Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bolting 289 to old 3 speed tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ltmilkman, Nov 2, 2009.

1. ltmilkman

ltmilkman
    from sdaf

I have a 6 bolt 289 that im trying to put into a 1956 ford sedan that has the original 3 speed manual, does anyone know if this can be done and how? Thanks!

2. Judd

Judd

As I remember you can machine the front input bearing retainer to fit the hole in the 6 bolt bellhousing set the trans on the bell and drill the bell to fit. Tap the holes screw machine screws from the back and use nuts and washers to mount the trans.

3. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

you will also have a problem with the pilot shaft the 289 and all windsor engines use a longer pilot shaft on the yoke . you may be able to get an "extended " pilot bushing though , honestly you would be better off getting a latemodel top loader tranny they are fully synchronized and you can actually downshift into low gear while moving . as far as re drilling the bell housing that can be done . like judd said i did it to accept a saginaw transmission for a race car once . where we drilled the new holes we welded a block of aluminum on the backside and drilled and tapped it . it worked well. on that one i bought a special pilot bushing from Day motorsports

4. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I did this back in 1970 ansd I do not remember any problems or changing the pilot bearing.I did not even tap the bell. Just used self locking nuts and mounted bell and tranny as 1 unit...

5. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

it may work but im pretty sure the pilot shaft won't be all the way into the bushing. if you look at the input shaft on a small block tranny its nearly 3/8 inch longer than the old ones

6. Tech @ BG

Tech @ BG

What about going the other way? I have a 62 292 Y-block for my 56 Ford , bought an original bell housing for it but have a couple of late model top loaders laying around. Haven't tried to bolt it all up yet but am I going to have a similar problem with the input shaft length and the Y-block bellhousing?

7. hotrodfrank

hotrodfrank
    from dearing,ga

you can do whatever you want with it, you find something close and make it work, a old guy told me that one time it was the best advice i have received, good luck

8. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

will the old 3 speed hold up to the 289 small blocks horse power?

9. BanjoBoy

BanjoBoy

anyone out there running 289 sbf with 3 speed early toploader trans?

10. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I got a later 3 speed top loader behind a mildy built 351W, and I get on it all the time Ive had no problems besides stuff vibrating loose... Don't know about the earlier ones though.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

To use a late small block toploader in a 292 or any y-block,you just need to shorten the input where it rides in the pilot bushing about 3/8",you can do it yourself.I have one in my 52 Merc with a 292 Y.Oh yea,depending on bellhousing and trans type you may need to turn down the bearing collar to fit the bellhousing.Also if you notice,a late trans has both bellhousing bolt patterns,I happened to get a 64 trans,same bolt pattern as the stock Y trans. ROY.