Register now to get rid of these ads!

Body Panel Stamping

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NE Speed&Custom, Aug 15, 2012.

1. NE Speed&Custom

NE Speed&Custom

We are looking to have a few body panels stamped for production. I've contacted a few different stamping outfits wih no luck. We already have an autocad files of the parts as well.

Doe's anyone have any contacts? Maybe someone on here can help us out.
    I thank you in advance

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  2. What specific types of panels are you wanting to have "stamped"? Complexity of the geometry will play a role in the cost and vendor capabilities.

3. BobPer

BobPer

How many? How large and complex? Bob

4. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

Are you talking steel tooling, kirksite tooling , plastic tooling????Draw depths...Panel sizes...2-3 parts, ,20 parts, 100 parts???What gage material, any special coatings required???
    If the panels are large, and you only need a few, you may find it advantagous to do a hybred panel , that is part stamping , part hand formed as large tools cost$$$$$ and they need large presses that cost more$$$$$ Shawn

5. NE Speed&Custom

NE Speed&Custom

Ok , sorry for the lack of particulars. Its a one piece panel 18g steel. Belwo are the pix we would be producing 200 or so to start. CAD was done of an NOS panel never hung

Attached Files:

6. speters

speters

Here is a local guy who could make that no problem. Send them a request for quote.

http://www.norpin.com/

That should be an easy one

7. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

The shape of that part is not going to be an issue.....the flanging....well that's another thing. Originally that was probably at least a 2 station ,if not 3 or 4 die...the fact that all the flanges effective lock the die into the backside of the part tells me there were some sliders in the flanging operation , after the basic shape was stamped & Trimmed....The tool to manufacture this part exactly as it is , will be expensive ...probably more than it is worth for 200 parts....now if you send it overseas...it may be doable....until they pirate you stuff ...you may be able to get the main shape in a plastic,(casting resin) die, and then make simple tools to do the flanging in a 2nd & 3rd operation , after you manualy trim the part, or if you spend enough time working on a blank pattern you may be able to have a bunch plasmad' out , stamp the shape & then go back and knock the flanges in....still a little time consuming & pricy.......Good luck , Shawn

8. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

As much as I wish it wasn't so, I was thinking the same thing.

9. NE Speed&Custom

NE Speed&Custom

Thanks everyone for the responses, we brought he panel over to the local tech school and they are in the process of creating a 3D model using a 3D printer. We got some great leads for stamping facilities and our next step is gonna be talking with them. Sean you are correct with the stam,ping process. Thanks again everyone. We will update this thread as we continue the process

10. shawnspeed

shawnspeed
    from Attica Mi

It would be alot easier to just cast your part, you can primer & wax it , and pull molds , or a plastic die, with NO machine time. After your female is made, lay sheetwax in it to replicate metal thickness, & cast the male die , with a backer plate.....No data needed....Your part is the data...That is how we would do it in the prototype shop, If we had a part to start with...Shawn

11. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've been in the hobby for 50 years and haven't got a clue what the part fits, is there a market for it? Bob

13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it weren't for that front (?) flange, I'd be thinking hood scoop.

14. exline

exline
    from PA

Is there any updates on this thread? I watched it originally and wonder how it worked out.

I am looking at having some parts made that i now make by hand. Mostly floor pans and rockers.

15. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks like one of those F-??? ford truck scoops. Lippy

16. So you have a cad drawing of the exact part? How accurate is it? Have you allowed setbacks for the tooling or it is just the part and nothing else.

Tell you why I ask. I used to work tool and die and the company (pre CAD), if someone wanted tooling for a specific part as in reproduction we wanted the part not a drawing of the part. There is always the customer satisfaction end of the business and if the part doesn't fit for what ever reason the customer never seems to understand that it is because the drawing is off a little bit some where.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  17. CutawayAl

CutawayAl
    from MI

The die to stamp a hood will not simply be a copy of the finished part. Due to how metal behaves when being stamped, and due to the elasticity of the metal causing what's called "spring back", the die will be shaped and sized to compensate.

Today computers can predict those compensations and usually be pretty close on the first try. In the past it was a lot of rule of thumb, educated guessing, and experience.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  18. eppster

eppster

Wow !!! There's a lot of knowledge and leads here in just a few posts. I gotta say that I'm impressed and humbled by my lack of knowledge on the topic.

19. exline

exline
    from PA

Were you ever able to get your part stamped? I am looking into having some floor pans and other parts stamped and dont really know where to start. We are hammer forming everything now.