Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Body weight

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by FNG, Dec 13, 2017.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Ok no wise remarks but I have my body only ready to go to the media blaster and I am having a time getting a trailer to take it to the guys shop, being as its over an hour and a half away I'm not putting it on a flatbed so I have a small trailer that can hold 3 full dress Harley's so its not a lightweight piece of junk form the big box stores but I was curious if anyone had any idea on what a 48 Plymouth coupe weighs no door or front clip.

Thanks for the help

2. squirrel

squirrel

Just the body, no chassis? or does it have frame, wheels suspension?

3. Hombre

Hombre

Jim raises a good question as to just how much of the car is actual there. If it is just the body I am pretty sure you are good with the trailer you have. Harley's are heavy bikes with the average being around something like 700 lbs or so. I would be surprised if your body alone weighed a lot more than that at 2,100 lbs. Add a frame tire's and wheels and like Jim suggest a suspension then it is a whole different deal.

4. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Plymouth body comes in under 1000 lbs...I know ..I cut up many rusty ones...

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

It will be lighter on the way home. Full dress Harleys are way more than 700 lbs. each. Even if the car is a stripped roller ,you should be fine.

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My entire Falcon, wet, with me in it, weighs less than three Harley baggers.

7. 34Phil

34Phil

My brother and I lifted a stripped '39 Olds coupe with no front clip or glass and held it while his son positioned the wide sawhorses so we could roll the chassis out.

8. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Thanks its a bare steel body no glass no doors no front clip I am making a body cart out of the old chassis but it will only be the section right under the body front and rear section gone the way of the cutting torch

9. squirrel

squirrel

without the suspension parts of the frame, it should be under 1000 lbs.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

hour and a half away? I'd use a nice big car hauler trailer. if you did that, you wouldn't have to ask if it would work.

11. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

FNG,Be careful with your blaster if there not familiar with sheet metal blasting that can warp panels beyond repair.

12. Small Uhaul trailed with 3 pieces of 2x4 and some straps put the body on top of the stake sides on the 2x4's and strap it down. I did a 40 merc conv.body, like that, no problem. Keep it simple.