Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bonding wood to fiberglass

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bob8823, Mar 21, 2015.

1. bob8823

bob8823

I need to bond some wood furring strips to the fiberglass interior of my C cab. Anyone know of
    a good spray on glue or any other good method to do this. Thanks for any help.

Bob

2. Lots of epoxy out there that would work. J-b weld for one

3. slammed

slammed

JimSibley and dana barlow like this.
  4. bob8823

bob8823

I thought about liquid nails but wasn't sure it would hold up in the heat.

5. I would use fiberglass mat.

Lay up a strip of glass larger than the strip of wood you plan on using,then laminate the wood to the strip.

Bonding wood to fiberglass using bonding adhesives or glass can cause the fiberglass to distort. HRP

Paul B and da34guy like this.
  6. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Agree with hotrod primer. Or you could make a paste with resin and microfibers.

7. slammed

slammed

The urethane used to seal modern windshields.

8. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake

What type of wood? Some are much harder to glue successfully than others. If (weak,cheap) Polyester resin is used it is often necessary to encapsulate the wood with a layer of fiberglass cloth when real strength is required. Epoxy resin is WAY better (stronger bond) than polyester.

http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/glassing-cedar-wood-fins-i-cannot-make-resin-stick-to-wood

right from West Marine -
    http://newcontent.westmarine.com/co...53274-FIBERGLASS REPAIR KIT INSTRUCTIONS.docx
    DON'T: Apply POLYESTER RESIN over styrofoam1 redwood, hard woods (oak, walnut, cedar, etc.) or aluminum. Use epoxy resin for best results.

9. oldolds

oldolds

As above, fiberglass resin and cloth. Best to wrap it. That is what most body companys do. Look in boats or cars.

10. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

A soft wood like balsa takes in the resin and works much like the glass strands.
    When used with a vacuum pump balsa and fiberglass make a strong lightweight piece.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I always laid down mat and resin and bedded the wood into it until it set up, but there is something much better on the market now. West System makes it and it is called "Six 10" adhesive. It is a two part epoxy that is thickened and it comes in a caulking gun size tube with a nozzle the mixes the epoxy and hardener together. All you do is lay down a thick bead and put the wood into it and clamp it down until it cures. It is made for the tough marine environment, so it is more than up to the job you are doing.

I used it to do the plywood firewall in my Bantam body and it was SO much neater and easier than mat and resin. No mess, and I could fill voids really well. You get it at marine stores, like West Marine, or on line. Believe me, there is nothing better or easier. My firewall is solid as a rock now.

Don

[​IMG]

jgang, hallrods and Texas Webb like this.
  12. Thanx for that info,Don.

13. bob8823

bob8823

Thanks Don, that's just what I'm looking for.

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

I put some interior trim blocks in a "T" from Speedway Motors, and they said in the directions to do it with Bondo! I thought that was a really stupid idea, but did a test piece- 3/4 " plywood block, "buttered" on the back with Bondo, and clamped in place, AND IT WORKED! I used cloth and resin everywhere else - floor and seatback- but the blocks stayed in fine. 4 years and counting. But that epoxy looks like the stuff to use- neat and simple. Good luck with it.

15. Fiberglass supply companys have a product called "Core Bond" ....is mainly used to bond the wood in
    the bilge area of boats...comes in a paste kinda like peanut butter,easily stays in place while using,,must be catalized..its best to buy in 5 gal pail..But a good glass filler like "Rage" will also work fine

16. hallrods

hallrods

Six 10 would work great I use it on boats daily and it is awesome stuff.

17. dos zetas

dos zetas

I second that West system product line. Their websit shows lots of applications, and they'll reply by e mail to customer questions.

18. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, I wish I had known about Six 10 a long time ago, so much easier than the old mat/resin routine I used to do !

[​IMG]

Don

19. indyjps

indyjps

Learned something new. I always buried the wood in mat and resin. I've used square pvc for supports in fiberglass, also bonded nuts into the square pvc, works really well. If you need wood go for it, these look like really good products.

20. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

21. aircap

aircap

Good info, people. Thanks!

22. patterg2003

patterg2003

Amen to West System epoxy. Works great & sticks well. If epoxy or polyester resin sees sunlight make sure to paint it or put a clear marine spar varnish over it to keep it from getting sun UV damage. The best is to give the wood a full coat of epoxy resin to seal the wood for added protection to seal water out. It also keeps water from affecting the wood should water creep in between the wood joints. It will protect the wood from moisture should it get in between the wood parts. Boat suppliers also carry structural foams or balsa core board that can be used to reinforce fiberglass. You can build ribs from foam, bond them to the fiberglass then put layers of matt or glass over the foam. It makes for a strong light structure.

Glenn

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    jgang likes this.
  23. Martin Harris

Martin Harris

Liquid Nails and then 'glass over the top. That's how I did it on my C Cab.
    I'd agree with what patterg said about plenty of resin on the wood too.

24. pitman

pitman