Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bonneville Speed week!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kuztomklaus, Dec 31, 2009.

1. RatRoy

RatRoy

I have never been but always wanted to. Maybe this will be the year. Do you need any kind of tickets to attend? Can you drive out to the race track and park to watch? I have some family in Salt Lake City so lodging is not a problem. What else would I need to attend speed week? Thanks....:confused:

2. doctorZ

doctorZ

i booked my room at the bend in the road!

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I hear that they have a huge bathroom there....:)

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

this last year I stayed at the bend in a tent Fri, Sat, Sun, and monday. Then the cheap motels in UT had rooms @ 69 a night. Left for home on Friday.

I stayed near the ditch. Did not have any critters visit.

I'm Thinking this same plan for this year, too.

5. FIL

FIL

We'll be booking our flights shortly... flying from Australia to LA then to San Jose, picking up a car we left there in 2009 and driving via LA, Death Valley, Vegas, the Grand Canyon and Salt Lake City to Bonneville, spending the week there and then driving back to San Jose via Sacramento...

The missus has already asked if we can do some camping while we're in the states, and I know my brother (whos house the car is at) has recently bought a 20 acre block and a lot of camping gear... :)

oh, and I also know of a few other Aussies making the trip to the hallowed salt this year...

6. fonti

fonti

...did it last year - drove with the Rolling Bones from NY to the salt and will be there this August again...fuc___salt fever!!!

7. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

Just booked my room at the Roach Coach Inn...

8. FIL

FIL

Looks like we'll be staying at the Bend in the Road for a night or maybe 2, but we'll have to find power to recharge camera and laptop batteries before too long, so might try to book a room from the 16th onwards...

Just a quick question on the schedule... Officially the week starts on the 14th, do people normally turn up the day before to hit the salt at daybreak, or start turning up during the first official day?

9. hudson48

hudson48

On a tight schedule so what are the best days to go

10. firingorder1

firingorder1

I'm booked in to the 5 star Bend. A great place to stay!!! With a bit of luck the sidecar will bring home a couple of records.

11. FIL

FIL

Hudson - I hear from others who've been before me, the first 2 or 3 days are the best, after that, because everyone wants to turn up on the first day and blow everyone out of the water.... after a couple of days, they've either done what they came to do, or broken something, and start to head for home...

not sure how much truth there is in that, but thats the general consensus from those i've asked...

12. saltfevr

saltfevr

13. firingorder1

firingorder1

Its a pretty true statement. There is also the old Bonneville adage "Come prepared to run. You don't know what the weather will do."

14. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

FYI - The Nugget is on the BEDBUG travelers hotel warning site. If you go there don't put any of your stuff in the dresser - live out of your suitcase or backpack.

Now maybe if your clothes are soaked with nitro and oil the bedbugs won't bite.

15. Marcia

Marcia

Friday you can watch tech inspection, which is always interesting. The crowd gets smaller as the week goes on.

16. chopz56

chopz56

The first time i went was the 60th 2008,i have to say it was one of the best expirences of my life,i went with some friends in a rented van.........next i want to drive my 56 Chevy wagon there from Chicago and back,and i even want to camp at the bend in the road again!

17. mad-cad

mad-cad

less than 6 months to go!! shite....I'd better start working on the car.

18. KENDEUCE

KENDEUCE

Went 2 years ago and loved it. I suggest coming day before start for inspection day. All the cars are in line for inspection and you can stroll/bullshit all day.

19. hudson48

hudson48

Decided that we would rent an RV out of SLC.There are 3 of us and my friend in Escondido got a great deal.We will drive in from SLC and find somewhere to set up in Wendover and then drive out each day from there

Any advice re where to setup.My friend said there is an RV Park close by the the salt?we also want to come in to Wendover in the evenings for beer and bullshiting.

Any advice appreciated

20. We stayed at a KOA in 2006. It had clean showers and was reasonably priced. Even let me store my trailer in the corner.

21. gas pumper

gas pumper

You really can just camp at the bend with the RV. You are only 10 minutes from town, 5 minutes from the salt. You can leave your stuff at your camp spot when you leave and it will be secure. There are a couple of big truckstops in the NV side of town that have rent-a-showers(one is $2). There's a food market in town. If you need the RV for transportation anyway, no need to park in an campground.

22. hudson48

hudson48

We have booked the RV and will probably camp at the bend and drive into town when we need to.
    How do we go about getting passes to go the the racing?

Thanks for all the info.Hard to get some of these things happening when you are several thousand miles away.

23. firingorder1

firingorder1

You can get your passes at the end of the road just before you hit the salt.

24. FIL

FIL

We just booked our flights from Australia to San Francisco... We'll be in the US from the 1st of August to the 4th of September..

25. hudson48

hudson48

The RV rental company wants the RV washed off underneath before it is returned.Is there somewhere in Wendover we can do that?

26. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

any truckwash should have the wands to handle it. you'd have to check out the truckstop directories. no problem getting it done in Slc for sure. make sure you call and talk to someone to be sure the listing and service is current. sometimes the truckwashes also close up and go home on bad weather days.
    good thing is it will probably cost only 30-50 bucks for a complete wash.

slc is just a couple hours from the flats.
    if you kmake it there, you can't drink in a bar...they have private clubs. good thing about that is if your an asshat drunk you get blackballed. the "bars" in slc are not as trashy and the people respect each other better than alot of places I've tipped a glass.
    Bogey's Private club is a nice place. I had a friend there that was a member and sponsored me in a few times and their resturant was open to the public, inexpensive, top notch, and run by a chef.
    If you like authentic mexican food from the hood the truckstop at the exit for the salt has a cafe run by some mexican brothers that I always tried to hit when I was trucking through there. baha chicken, posole, menudo, all the good stuff except they didn't have Quiche (kwi-chay)porkskin tacos or tacos delengue (beef tongue)
    Red Sunrise on the salt is a beautiful beautiful thing to behold.

27. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

My wife, dad and I went for the first time last year, Figured A guy should go once in a lifetime......and......we will see you there again this year, It was one of the coolest things I have ever seen. we will be driving the hot rods again, hoping for beter weather(we got poored on both ways last year)
    The people there ae amazing, If you have a question they seem to fall all over themselves to answer, and honestly I can't remember a single asshole on the salt. When it's time to leave everybody just natraly gets into a single patient line without any organizers and waits their turn to get out(show me one other event where that many people can leave an event without cussing and fights, trying to cut eachother off and what not!)

And the cars.... you will be walking around snapping your head like everycenterfold was walking past you naked in diferent directions. you will see stuff you won't find anywhere else and a lot of it! Also cool is the last year I've seen a ton of car in the major magazines that I saw in person there.

I'f your going be sure to bring lots of drinks and a good sunshade, Sun glasses are a must, That salt is super brite.

see you there Robert

28. jimbob

jimbob

Looks like a big Aussie contingent this year, we'll be there as well, RV from SLC as well.

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

so stoked. leaving sunday 8/8, meeting up with nosurf somewhere west of omaha, headed to wendover, then to the hamb drags 'on the way home.'

30. donnie

donnie
    from NC

There are a couple a guys that do this when you leave the salt. They setup at the "end of the road". They do a pretty good job, worth the 20 of so bucks.