Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Bonding a hood scoop, 3M 8115 or 3M 5200?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobss396, May 10, 2017.

1. I'm bonding a teardrop 'glass scoop onto my Ford hood. Yes I did do a search but most posts were old and I'm looking for the best technology.

I found a 3M 8115 Panel Bond Adhesive, a 2 part mix that uses an applicator, which I believe I can borrow. Tube size is 200 ml (~ 6 oz).

The other is also a 3M product, comes in a 3 oz tube or 10 oz caulk type tube. The part number is 3M 5200 and made for marine applications. Seems to have good reviews. There are some SEM products I've looked at that use the applicator, 39537 and 39747. Has anyone had experience with any of these for bonding fiberglass to steel?

Thanks!

racinman likes this.
  2. I would stick to the 8115 or something similar. Evercoat makes a similar product that can be used in a regular caulking gun part number 100815.

The 5200 is a moisture cure urethane like a windshield adhesive. These types of adhesives usually remain flexible which is probably not what you want when mounting something that you are going to paint over.

From 3M's TDS on 5200:
    If painting on top of the sealant, always test to make sure there are no incompatibilities between the paint and the 3M marine adhesive/sealant 5200. Paints almost always crack on top of the sealant due to flexing in the joint.

3. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

I use a lot of 5200 in marine applications. Stays flexible, sticks to almost anything. Too soft to Paint

4. Thanks guys, I was leaning towards the 3M 8115 and will check out the Evercoat product. I may hit up my auto body supply place to see what they suggest. It usually costs me a bunch to walk out of that place!

Binger likes this.

5. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I usually does! Supplies always cost more than I think they should. might help if I bought any more often than I do. haha

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

7. You need to be careful which of these types of products you use as some will actually eat the fiberglass. There are metharcylate adhesives like Fusor 108B that are for metal to metal bonding only. They can also be very difficult to paint over and any exposed product often has to be completely removed before anything else can be applied over it.

Hudson31 likes this.
  8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Used the 3 M panel bond to put a new roof skin on a Chevy p.u. It uses a special applicator gun. So add that into your cost. Don't know about fiberglass, but it works great on metal and problems with paint, was much easier than welding.

9. I'm leaning to the 3M 8115 I mentioned, I may have a lead on an applicator I can borrow. I can get a kit, adhesive and applicator for $86, still a lot. It looks like a 1-part item won't do the trick.

10. That's a pretty good price the gun is usually around that much alone. The Evercoat is a 2 component like the 3M just in a special cartridge that uses a caulking gun. I though another company sold one in the same cartridge as Evercoat uses but I can't seem to find it now. It might have been Dominion Sure Seal which is a Canadian company so it might not be a readily available down there.

11. Got the 3M 8115 locally and will go about borrowing a gun. Supply store and a body guy I talked with said it was the best stuff. Cut the hood out yesterday and started cleaning it up.

12. Allmotor

Allmotor

Make sure you discard the first inch or so out of the nozzle and always using supplied application nozzle.
    3M 8115 is great stuff, held my scoop on at 160mph.

13. I will do that, thanks. I got a 2nd tube and applicator since I have to bond the cut sections of hood so they don't collect water.