Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Bodywork and paint on 46 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 2bubbas, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Began a project. Car was built in the late 80's. Having engine, trans and rearend replaced at that time. Very well done so little need but refreshing.

Having paint and bodywork done on my Coupe-Sedan. I took the 46 to a local shop. So far they have replaced 30 or 40 pounds of rusty metal- Mostly a rust free car. Most rust in rockers- inner and outer- front to back. Some rust in trunk and drivers floor.

Brakes, exhaust and suspension finished last year.

Pulled the body off the frame and will detail frame before body sets back on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  2. Sounds good-Do you have any pics you can share?-inquiring minds want to know..

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. Bought the 1946 with a Chev 267 ci V8- Saginaw 3-speed- 9 in Ford in 2011-

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014

5. Looks like you are making some progress -what style are you thinking of going? Rod or Custom ?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Bought from BOBWOP- a Forum member- going to leave pretty much as is- current drivetrain- exterior will still be 100% stock- that was the builder's intent in 1980 and I like that enough to keep- have tried to lower a bit- reverse eye Posie front and blocks in rear- 15 inch wheels-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Hey 2bubbas. I like your coupe and your plan to leave her essentially stock on the outside. They can look pretty dang good with the bit of lowering you are planning. I can empathize with you on the hidden rust issues. These things seem to be able to hide those problems pretty well as you can see from my pics.. A barrel full of rust! :rolleyes:

RustyQuarter_Floor.jpg
    SomeRust.jpg

Hope you're on the road soon!

Dave

8. Plan is to be done by June 2015 for next Summer-

Interior sometime over the following Winter-

9. What it looked like at purchase-
    [​IMG]

10. cmarcus

cmarcus

That's a cool coupe! I like the simplicity of the build the way you bought it. Lower it a bit, freshen it up like you are doing, and drive the heck out of it!

11. Thanks! Like that it was changed up a bit when I bought. Figure I can do what I want to make it ours.

12. Underbody blasted and undercoated- body strip about done- firewall- filling of extra holes- then bodywork and paint- could not remember how to show pictures- but little going on-

13. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I know the guy that built and owned this car. Don Ballinger from Des Moines Iowa. When it was first built the 267 was adapted to the stock trans and after about 5 years he swapped out the trans and rear end. That small alt and the 267 is how I recognized the car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

bobwop likes this.
  14. I bought through BOBWOP and knew it was from Iowa but don't think I knew builder's last name-

15. Gman0046

Gman0046

Like the idea of leaving the exterior stock. My 46 Convertible has every piece of chrome and stainless it came with from the factory. Amazing how just a set of steelies and lowering makes it look.

16. Firewall in paint- GM- Stealth Gray Metallic-
    [​IMG]

17. Reassembly checking gaps- then blow back apart- paint by years end!
    [​IMG]

18. opunui

opunui
    from Honolulu

Looking good!

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Wish my 46 was that far along or looked that good ! :)

Don

20. bob b.

bob b.
    from peoria az.

I like your car I am just starting mine I see you have standard trans how is your clutch set up is it hydraulic

21. I did not do the drivetrain- I do know it is a Monza bellhousing (cable clutch linkage) mid 60's Saginaw 3 speed using the orginal cloumn shifter-

22. I've seen photos of yours when you first tore it apart- will be a nice one-

23. Some paint-
    [​IMG]

Primed and blocked-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

Man you guys are really makin progress, looking good!

I just purchased a 46 last week. Got some work to do myself.
    I'm following along with great anticipation.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. In the booth- last prime- then paint-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    New floor board-
    [​IMG]

26. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

It's always worth it to take the extra steps to make it a solid automobile. The vehicle will live longer and give you great pleasure for years to come.

27. Had hopes for color by years end- another coat of primer today- so doubtful-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]