Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical BOP TOPS

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by CARPY, Oct 4, 2018.

1. CARPY

CARPY

Hey Guys
    I am considering a top for my AV8, I dont have the old original bows, I saw SID's Bop tops but 1. Feck me they are expensive ( Almost $3000 ) and 2. I want to have my upholstery with the roll over back on the seat in Oxblood leather, I think that may hinder a Top.
    Does anyone make an upholstered Top ready to go or can help me here?
    $3000 is a lot of bread, I could get the upholstery done for way less.
    Any help or tips who I can try? I am in La Mirada California. 28 roadster7.jpg 28 roadster7.jpg

Attached Files:

• 106.jpg
      106.jpg
      File size:
      97.3 KB
      Views:
    31hotrodguy likes this.
  2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Speedway sells a set of top Irons with the wood header for around $400 for regular steel and $500 for stainless. I bought a steel one a while back for my 29 but haven't put it on and covered it yet. It fit pretty well and has decent adjustability for use with my 2 inch chopped windshield.

4. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@CARPY …………..I have no idea...………….but your roadster is beautiful...…….at least I think so

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Dang...Killer car.

7. banjorear

banjorear

It may be easier and cheaper to make your own. The '28-'29 top irons are difficult to chop because of the oval tubing that tapers fore and aft. If you want original iron, look for a '30-'31 Deluxe top that uses flat stock.

8. CARPY

CARPY

Well, looks like I may have to look about a bit more, $3000 for a top is way out of a Hot Rodders pay check and $3000 I could get a Halibrand or even a blower, so will look around a bit and check all these places you told me about but Speedway stuff sucks royally I have so much crap from them, made in Taiwan rubbish. But if you know someone that can make one let me know, rather pay a Hot Rod shop than buy China crap. 32507936_10156250064511760_8303874445643087872_n.jpg

9. CARPY

CARPY

Thanks mate I love it too, its getting there. copy1.JPG

10. CARPY

CARPY

Thanks, I shall keep looking for a while thats for sure and really appreciate everybody's input. copy11.JPG

11. CARPY

CARPY

Cheers, its on going but I am having fun with, I love the late 40's look. Copy14.JPG

lothiandon1940 and hrm2k like this.
  12. CARPY

CARPY

hrm2k likes this.
  13. CARPY

CARPY

14. Fogger

Fogger

I had a set of original irons for my roadster and bought bows from LaBaron-Bonney. I fit everything and stained the wood and took the car to Luis Loyola in El Segundo, 310-904-2337. Luis covered the top in a stock pattern and is a dealer for LaBaron-Bonney. Call him before you buy anything he may have what you need.

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

made a 1" by 2" rectangular steel w/s header...
    a buddy [electrician] bent some conduit for me... made the main bow and the forward tilted bow by bending 90*s as tight as possible...
    went to a boat shop and bought every fitting I needed, coupler, clevis, pivot, etc...
    tied the 2 bows together with 2 canvas straps that had loops sewn into both ends...
    tied the main bow [down / back] to the floor with ratchet straps...
    only pic I saved... cobbster 23 003.JPG

16. CARPY

CARPY

Was that a Coupe Originally?

17. Your Roadster is very nice! I have Lebaron Bonney top on my roadster. It is 2"chop and basically stock design. My top is always down unless it is raining or in winter. I like other tops that I have seen when they are up, more than mine. But I like the way mine looks when it is down and folded, it has that jalopy look . It is easy to put up and down if it starts to rain. I did not want one I had to store in the trunk etc..
    BRIDGEWATER SHOW 2015 068.JPG KENT2015 001.JPG

18. swifty

swifty

The top iron sets sold by Speedway were originally built by Waddingtons here in Australia. I doubt that is the situation now but you may be able to buy a set direct from Waddingtons. They used to have a warehouse in L.A.
    One of our club members used a set on his early A pickup and they worked well.

19. IMHO your car will not look good with a BOP top. Stick with a stock style.

lothiandon1940, teach'm and seadog like this.
  20. CARPY

CARPY

I wont touch any of their products im afraid.

21. CARPY

CARPY

Why? I saw some awesome 28-29 roadsters at the LA Roadster show with them fitted, looked Killer.

22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

truck cowl, tudor doors, '29 rear quarters, lasalle cockpit combing...

23. banjorear

banjorear

Agreed. When done right, they look great.

24. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For the avoidance of doubt (and at the risk of maybe stating the obvious) there's a major difference between a regular style top and a Bop top, ignoring the aesthetics! A bop top doesn't fold down. Sure it comes off complete and can be broken down to be stowed if required, but it's really an on or off deal.

I have a Rodwell top on my 32 which is basically the same. Takes a few minutes on or off for the complete unit, but breaking down / stowing or unpackaging / reassembly takes a good 10 to 15 minutes. That suits me as the top isn't there 99.99% of the time. But it wouldn't work if say I wanted it down most of the time but regularly up as a sun shade or occasional rainfall, so it'd be dismantled and assembled probably at least once a day. In my case when in Ca I just grin bear it (and work on my tan ;) ), but that makes it really tough on long days in the saddle.

I guess it really depends on what you want it for, the climate you have and whether it's just for local use or road trips.

I don't know what it's like to live with a regular style top folded down. I know many hate the appearance of that!

So many considerations! One size certainly doesn't fit all!

nb, the Waddington stuff is quality, and i doubt they scale that back on things sold through Speedway! I think the have a shop in Orange, Ca.

Chris

25. CARPY

CARPY

Chris- That was my shop, we both parted company.