Adding weight back in? Wing Windows?.., oh, you must be a cigarette smoker.

Dog_Patch, fast30coupe and loudbang like this.
  8. Nope never been a smoker lol. I like the look of the wing window and I had to figure something out for window chanel anyways so that was the easiest solution and the look I want. After a lexan window and some holes drilled in it shouldn't even see a difference. And people are gonna be like how does that thing only weigh 2300 pounds with the driver and still have all its trim :cool:

Pufff, OahuEli, Dog_Patch and 6 others like this.
  9. Finally got the tunnel completely finished. Just have to take it back apart and Finnish trimming the edges inside the shifter box and bolt it all together.

Attached Files:

Pufff, Dog_Patch, Nitrofreak and 8 others like this.
  10. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I finally picked up a steering box. I decided to try reversing a stock aluminum corvair box. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056119.981582.jpg
    I picked one up on eBay for $120
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056158.583052.jpg
    I disassembled it and drove out the seal. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056199.069920.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056243.608865.jpg
    I indicated the bearing race in...the interweb says to just drill it on a drill press, but I wanted it dead on. It also said to drill it out to 7/8", but the seal measured 15/16", so I went to .936 for a little press fit.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056394.418240.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056413.360963.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056439.157658.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056454.048316.jpg
    And all reassembled...it was a piece of cake.

11. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I also have the headers mostly tacked together... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056576.443281.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056588.532461.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056601.472343.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056631.987952.jpg
    I still need to add three inches to the primaries, and finish weld them up.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457056645.728313.jpg
    I think they resemble the ones on this flip top Mercury...

Attached Files:

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Nice job
    Good to see you using a Craftsman socket for a seal installer.

13. beebee78

beebee78
    from illinois

image.jpeg Not much progress to report on the Grape, new starter and sent the carb out for a refresh?? Now gotta get out there and install, lol

14. Man, nice job on the headers there II Funny!

15. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

I have enjoyed following these post's . you guys are doing some great fab work, Started drag racing in 1971 when I was 16 , of course I only live about 14 miles from Union Grove, in Burlington at the time . What else would I do lol. My first all out drag car I built in 1979, back then we use to think every 100 lb's was worth a 10th . Well I spent untold hours stripping undercoating, sound deadner, gutted the dash ,the doors and windows , headlite's , Interior everything you could think of. Windows where replaced with plexiglass . fiberglass hood, drag seats, so on and so on! A friend owned a feed mill at the time with a large drive on scale. Before I gutted the body we weighed it before and after. the difference was 400 lbs . I took a cherry 71 Roadrunner and turned it into a race only shell and saved four tenths!!! Anyway I hope all your , weight saving steps work out better for you than mine did . I stopped racing in the early 90's when electronics took over . But I have been going to Melt down the last few years. Maybe after I get the Merc done, there is a 65 parts car in my Mustang collection and a 7 liter from a 66 Galaxie. I always wanted to build my own version of a FX Mustang like the Dark Horse 2 of Stone ,Woods and Cook. or Gas Rhonda, Retirement project????? Keep up the great work and hope to see some of you guys at Melt down 2016! Larry

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  16. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Got my block out of my basement with the help of my brother, and set the block between frame rails and bolted the bellhousing and transmission up to it. I'm thinkning the motor is going to have to sit a bit higher than where it currently is but wanted to get an idea of where i need to make a trans mount at and see if i could tie in the ladder bar front brackets on this cross member as well. 1457815820113.jpg 1457815832358.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. 91whitestang

91whitestang
    from Wisconsin

Jeff came up and took a look at where the motor was sitting and agreed it needed to come up so he helped me get the motor and trans up higher and cut some of the firewall out. I'll post some more pics tomorrow when i get back out there. Now i should be able to get crossmembers, ladder bars figured out, motor mounts on and start getting all the brackets on rearend housing.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Got the tin finished up except the kick panels. Made another drive shaft loop and more stout crossmember to attach the seat belt tabs to. Also made clutch pedal and gas pedal stops. Window net tabs are welded on incase I have it certified. Hope to have all the chassis work done tomorrow so I can take it down to my shop for body work and paint.

Attached Files:

19. Uncledirty616

Uncledirty616

20. The Skairlane made it to its new home for a little bit. Let the body work begin :D

Attached Files:

21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sweet did you get a free estimate

OahuEli, loudbang, beebee78 and 2 others like this.
  22. Hope it doesn't get lost in paint shop purgatory.:(

loudbang likes this.
  23. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Its a race car no one should get much of a chance to see it. If they got the tune up right.

beebee78 and loudbang like this.
  24. I got it mostly tore down tonight going to the blaster tomorrow to take the rest of the paint and rust off the inside. Only estimate I gave my self is when I want it done lol. Don't worry I'm full steam ahead plan on putting a ton of overtime in on it after work to get it done. I hope to have it really close to paint or maybe even painted in 3 weeks.

Attached Files:

Pufff, OahuEli, Dog_Patch and 13 others like this.
  25. Got the body all blasted not a spec of paint left on it. patched up a few small holes and got it in sealed with epoxy primer. Also did a little fiberglass work on the front end. This week will be body work and more fiberglass work on the doors and front end.

Attached Files:

Pufff, OahuEli, powrshftr and 14 others like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks ready for paint don't weigh it down.

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The Southeast Gassers have a crank center line minimum height rule but I'm sure y'all already know that. Looking good can't wait to see them all finished.

28. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

If you bust ass you could make Greer, just saying!

29. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

30. Lol I still don't have the motor back and it's not sounding like I will get it back as planned I gotta call him mid week to see. It's gonna be a lot of work to get it done for Knoxville but I will be there for sure if I gotta take a week off work to do it.

Dog_Patch, loudbang, beebee78 and 3 others like this.