Register now to get rid of these ads!

bonneville speed week

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deadly, Jan 11, 2013.

1. deadly

deadly
    from surrey,uk

Hoping to get my '34 chevy coupe to speed week this year. At the moment its just a shell....thinking of using an inline 8 & 5 speed box. Anyone got any advice on cam/carbs etc etc.
    Looking for an original grill if anyone has one. Need as much advice as poss on the build & requirements!!...wheels/roll cage/back axle....
    thanks

2. Do you have a rule book yet? Get one, read it cover to cover.

3. Good Luck! You'll never be the same when you get back!

4. h.i.

h.i.
    from denver

Search around on here, hook up with some other Brits that have been over already. Also go to landracing.com and join up. And order the rule book, study it for a few years, then build your car.

5. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

major undertaking in a relatively short period of time. but, since you can afford to ship a car and fly yourself and crew over here you likely have the means to do it. don't expect to pull right in and go racing. will have to get car safety inspected and meet all of the requirements. then you and the car will have to start out slowly to convince the safety crew that you are ready to go all out in whatever class you will be in. anything is possible. there are plenty of threads here on Bonneville that you need to search for and read.

7. deadly

deadly
    from surrey,uk

.....cars already there at a friends in Klamath Falls-just a shell. We'll be on a budget, but hopefully (as you say) anything is possible. Will search out the old threads as you suggest. Thanks

8. This thread reminds me of Burt Munro,,not that you are misguided but how he showed up at Bonneville and didn't have a clue as to what was involved,,but the mans dogged tenacity endeared him to racers at that time and turned him into a cult hero.

I wish you all the luck in the world. HRP

Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  9. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

first, throw your budget away. second, get a rule book and read it cover to cover. then read it cover to cover again.
    if you have questions, it is always best to ask them ahead of time. landspeedracing.com is also a very good resource. i've done tech inspections on a few HAMBers cars and we did most of it by emailing pictures back and forth for months ahead of time.

-rob zomber [email protected]

shoot me an email if you want and i'd be happy to help you out however i can. i will also be in portland later in the year for the swap meet, so if your cage is done i'd be happy to do a pre-tech for ya.

10. deadly

deadly
    from surrey,uk

Thanks. Love the film 'the fastest indian' made about him.

11. Dave Gray

Dave Gray

Good advice on the rule book. What class are you planning on running?
    The rules vary greatly from class to class. Ask lots of questions.
    Dave
    56 Corvette

12. If your going to make it you need to get off the computer and get to work! :D HRP

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, when I saw your first post I wondered if you were planning or actually racing or being another poser with a beat up flatz black coupe with a crudely painted number playing look at me and take my picture please.

Rule book, If you don't have one get one before you do anything else. Then first you worry about building a roll cage that will pass tech and then worry about building the rest of the car around it.

The simple way to go racing and actually race would be to buy a car that had passed tech and had been run in the past five years that wouldn't need much updating safety wise and then put your engine in it and go race. Not as thrilling as building your own car but in most cases it would let a guy or team get out and race a lot sooner unless they have really deep pockets to pull large bills out of to pay for building a car to run in a short period of time. I looked at a turn key third generation Camaro (totally not Hamb friendly) a year or two ago that had run 200+ and was complete for a lot less than it cost to build it. The guy who had it for sale had marked off running 200 at Bonneville on his bucket list and was moving on to other quests in other directions.

14. deadly

deadly
    from surrey,uk

xo i think.

15. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

A LOT of information on Landracing.com. Good article this month in Hot Rod Magazine on st8 Buick Roadmaster powered 1952 Buick super.

16. deadly

deadly
    from surrey,uk

thanks, will check it out